PDA

View Full Version : Morphs?

daz1761
08-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Hello

I am currently working my way through my LW10 book and I am covering most areas of LW but when I discovered the official LW training videos on the Newtek website I discovered something called morphs, after watching a Localized Morphing video I was still unsure what morphing was and I am wondering if there are any basic tutorials to get me started as it looks very interesting and useful as I can imagine using morphs to create a gust of wind blowing through grass?

Many thanks

Sensei
08-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Morph is alternative position of vertex, stored in vertex map, similar to weight map, but having XYZ locations or relative offsets.

Example usage: blinking eye, face animation, character talking.

daz1761
08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Morph is alternative position of vertex, stored in vertex map, similar to weight map, but having XYZ locations or relative offsets.

Example usage: blinking eye, face animation, character talking.

Cheers

So basically say I had a mouth, I would create a morph with the "M" of it closed then open the mouth and create another morph then use a displacement plug in so it so you get a smooth transitions between the both or am i a million miles away lol

nickdigital
08-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Cheers

So basically say I had a mouth, I would create a morph with the "M" of it closed then open the mouth and create another morph then use a displacement plug in so it so you get a smooth transitions between the both or am i a million miles away lol

No you got the right idea. You would model your character in a base pose (relaxed face). Then make morph targets for M, Ooh, Ah, etc. Then in Layout under Displacement, add the Morph Mixer plug-in. This'll bring up your morphs with sliders so you can animate your morphs.

BTW morphs aren't just for character lip sync.

daz1761
08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
No you got the right idea. You would model your character in a base pose (relaxed face). Then make morph targets for M, Ooh, Ah, etc. Then in Layout under Displacement, add the Morph Mixer plug-in. This'll bring up your morphs with sliders so you can animate your morphs.

BTW morphs aren't just for character lip sync.

Waw!

Thank you very much, thats enough to get me started and what a guess lol

Well yes, I have just seen a carpet roll tutorial and he uses a morph to offset the rug so it curls up correctly

So how do you assign the base morph and so on if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

nickdigital
08-15-2011, 02:59 PM
The base is whatever your object is. In the lower right corner of Modeler you should see a series of buttons (W, T, M, C, S). M is for morph. If you select M and click on the drop down menu you should see (new). If you select "new" you'll get prompted for a name for your new Endomorph. Put in a name and then start modifying your model. Now if you click on that pulldown and go between (base) and your new endomorph, you can toggle between the two.

Your base pose is whatever your model is...if that makes sense. What's nice is if you modify your base your morphs will update. For example, if you decide to give your character a longer nose, all your morphs will have the longer nose.

daz1761
08-15-2011, 03:23 PM
The base is whatever your object is. In the lower right corner of Modeler you should see a series of buttons (W, T, M, C, S). M is for morph. If you select M and click on the drop down menu you should see (new). If you select "new" you'll get prompted for a name for your new Endomorph. Put in a name and then start modifying your model. Now if you click on that pulldown and go between (base) and your new endomorph, you can toggle between the two.

Your base pose is whatever your model is...if that makes sense. What's nice is if you modify your base your morphs will update. For example, if you decide to give your character a longer nose, all your morphs will have the longer nose.

Thank you very much

I have created a simple box with subpatching, then i selected just 2 poly's on the front of the box and pulled them after creating 1 morph

I have got it into layout and brought up the morph mixer and used the graph editor to create a Oscillate Post behaviour just to see the box pulsating, it works but i loose the subpatching on the 2 polys that morph in and out

I have attached the modeler and layout file

p.s I was wondering what the relative and absolute does, i have come across it in web design and file systems, is it the same for morphing?

Many thanks

nickdigital
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
You need to set your subdivision order to something other than First. That pulldown is in the Object Properties>Geometry tab.

What you're doing now is freezing the geometry, then deforming it. You want to do the opposite. Deform, then freeze.

A Relative morph means when you change the base your morph updates. See my long nose example. Absolute means your morph won't update if your change your base. Though I think Absolute morphs are broken and to be honest I never had to use them.

daz1761
08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
You need to set your subdivision order to something other than First. That pulldown is in the Object Properties>Geometry tab.

What you're doing now is freezing the geometry, then deforming it. You want to do the opposite. Deform, then freeze.

A Relative morph means when you change the base your morph updates. See my long nose example. Absolute means your morph won't update if your change your base. Though I think Absolute morphs are broken and to be honest I never had to use them.

Excellent ;)

I have updated the geometry tab/subdivision order to "After Morphing" and it works a treat

Ah, I understand better about the 2 different setting now

Thanks again! :)