PDA

View Full Version : Using Vue in Lightwave

SonicN2O
08-17-2011, 03:22 PM
How would one use Vue Xstream in LW?

evolross
08-17-2011, 06:30 PM
It has a set of Lightwave plugins that you load into Lightwave that let you access and add Vue components to your Lightwave scene (e.g. trees, plants, mountains, skies). You then render these Vue components directly in Lightwave versus rendering in Vue stand-alone. If you're wondering how to use Vue, I suggest buying some tutorials online.

AsileFX actually makes a Lightwave 9/Vue xStream DVD tutorial. I own it, it's pretty good. It's more about xStream usage though, and not a how-to on using Vue. Just Google AsileFX.

SonicN2O
08-18-2011, 10:46 AM
OK thanks

SonicN2O
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
A question- how do you get the plugins into lightwave?

Phil
08-19-2011, 04:43 AM
xStream has a plugin installer component. Be aware that, prior to 9.5, the installer was broken for LW10 because of the new folder structure with LW10.

You should also be aware that you cannot use the 10.0 plugin with 9.6, or vice versa. You have to explicitly install the plugin for each LW version within the installer.

If you intend to run Vue 9 rather than 9.5, there are updated plugin installers on the update page - use those. You can re-run the installer at any time to install the plugins for apps you may have added, without needing to reselect the plugins that you have already installed.

Note that, sometimes, the updaters misfire (for me at least) because the Vue config data has become invalid. For me, this tends to exhibit itself as a LightWave 9.5 line in the config file with an invalid path; once I remove that line, all is good. On Mac, the config data is stored in /Users/Shared. I've no idea about Windows.

After the plugins are installed, you will need to manually add the installed plugin file to LW (unless you are using autoscan plugins). Finally, you'll need to import the menu configuration file - right now, I forget where that is, but it is listed in the documentation (as is most of the information above - reading the documentation is always a good start!)

Some caveats :

- If you have Ozone as well, do not try and use it in the same LW session as Vue. Even if you've cleared the scene, etc. If you do, LW will crash.
- Volumetric integration is enabled by activating Vue's 'ray march evaluation' option, accessible under the options / render options dialog. You can save this setting as the default and then any HVs, etc. will be occluded by Vue XS. If you don't, they won't. There is a cost in render time.
- Not everything is supported by VPR. There were some crash bugs in earlier versions due to VPR interaction, but these have been killed off by e-on quite quickly.
- The very latest update finally suppresses the progress bar that pops up on top of all other windows in ScreamerNet mode, etc.
- Render node set up is rather.....tedious and painful. The license server has exhibited a number of quirks that had me unable to use 9.5 properly for over a month. I don't think they have yet released the update that resolved all of these issues for me. I'll have to give them a nudge about it, but at least e-on have been incredibly responsive to bug reports and the occasional vent.
- Vue 9.5 has a bug in its shipping version that means an important configuration file is not created when installing XS as a rendernode. This file has to be manually created to fix the issue. I can't remember the details of the file content at the moment...

SonicN2O
08-19-2011, 08:34 AM
OK... so How would I re- install the plugins to lightwave 10.1? (I have v9.5 of Vue)

Phil
08-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Run the latest plugin installer, available from the regular xStream updates page over at e-on software. You have to scroll down a fair bit of the page to find them. Then just run that installer and choose LW10 from the programs listing, browse to the location of the installed LW and away you go :)

SonicN2O
08-19-2011, 09:43 AM
OK thanks I'll let u know how it turns out :)