PDA

View Full Version : Cryengine free SDK released!

Ernest
08-17-2011, 09:42 PM
http://www.develop-online.net/news/38462/CryEngine-goes-free

The toolset is available for download at crydev.net, Crytek’s new web portal for the mod and development community, and the German independent has pledged to update the tech regularly. The SDK is only available for PC games development, Crytek added.

A little crashy but speed and looks compensate.

lardbros
08-18-2011, 06:47 AM
...and the road tool doesn't work. Not sure they used it in Crysis 2, but would be nice if they actually fixed it for us! :(

tyrot
08-21-2011, 01:02 PM
was there somewhere good CRYSIS exporter for LW?

lardbros
08-22-2011, 03:11 AM
was there somewhere good CRYSIS exporter for LW?

Yeah there is... Take a search for it in these forums, it's in here somewhere. I think he coded the exporter with cryengine 3

walfridson
08-22-2011, 03:21 AM
Ye did it for cryengine 3 beta. But you can also select version 2 which I tested with crysis war editor.

lardbros
08-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Ye did it for cryengine 3 beta. But you can also select version 2 which I tested with crysis war editor.

Hey walfridson! Just out of interest, how long did it take you to code the exporter for LW? Was it hard work?

archijam
08-23-2011, 07:11 AM
We <3 Johan ! :thumbsup:

walfridson
08-23-2011, 09:16 AM
No it was pretty easy, mine doesn't support rigs animation etc.
Hm maybe I'll install the freebie and see if it still works

Love u too ;)

lardbros
08-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I've had a play in the past with your plugin and it certainly used to work in Cryengine 3. Just have neglected the LW part of the equation for exporting from... tend to use 3ds max because it's so deep in our pipeline. Had a few issues with weird errors on smoothing in the LW exporter and never got round it, despite trying everything you said. :(

Tima
08-25-2011, 06:10 AM
hi there,

Walfrison, i have tested you exporter and it works pretty fine, for now wwith a very simple model and the proxy.
I investigate a little to understand why sometime my uvmap is completely destroyed into sandbox editor. to spot the thing that is coming with my model, is reexport it in obj from the editor.
the model is a plant model, withou volume, just alpha channel to manage the transparency. the leaves are copyied several time and so, on my uvmap the leaves uv coords are superposed the one on this other.
i was suppose that this could be the problem with the uvmap, so i made a simple cube and uvmapped with the same technias my plant, model. after convertion of the model in cgf format, the model has no problem in sand box editor.
I also investigate in the usage of the collada format, but ressource compiler don't really create the uncompressed cgf file.
i follow the instruction from the sdk doc that you can read there :

http://sdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC3/Using+the+Resource+Compiler

if any people have find an issue to use the collada format from lightwave it could be usefull to share his knowledge :)

On crydev forums it the tottaly loose, there is no reference for collada, excepted this message, thank google..

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=315&t=69271

walfridson, where did you find the information about the CGF structure data, is your exporter use the coladda format to exchange between resource manager, i notice that your exporter only works since the version 9.6 of lightwave, maybe it come from the nex collada importer/exporter provided with the 9.6 version.

bye!
Fuzz

Edit: i just have succesfully loaded a gallimimus dinosaurs model, with your exporter, and it works pretty fine!
There is no problem with the only one uvmap i have on it, no overlapping except that the uvmap is symetrical
my model also have severals weightmaps, and this result in a good process without any imcompatibilities problem with the exporter :)

walfridson
08-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Hey Tima
Crytek made a bunch of tutorials for softimage on exporting breaking signs, exploding barrels etc... I exported all content to lw, geometry + textures - then made sure I got the exact same working result as from softimage. I hope the setup is the same now as it was in the beta version I was testing.
Both the softimage and maya exporters works the same, export a .dae file(veeery custom collada format....) and sends it to rc.exe.. So I just studied the .dae from softimage in a text editor basically.
Yes, cryengine only support one UV per asset so I would recommend working like this in LW.. However if you have two polys assigned to two different UV's - these UV's should be merged to one UV on exporting. But if polys are merged etc you could run into trouble.

lardbros
08-25-2011, 11:00 AM
I'll give it another go... maybe my objects were too basic, and I was put off by the errors. I never tried again. I'll give it a whirl in 10.1 and see what I get! :D

Thanks for the response.

Oh, and what is 'Nitro'? I saw it on your website, and couldn't find anything here about it. Is it similar to Poetry in Motion? ;)

walfridson
08-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Oh... Nitro.. Way too big project for my spare time... I wanted to plug in the vehicle stuff from newton game dynamics into lw.. got the basics going though http://vimeo.com/5986440 ... :D
Hopefully hurley will put that stuff into his iBounce.. then you could rig up a "reelmotion" rig in lw whohaaa

Will install the free cryengine and give it a go as well. I don't have softimage and maya so if you guys have any problems with an object in lw which works in either of those two. feel free to send me .obj + .dae(sometimes in zip next to cgf). Thanks!

walfridson
08-25-2011, 11:10 AM
and in case anyone missed the video on exporting from lw to cryengine 2..
mute http://vimeo.com/11712167

walfridson
08-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Hm downloaded the sdk. For the beta they had a bunch of asset creation tutorials.. For this freebie non.. Not a surprise I guess :D..

Tima
08-26-2011, 05:04 AM
hi walfridson, thank about this anwser. ;)

Actually it's exactly what i trying with the Collada format,
i downloaded xsi modtool and the crytek XSI addon for cryengine 2, and i investigate on the same thing as you did.
when i try to export a scene provided with the xsi addon, xsi mod tool 7.5 is crashing everytime.
I also have try to export a model as a subset (subset is a direct export in dae without any process with RC.exe, but same reaction ,crashed...

It's pretty difficult to take the hand on the collada file especilly made for crytek engine.

also i continu my test from lightwave, and the FBX free converter 2012
i read that one blender user use, it to make it model valid for Rc.exe
-export a collada file from blender
- convert the file to fbx 2010 version.with fbx converter 2012.
- convert again the file you just have converted into fbx 2010 to dea format again.
idem this doesn't work, but several errors, compared to the original collada file exported from lightwave has disppears.

For now ressource compiler give me the same error every times, and i don't find a way to resolve it.
the error is : 'animation' node has no 'channel' node

for now i only try to export a Static model, but animation setup in the collada format look to be requested to finalize the simple Static model.
about the content of the free sdk, crytek has not realyl give lot of free asset everytime i use a geom entity in sand box, the texture is not provide in the pak files...
This release is not enough mature, sand box 3.3 is crashing a lot when I texturing a terrain with layer painter tool.
oki i will take you informed of my discovery, if it possible to make a full model from collada format, i must find how !

Bye

lardbros
08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Hm downloaded the sdk. For the beta they had a bunch of asset creation tutorials.. For this freebie non.. Not a surprise I guess :D..

It's alright, we have access to all the tutorials and stuff... mostly straight forward modelling stuff, but some of the car rigging tuts are great.

Nitro looks cool... maybe if you get some more spare time eh? ;)

As for poetry in motion, what ever happened to that? I noticed your veggiepaint uses tech from it or something? Is it ever coming to fruition?

walfridson
08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
I feel your pain Tima.. Smallest thing can make rc crash or give you the famous red sphere in the editor.
Hm didnt check yesterday.. You don't the latest v3 exporter for softimage and maya with the free sdk?

Ah cool lardbros... The tutorials/content I was thinking about are breakable sign/table and deformable barrel. Those were the ones I followed and got working in lw.

Tima
08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
hehe, yes really painful :)
well in the Version: 1.0 build [2456] of the free sdk there is no XSI exporter.
You must used the old Crytek_XSI_addon 2.4 who is working with crosswalk plateform 2.5 and higher.
but in the archive and got, Rc.exe is provided , i guess it the ressource compiler of crytek engine 2.
in the configuration of the bin32 path i use the path of the rc.exe provide with the free sdk, ans it could be the reason about XSi crashs,
I will testing again later.

also after more investigation it seem that every export use collada, it including 3dsmax, maya .

In XSI the CryExportNode of your object must be like that : "my_model_cryexportnode"

in maya documentation on their wiki, maya use the inversed thing "CryExportNode_my_model"

in XSI maya and 3DSmax you must set what type of 3D formats you want to use, cgf, cga, caf, chr.

I also get in important information about the crynode, this node need information to configure the convertion. so i got a simple question !
Why when you using collada, withou builded plugins suite. the only thing to enter in the batch file is : rc.exe fullpath/my_model.dae.
therefore i already get the help for RC.exe and the possible parameter that you can use, and nothing excepted if you already have a CGF file :)

To coming back on the CryExportNode , i see that you can group several objects, you must link them to the main cryexport node, and exporting only the object that you want, it look to be easier to export a big model made by several objects.

with lod model cryexportnode is also used, but i notice that is possible to export several cgf that contain the lod model, or you can have them separately.
i need to know if it possible with your Exporter.

Vegetation model can be exported and use all the feature that crytek engine 3 provides.
Imagine you create one or two several leaves with stems, you want to compose a plant with that
you need the main stem crynodeexport+ crynodegroup,
Now each the leaves model have a crynode attached to them, we calls them branch_01, branch_02, etc..
you arrange you composition until you have a nice plant model.
the model don't need skeleton to use the bend features. just one bemol on this, you must set some parameter for the bending, and i don't know where, but it also a thing that i need to test with your exporter.

i think that if the crynode export can be customized, maybe other stuffs made directly into Lightwave could be possible, like caf chr and cga format.

sorry very long reply :)

walfridson
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
That's a real shame. Ye crytek has made v3 friendly exporters for softimage and maya.. Hope they release it later. People can't be using the old exporters...

If you end up with a cgf, cga etc is set inside the dae, so you usually never pass in any argument to the rc. Mostly if you're working on animations for characters...

Ye, you can group several objects under one export node, be carefull with the maximum points and materials. Can't remember what those are :) think for materials it's 32?

Yes you can use lod with my exporter. I remember there are two ways of setting this up. And mine support the old way. Naming objects lod_1 lod_2 or something...

Again grrrr I want those tutorials.. Can't remember how this stuff what suppose to be setup :D...

Tima
08-27-2011, 04:09 PM
i notice that when i try to export a model from xsi, before the software crash, the export want to use crosswalk 2.5
if i try to export a collada file from crosswalk plateform, the version 3.3 is apply.
i try to read the structure of the exported file, but, i feel tottaly lost after so much day to read collada structures datas
with all the technique common and the extra technique profiles ( xsi maxm maya lightwave fcollada), it's really painful, this require a good knowledge of collada strucutre and depending of the fversion of collada 1.4, 1.5 etc..

i made an overview of the structure of one assets ( scene file) i get from the xsi addon, it a tree.

Well i got this :

Scene Root :

CryExportCrosswalkOptions - its the panel from where you select the node you want to export.
CryPropertiesUI - the panel where you setup the bin32 path and the Game Export path.

Nodes settings :

my_model_CryExportNode

ExportProperties - a panel where you setup the FileType, Filename and other parameters like (Exportable and MergeObject)
The geometry is stored into this (null object) but the geometry is cluterized, (trunk; obstruct, leave_01, leave_02)
all cluster has a cryshader applyied as material.

Additional nodes are parented to the main CryNode Export, this are use to manage the tree animations, the blending of the branches, and the possibility to break the model into Pieces/chunks.

Parented to the main My_Model_CryExportNode, a Tree model have several nodes (null object) for branches.
This branches node has no geometry parented to them and a CrosswalkProps definition where you must set the UniqueID and the DisplayName.

This look to be the equivalent of the CryObjectproperties, that we can with you exporter in lightwave layout object properties panel > add CryObjectProperties.

---

Few hours later...

---
Hey back ! with a good discovery hehe
finally Xsi is crashing everytime i export as subset, but a collada file is generated into the game path, i was missed this file before due of the crash i wasn't check out if something was generate at this place
usually it a cgf that is generated there.

well, i opened the file into my favorite software of the moment , notepad++ ^^!

the final name of the cryExport node it something like that. so i guess that you crynode plugin is use to integrate this command into the name of the node, in <node id="my_model_CryExportNode-CGF-my_model-DoExport-NoMerge">

i noticed lot of things that are completely useless in the file ,
i joint a part of my Collada file , generated with lw 9.6 :

- when your model has no animated stuffs, the export will create some data with animation node
- about <visual_scene id="x" >, <node id="x" >, <geometry id="x" > the argument "name=", is omnipresent in the structure of the file.
- you can't excluding from your scene the Lights, Camera, and idem with the animation node, but this is very important to get to the the most clean as possible
and it could be really usefull not only for cryengine export.
- about the data in "node id", there is only the rotation data, and nothing about translation and scaling.
- the collada strucutre use space , instead of the Tabulation, it's not easy to edit :(

<library_visual_scenes>

<visual_scene id="VisualSceneNode" name="crate">

<node id="crate_CryExportNode-CGF-crate-DoExport-NoMerge" name="crate_CryExportNode">

<rotate sid="rotation_y">0 1 0 0</rotate>

<rotate sid="rotation_x">1 0 0 0</rotate>

<rotate sid="rotation_z">0 0 1 0</rotate>

<node id="crate" name="crate">

<instance_geometry url="#crate_lib">

<bind_material>

<technique_common>

<instance_material symbol="Default" target="#Default">

<bind_vertex_input semantic="TEX0" input_semantic="TEXCOORD" input_set="0"></bind_vertex_input>

</instance_material>

</technique_common>

</bind_material>

</instance_geometry>

</node>

</node>

<node id="Light" name="Light">

<translate sid="translation">-200 200 200</translate>

<rotate sid="rotation_y">0 1 0 -45</rotate>

<rotate sid="rotation_x">1 0 0 -35</rotate>

<instance_light url="#Light_lib"></instance_light>

</node>

<node id="Camera" name="Camera">

<translate sid="translation">0 50 306</translate>

<instance_camera url="#Camera_lib"></instance_camera>

</node>

</visual_scene>

</library_visual_scenes>

For now I continue my way with my investigations, the fighting will be so long , this already waste my time for the last five days
but i really want to make it work.
the collada file exported from xsi has been succesfully converted into an uncrompressed CGF. this mean that i am on the right way folks :)
At this moment i always get some errors with the dae files exported from lightwave 9.6 and a rcdone filel that is completely useless.

Tima
08-27-2011, 06:19 PM
let me post all my research :)

clusters are parsed into the collada file with the <triangles> tag,
the main problem is that lightwave use a bad definition for the triangles, the collada export generate a <polylist> tag instead of <triangles>

there is several input data for the triangles VERTEX, NORMAL, TEXCOORD and COLOR

vertex represent the list of the coord for all points of all triangle
normal is the normal of point ? i guess yes, the structure contains 3 values by lines
Texcoord ( uvmap)
Color ( vertexcolor ) i will see if i can write some data from lightwave from a vertex color map.

Now my problem is about the normal for the triangles définition, i hope i will finding an issue for this.

Something else important in the collada file is the UV map

Lightwave use a strange system name !

<technique_common>
<accessor count="24" offset="0" source="#crate_uvmap_array" stride="2">

<param name="S" type="float"></param>

<param name="T" type="float"></param>

</accessor>

</technique_common>

instead of this method

<technique_common>
<accessor count="24" offset="0" source="#crate_uvmap_array" stride="2">

<param name="U" type="float"></param>

<param name="V" type="float"></param>

</accessor>

</technique_common>

About material the technique apply by the lw exporter use <library_images>
but is not necessary.

now about the material definition, because it's important to have to ability to generate the material ( mtl file) by the /createmtl command with RC.exe.

lightwave generated this :

<library_effects>
<effect id="MyMaterial-fx">
<profile_COMMON>
<newparam sid="MyMaterial-surface">
<surface type="2D">
<init_from>MyMaterial</init_from>
<format>A8R8G8B8</format>
</surface>
</newparam>
<newparam sid="MyMaterial-sampler">
<sampler2D>
<source>MyMaterial-surface</source>
<minfilter>LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR</minfilter>
<magfilter>LINEAR</magfilter>
</sampler2D>
</newparam>
<technique sid="common">
<blinn>
<diffuse>
</diffuse>
<texture texture="MyMaterial-sampler" texcoord="TEX0"></texture>
</blinn>
</technique>
</profile_COMMON>
</effect>
</library_effects>

but it the wrong way!

we need to have the following structure :

<library_effects>
<effect id="MyMaterial-01-_01_MyMaterial-fx">
<profile_COMMON>
<technique sid="default">
<phong>
<emission>
<color sid="emission">0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</color>
</emission>
<ambient>
<color sid="ambient">0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</color>
</ambient>
<diffuse>
<color sid="diffuse">0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000</color>
</diffuse>
<specular>
<color sid="specular">0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</color>
</specular>
<shininess>
<float sid="shininess">0.000000</float>
</shininess>
<reflective>
<color sid="reflective">0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</color>
</reflective>
<reflectivity>
<float sid="reflectivity">0.000000</float>
</reflectivity>
<transparent opaque="RGB_ZERO">
<color sid="transparent">1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 0.000000</color>
</transparent>
<transparency>
<float sid="transparency">0.000000</float>
</transparency>
<index_of_refraction>
<float sid="index_of_refraction">0.000000</float>
</index_of_refraction>
</phong>
</technique>
</profile_COMMON>
</effect>
</library_effects>

For the material Id, i understand a little bit better how the ID is assigned into the collada file.

The name in the collada structure file must be something like "MyMaterial-01-_01_MyMaterial" , where -01- represent the ID value of the material.
this material Id seem to be assigned in the <triangle> node,

on hour later..

Vextex color map are not exported with 9.6 for the dae format.

no way to export the vertex normap map... i can read a mention to this in the surface editor, but i don't find a way to get something in the dialog list button.

it's eem that if lightwave cannot export the vertex normal , it's will be impossible to make model with lightwave, except if a plugin generated it itself and the data generated are correctly parsed into the collada structure of the model file.

:bangwall:

Tima
08-27-2011, 06:39 PM
i found i new way !
lightwave export the vertex normal with fbx(binary), i only have tested the fbx exporter from the modeler 9.6.
with autodesk fbx converter free 2012, i convert the fbx (binary) into a fbx 2012 ascii.
i open the file look into it and discovert he normal values !
the material is set up to phong and fit better with the one that are accepted by ressource compiler.
The polylist has been transformed into a triangle tag.
i will have to resolve the node things by exporting with the layout and also the material ID stuff, because i have no node from the modeler :!

Tima
08-31-2011, 05:01 AM
hi again!

unfortunally the lightwave collada exporter look to be totally useless.
no vertex normal data into the exported file. i try it with 9.5, 9.6 and 10 discovery version of lightwave.
In lightwave 10 the collada format is the worst i never seen with my eyes.
newtek has developped another technology called " Lightwave CORE", the collada objects data is the native format use by the software.
But the exporter has been developped only for one reason !
Data exchange between lightwave 10 and lightwave Core...
all data are builded and exported with only <technique profile = LWCORE>
now if anyone know with what i can read this useless file, FBX 2012 free converter, can't read <technique profile= lwcore>
Conclusion : newtek as rebuild his own collada format that only lightwave can read.
Yes ! exactly lightwave has no collada exporter, shame on newtek again.

If you want to export anything to the Crytek engine, you need to investigate on the FBX exporter, this one export the verxtex normal data.

- exporting in fbx from the modeler : you will need a null object, this mean that you can't export in fbx from the modeler.
- exporting fbx from the layout :
you have two choices "exportFBX" and "export to fbx".

the first one, you can choose what you don't want to export ( like animations, camera and lights scene datas. but you can't choose the version of FBX2006 , 2009 and the final file is a binary file...

the second ( export to fbx), you can't excluding data like light camera and animation..

A question really simple if newtek developpers read this.
why the fbx export is not unified ?
you didn't never resolved the 8.5 transparency issues in the modeler.
until i purchase my 6.0 version and when i compare with the 10 discovery version, there is nothing more.

-fake edge management
- all other stuff was released by third plugins authors

i prefer not continue because the list is very very long...
but lightwave already got some very nice things, i am an happy owner of a ep 121 eeeslate from asus, and lightwave is the best user interface with this type of computer ( tablet pc)
the japanese developer plugin that has create sketchmesh, paint weightmaps and some other plugin that reacts directely with the screen, are wonderfull.

Please newtek release a real collada exporter, change the name of the actual plugin, and make the collada data totally invisble, with a LW2CORE plugin connection.
but why have you completely rewrite the collada exporter, is this format type was not made for exchange with ALL 3d software ?

:oye:

lardbros
07-11-2012, 02:50 AM
Hey Johan... i know it's been a while... but have been testing your plugin using LW10.1 and it seems to crash LW straight away.

Have you had any thoughts on doing any more work on it at all? :)

Still using 3ds max for our Cry Engine stuff, but would like to throw some LW in there too.