PDA

View Full Version : Help With Bones Please

Michael Lizak
08-16-2011, 10:36 AM
I have these horse reigns that are controlled by bones. When I enable deformations, they go up too high. Have a weight map that is 100% at the high areas. I can see there is some sort of offset from the origin, but can't figure it out how to correct this. Anyone got a tip? Thanks.

RebelHill
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Hve you rested them properly at their base state?

Michael Lizak
08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
RebelHill, thanks for the tip. I believe I did what you suggested, but I still can't get it right. If I may, I attached the problem project. Do you think you might take a look? Would appreciate it. -Michael

Michael Lizak
08-16-2011, 12:33 PM
RebelHill, I figured it out with your suggestion. -Thanks

Nangleator
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
If you've got it working, that's great. But this kind of project screams for Cloth Dynamics. Here's how I'd get started with it:

Set a Fixed weight map for the bridle end of the straps, and where the hands go. Use just one or two bones, where the hands control the straps. Set a weight map for those bones, so just the end points of the straps are affected by the bone(s). Animate away, and ignore the horrible deformation of the straps.

From the neck of the horse, create a collision object, to keep the straps from clipping through the neck. Make it invisible, but parented to the actual horse.

Add Cloth Dynamics to the straps, using the Fixed weight map for the fixed points. Calculate.

Much more natural movement to the reins. Make sense?

Michael Lizak
08-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Nangleator, Thanks for the workflow. Cloth was my first thought too, but there is one small problem... I suck. 30% of my work is 3D and the rest is 2D animation, design, etc... I've worked in LW for 10 years & I most often end up with a twisted mess when rigging & using complex animation effects. The only reason my 3D work is OK is that I have a high threshold for pain. Never stop trying though, always going through William's tutorials trying to wrap my head around the various disciplines & procedures attempting to get dependable & predictable setups.

Nangleator
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
... one small problem... I suck.
That's a burden I deal with, as well!

It was quick for me to write that out, but actually doing it might take me anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours.

Michael Lizak
08-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Nangleator, Appreciate the time you took to explain the steps. I will give them a go. Thanks.