PDA

View Full Version : NPR style render

paulhart
08-16-2011, 09:46 PM
This is a work in progress, NPR style rendering. I am including a still from midway through and a link to a short MP4 video. First full draft, will review and tweak. Comments are always welcome. Started the bulldog in Lightwave, finished, UV and first color in modo, finished painting in 3DCoat, back to Lightwave for rigging and animation. I am posting it here for those who don't "travel" but it is also on the other forums since multiple apps are always involved in this kind of work.
Paul
http://www.hartworks.net/lightwave/bulldog_222.png
The Movie----http://www.hartworks.net/lightwave/bulldog_v1.mp4

borkus
08-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Looking very nice Paulhart. How long would you say you have in the project currently?

calilifestyle
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
That's a great dog render.

paulhart
08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
calilifestyle, thank you. I have always tended towards the NPR style and this one got closer than previous efforts. It is fairly stable across time in the animation. I wish I could use UnRealExtreme2 for a bit more expressive line quality, but the plugin continues to act up on my system??

borkus, always a difficult one to assess. This project is mostly directed towards a personal animation project. I have built all of the models, but the bulldog specifically was created with a client in mind also, as a demonstration of concept. The rendering style is something I want for my own needs. By completing this demo, I hope the client decides to use it in some applications for their agency. Since this is a non-paying gig currently, it was worked on during lulls in paid work. I rigged each of the characters 4-5 times before I got the movement I wanted out of the rig. I can model, UV, paint, and design just fine, but rigging has been something to strengthen in my skill set. This has been a great education in this aspect.
So, the modeling was done a month ago, over a couple of days, bits of hours here and there. The UV work and painting was another day?? The rigging, was more a learning curve than straight time. It all takes way more time than most people imagine. Setting up the animation was a day?? The animation rendering and compositing of the frames was a whole day in itself. For reasons that are always beyond understanding, some frames in my humble renderfarm (four stations) occasionally kick out odd rendered frames. So I had to go through and locate the offenders, and re-render odd sequences. Annoying and time consuming. Hope this helps.
Paul

jasonwestmas
08-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Need some more AA for the lines imo but really nice otherwise.