PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: need to buy a new monitor

COBRASoft
08-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi all,

One of my 24" Samsung monitors just stopped working :(. I'm in desperate need of a new one.

I was looking for a wide gamut monitor (Dell, NEC, ASUS, ...). I have the Spider 2 for hardware calibration. I read this was required for these kind of monitors.

Can somebody give me more advice? Does a wide gamut monitor work well with a standard gamut monitor on the same GFX card? I have a NVidia 460.

- ASUS PA246Q
- Dell U2410
- NEC PA241W

Greetings,
Sigurd

opm
08-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Dell Ultrasharp :thumbsup:

3dworks
08-18-2011, 03:48 AM
have 2 hp zr24w here for my second workstation, very happy with it. if calibrated it's near the quality of my eizo's ce240w - can be used for photoshop work. not really a 'wide gamut' display, as it just covers sRGB space. otherwise i'd recommend eizo or nec as reliable brands.

biliousfrog
08-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Another vote for Dell Ultrasharp, I have the 2408WFP here (the predicessor to the U2410), S-PVA panel, loads of connection options and excellent colour reproduction once calibrated (using a Spyder Elite here).

Reviews: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

COBRASoft
08-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Thx for the replies.

In my search, I found Fujitsu... Cheap and looks impressive quality (LED backlight). Any1 experience with Fujitsu monitors?

http://ts.fujitsu.com/products/displays/p_line/p27t-6-ips.html

COBRASoft
08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Correction: the LED backlight is only for the 23" of the Fujitsu range.

RebelHill
08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
u2410 here, very happy.

COBRASoft
08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
The Dell and HP seem to do very well overall, but I'm really tempted by the 27" Fujitsu for the resolution and price.

Aaagggghhhh, difficult choice :).

crashnburn
08-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I've got a narrown gamut monitor and a wide gamut monitor working together. They can be both calibrated and then the two colour management files used. Although the spyder software for my calibrater supposedly wont support multiple displays, I managed to do it with Windows 7.

prometheus
08-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I had a samsung 24 monitor before, stopped working after maybe 2 years...never a samsung again, the touch panels where annoying to since it didnt react properly if you put your fingers on the start touch indicator.

I got me the dell ultrasharp 2410 now at work and at home, and I am very satisfied with it.

Michael

COBRASoft
08-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Prometheus: same here, 2.5 years old, completely dead :(. NEVER again...

crashnburn: thx for letting me know. As far as I remember, the Spyder 2 has no functionality for a wide gamut display. So, I'll have to find another calibrator that does. The LaCie Blue Eye Pro seems do be the 'best', but damn expensive.

So, it's between the Dell U2410 and the Fujitsu P27T-6 for me :).

Lightwolf
08-20-2011, 05:07 PM
I've got a gorgeous 20" Samsung running for more than four years now, does that count as well? ;)

COBRASoft
08-20-2011, 06:24 PM
LightWolf: I have (had) 2, same age, same treatment, 50% failure, not acceptable for this pricetag! ;)

Lightwolf
08-20-2011, 06:55 PM
LightWolf: I have (had) 2, same age, same treatment, 50% failure, not acceptable for this pricetag! ;)
Which only means that neither of our samples have a statistical significance ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Quiet1onTheSet
08-20-2011, 08:38 PM
I've got a gorgeous 20" Samsung running for more than four years now, does that count as well? ;)

Hey, Lightwolf -- Let me guess: you've got really decent surge protection in your computer/monitor setup, correct?
:hey:
Q1

COBRASoft
08-21-2011, 01:30 AM
I have an expensive surge protection, clearly that didn't help me :).

Lightwolf: I'm not a statistics guru, but I've read more problems with these Samsung monitors in the last couple of weeks. Both of mine had pixel problems already. I still have 2x 20" HP 2035, very old ones, both still work perfectly, no pixel issues.

prometheus
08-21-2011, 04:34 AM

It does count for that Samsung at least got One satisfied customer...well done:D

Before my flat samsung wich didnīt last long, I had a samsung crt monitor...and you know what..didnīt last more than bearly two years before it started to flicker all the time.

Michael

COBRASoft
08-21-2011, 05:18 AM
^^ :compbeati:

biliousfrog
08-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Prometheus: same here, 2.5 years old, completely dead :(. NEVER again...

crashnburn: thx for letting me know. As far as I remember, the Spyder 2 has no functionality for a wide gamut display. So, I'll have to find another calibrator that does. The LaCie Blue Eye Pro seems do be the 'best', but damn expensive.

So, it's between the Dell U2410 and the Fujitsu P27T-6 for me :).

The Spyder 3 supports wide gamut, that's what I'm using here. You can calibrate all monitors in the room to look the same too...although that can mean reducing the quality of the better monitors to level the playing field.

What I will say about the Dell Ultrasharp monitors is that they have the best warranty I've known. They are also the only monitor brand to offer a ZERO dead pixel guarantee worldwide. Most have a clause about dead pixels within a certain area or have different warranties in different countries/regions. If a Dell Ultrasharp monitor has a pixel failure within the 3 year warranty they'll swap it within a few days...I doubt you'll get that with the Fujitsu.

There's a phrase that I live by - Buy cheap, buy twice - it's usually sound advice.

Lightwolf
08-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Hey, Lightwolf -- Let me guess: you've got really decent surge protection in your computer/monitor setup, correct?
:hey:
Q1
No, never did either. The grid here is very stable.

Cheers,
Mike

Sensei
08-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I bought Samsung 19" LCD in May 2003 for 3600 pln, that's 1250 usd for current money. It's still working okay.. After 3100+ days of using > 12 hours per day..
I have only Samsungs here.. :p

One Samsung TV LCD was damaged (2-3 months after warranty ;) ), but fixed it in a couple minutes, just replaced couple capacitors. Cost 1 usd.

COBRASoft
08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, I've finally decided: Dell u2711. Found an online shop in Belgium: € 586 (VAT, packaging & transport incl.).

Thx to everyone who helped me with my decision. It seems the support from Dell is superb as is the quality. This price was almost the same as the Fujitsu (quality unknown).

prometheus
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Well, I've finally decided: Dell u2711. Found an online shop in Belgium: € 586 (VAT, packaging & transport incl.).

Thx to everyone who helped me with my decision. It seems the support from Dell is superb as is the quality. This price was almost the same as the Fujitsu (quality unknown).

I think that was a wise choice..heck!..now you even got me yelous, I want one too..

Maybe..if I buy one...I could put my "old" dell 2410 on my oīther computer wich currently has a crt monitor found in some garbage container:)

Michael

COBRASoft
08-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, would be a good idea. I already like the big resolution and I haven't even seen it yet :). As a developer you can never have enough space on your screen.

I'll post my findings inhere once arrived and tested.

Another question. What do you people use... Adobe RGB or sRGB on these wide gamut screens?

RebelHill
08-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I didnt see a specific instruction regarding the use of srgb/adobe on my 2410... but what Ive seen is...

If I use the calib file that comes supplied with the screen (cos the dells are individualy pre calibrated on manufacture)... and load that into the windows colour settings, then use the srgb preset on the screen itself, then the colour accuracy is pretty much dead bang.

If I set the screen though to adobe, the reds are a lil oversaturated (meaning they come out on other devices/print a lil under sat)... it makes no difference if I set adobe to my working space in photoshop, and/or if the files are set to adobe.

I suspect that this is due to my windows setting, and If i set windows option to be adobe instead, then setting my monitor to adobe mode would give me the same kind of matching.

COBRASoft
08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok, my u2711 just arrived and is up and running in sRGB mode for the moment.

IT'S AWESOME!!! So much free space suddenly on my desktop. The picture quality is beyond my expectations. I'm working on it for 5 minutes and my 24" seems small already :).