kallis
08-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Seen this?

http://quma.jp/en/quma/

//Kallis

erikals
08-17-2011, 08:54 AM
that rocks; (!)

...though i guess IPI Desktop mocap beats it in price...?

kallis
08-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Yes, maybe...but cool anyway!

//kallis

ericsmith
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
There was a time when I would have thought this was a great idea, but not so much anymore.

Fundimentally, a system like this has the same pitfalls as using IK Boost. While it may be easy to pose, ultimately, the system is all FK. So your animation is going to suffer from the same interpolation issues.

Eric

Philbert
08-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I did see this a couple weeks ago. It looks pretty neat for sure, but I don't really see how it would make things easier for animation. It looks more like a posing tool than an animation tool.

Pavlov
08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
interesting. where did u find purchase/price page ? also, where can i find infos about IPI Desktop ? I'm interested in a posing system like this for posing chars for archviz (stills).

paolo

Philbert
08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Are you referring to IPISoft (http://www.ipisoft.com)? I've been using the 30 day trial of that myself with my Kinect (http://youtu.be/rvOa-8DHX8E).

As for Quma's price I don't think there is one as it's not currently in production. I think they're trying to get funding.

Shabazzy
08-17-2011, 08:10 PM
It's definately interesting, but I don't see it removing the need to understand how your 3D app of choice riggs and manipulates models traditionally.

Still, in animation work, it could be useful for extremes and breakdowns.

LW_Will
08-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Yeah, you are probably right, Eric... no, wait?

Who did that, posing with FK all the time? Who?

I know, Ray Harryhausen!! ( :kidding, btw: )

Its listed on the site as an HID (Human<oid> Input Device). Remember the old DiD that ILM did for Jurassic Park? Here you go.

WANT! Very much WANT!! How much? WANT!!

biliousfrog
08-18-2011, 03:40 AM
I saw it a few weeks ago, I couldn't care less about how good it is for posing 3D models (well I do a little bit)...I just think it would look awesome on my desk...WANT!

erikals
08-18-2011, 04:56 AM
great device for artists collaborating with directors,
im very curious about the price though...

$500...?
$5000...?

Dexter2999
08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Hmmm.... for $500 it would be a nice input device.

for $5,000 it better perform on my desk what is being played back from LW.

Greenlaw
08-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Wow, that's cool! Yeah, we were just saying here that this looked like a modern version of the DID or the Monkey (remember that?) There are guys here who have a stop motion background (including myself to a lesser degree) who are very excited about this tool. Hope it's affordable. :)

dblincoe
08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I wonder how easy it is to "map" to your character? Does it help create a rig compatible with the input device? To me, the rig is going to make or break the animation capabilities.

erikals
08-20-2011, 02:40 AM
There was a time when I would have thought this was a great idea, but not so much anymore...

ditto that,... looks fun though... \:]

Cryonic
08-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Seems interesting, but also limited. Should work fine for normally proportioned humans, but what about elongated/foreshortened arms or legs.

jasonwestmas
08-20-2011, 10:02 AM
This is kinda cool for people who get tired of cycling between move, rotate, xyz, HPB modes but I don't get how this helps with an actual animation workflow. I mean is a perspective 3D view on a screen still too 2D for them to where they need to resort to a material object to pose a 3D character on the screen?

jasonwestmas
08-20-2011, 10:09 AM
There was a time when I would have thought this was a great idea, but not so much anymore.

Fundimentally, a system like this has the same pitfalls as using IK Boost. While it may be easy to pose, ultimately, the system is all FK. So your animation is going to suffer from the same interpolation issues.

Eric

Unless this is like a Character Studio or Motion Builder rig where you can switch between IK and FK at any time and all FK data gets put on every bone automatically.

prometheus
08-20-2011, 01:15 PM
It will probably work with daz and poser and some others, but once translated to a lightwave rig..wonky wonky..axis all wrong etc..

sorry for painting the devil on the wall:devil:

Michael