PDA

View Full Version : Rigging, Expressions, and Unique Names

BlueApple
08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
I have setup an object composed of multiple layers, bones, etc. with a couple of nulls. The two nulls control different bone rotations via expressions in the graph editor.

What I wanted to do was then import this rigged element multiple times into a new scene, as I need to have about 20 of them.

The problem is that once these items are in the same scene together, they are all controlled by one null, whereas I wanted to control them individually using their respective null controllers.

The (obvious) problem is that the expressions all point to a single null, and don't rewrite themselves on import to point towards their own controllers.

Is there a way to get around this? Is there an auto-variable-rename-on-import function somewhere? How should I rewrite my expressions?

Essentially I would like a way to write this...

[FlowerRotation1.Rotation.H]

...without "FlowerRotation1" in there. FlowerRotation1 is the null I am trying to point at; is there a way to rewrite this similar to how one would use a relative filepath in html?

RebelHill
08-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Nope... the only thing you can do really is to use text editor on the scene to replace a given name string (which for greatest simplicity would have the same string present in the null name, expression name, any other relevant name)... to create a bunch of "copy" scenes each with different naming, then import all.

TalleyJC
08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know if peter (mentalfish's) script will help with CA or not but give it a shot

http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/07/free-lscript-hierclone/

BlueApple
08-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've already begun doing it the slow manually way and should be wrapped soon.

@RebelHill: I didn't think of doing a find/replace for a string in the scene file itself. Will perhaps give this a try.

Thanks to you both.