PDA

View Full Version : New ads for Lightwave in 3dWorld and 3dArtist magazine.... Niiiice! :D

lardbros
08-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Just got the latest 3dworld and 3dartist mags here in the UK, and the new LW10.1 advert is actually VERY nice indeed! The image had me staring at it for quite a while... nice effect Graham (Toms). I was moaning literally the other day that the ads should change every couple of months, just to keep interest, and it was nice to see that it's finally changed after all these months of the same one.

Good one Newtek... now you have to keep this up, and bring us a newsletter too :D

(As a side note though... the latest 3d Artist is EXTREMELY heavy on the Modo infomercial type stuff. A programmer in our team even asked us if we used Modo, as he skim-read the article... and was saying it's better than 3ds max for modelling. Newtek!! These ads do really work... people believe what they read, and then invest... i think we need the same treatment!! Get some coverage in some mags!)

Also, 3dArtist mag was VERY kind in its article regarding CORE, good on them for making good of the situation rather than spouting any rumours! :D

dblincoe
08-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Just got the latest 3dworld and 3dartist mags here in the UK, and the new LW10.1 advert is actually VERY nice indeed! The image had me staring at it for quite a while... nice effect Graham (Toms). I was moaning literally the other day that the ads should change every couple of months, just to keep interest, and it was nice to see that it's finally changed after all these months of the same one.

Good one Newtek... now you have to keep this up, and bring us a newsletter too :D

(As a side note though... the latest 3d Artist is EXTREMELY heavy on the Modo infomercial type stuff. A programmer in our team even asked us if we used Modo, as he skim-read the article... and was saying it's better than 3ds max for modelling. Newtek!! These ads do really work... people believe what they read, and then invest... i think we need the same treatment!! Get some coverage in some mags!)

Also, 3dArtist mag was VERY kind in its article regarding CORE, good on them for making good of the situation rather than spouting any rumours! :D

Heard that the 3dArtist mag even had a Lightwave tutorial? Anything substantial? I'm gonna go check the stands in the US.

lardbros
08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Hmmm, they have had a couple in recent months. Not sure if you mean the Linear Colour Space one or the detective room (film noire stylee) texturing and modelling one?

They weren't too bad... think Matt did a video on LCS which explained it very well anyway. I like the mag as a read anyway... worth flicking through in the newsagents if you're not sure if you want to buy!

Celshader
08-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Any pix of this ad online? I'd like to see it, too. :)

Intuition
08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Though it is rare to see LW marketing... like Nessy or Sasquatch or UFOs... you actually need proof that you saw it or people wont believe you.

But, it is great to see marketing none the less. :tongue:

lardbros
08-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Any pix of this ad online? I'd like to see it, too. :)

Had a quick look online and can't find anything... but took a photo with my phone (rather awful I might add... apologies for the wonky view, and thumb, but had to use a flash, and because of that, had to do it from a wonky angle).

lardbros
08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Though it is rare to see LW marketing... like Nessy or Sasquatch or UFOs... you actually need proof that you saw it or people wont believe you.

Do you believe me now? ;)

The image is nice, an odd angle for the ad, but hey you can't have everything, and it certainly caught my eye.

The copy on the other hand... oh dear, standard Newtek stuff, but hey... don't want to give them a hard time... they are doing something I like by changing adverts. Hope this happens frequently now!! :D

Celshader
08-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Had a quick look online and can't find anything... but took a photo with my phone (rather awful I might add... apologies for the wonky view, and thumb, but had to use a flash, and because of that, had to do it from a wonky angle).

Cool! Thank you for posting this. :thumbsup:

aurora
08-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I saw the cool new creature in 3DWorld last week and was wondering will we be seeing it in the Creature Toolkits? We started out with a couple cools ones and then poof nothing new. Sad, very sad. Now NT make us happy and add this guy into the kits!

LW_Will
08-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Wow! You must mean that the ad that has been in 3D World was a mirage...

Is any of this happening? Are you really there?

You are? Good. Move along and check your sources.

LW_Will
08-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Ooooo... translucent creature. I have one in my new script. Hmm...

safetyman
08-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I saw the cool new creature in 3DWorld last week and was wondering will we be seeing it in the Creature Toolkits? We started out with a couple cools ones and then poof nothing new. Sad, very sad. Now NT make us happy and add this guy into the kits!

It comes with the v10 content stuff. There are also some other fully rigged creatures in there, like that alien moose/cow thing :)

lardbros
08-16-2011, 07:12 AM
It comes with the v10 content stuff. There are also some other fully rigged creatures in there, like that alien moose/cow thing :)

Not all translucent and stuff though does it?

I'll need to take another look!

Afalk
08-16-2011, 07:57 AM
V10 content stuff -- haven't seen THAT in my downloads as of yet :(

safetyman
08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Not all translucent and stuff though does it?

I'll need to take another look!

This is a quick open and render....

Interestingly, the directory on the DVD says, "Creature Kit".

robertoortiz
08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
This is nice.
Good work guys.
-R

Intuition
08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Wow! You must mean that the ad that has been in 3D World was a mirage...

Is any of this happening? Are you really there?

You are? Good. Move along and check your sources.

I can easily see that the pic has been photoshopped, but its a good photoshop covered up with tons of jpg compression. :hat:

Naw but seriously, good for NT. :thumbsup:

Markc
08-16-2011, 12:10 PM
On a similar note, I noticed the ad for DAVE School (which has been in a lot of recent issues of 3D World) used to show LightWave screenshots. This issue it now shows Maya. :mad:

sandman300
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
This as is also in the June/July issue of CGW. (Inside Front Cover)

Chuck
08-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Graham modeled a skeleton and interior anatomy for the creature. Graham and Lino both worked on the texturing/shading, as I understand.

Elmar Moelzer
08-16-2011, 02:07 PM
This is really cool! NTs advertising definitely has improved a lot since Rob arrived on the scene!

monovich
08-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I demand a wallpaper. 16x9. and a free tee shirt! Thanks in advance!

laci
08-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Hmmm, they have had a couple in recent months. Not sure if you mean the Linear Colour Space one or the detective room (film noire stylee) texturing and modelling one?

They weren't too bad... think Matt did a video on LCS which explained it very well anyway. I like the mag as a read anyway... worth flicking through in the newsagents if you're not sure if you want to buy!

Hello lardbros!

Can I ask You which mag You have read this article or watch the video tutorial? I don't understand the whole Linear Colorspace thing. :(
Matt who did the tut.?

Thank You

MentalFish
08-19-2011, 03:37 AM
As far as I know, this creature (Slink) and the blue LW10 alien emissary, are creations of Leigh Bamforth. Of course with input and contributions from others, but ye, Leigh rocks! :) http://scary-monsters.org/artist_portfolio/leigh_bamforth

lardbros
08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Hello lardbros!

Can I ask You which mag You have read this article or watch the video tutorial? I don't understand the whole Linear Colorspace thing. :(
Matt who did the tut.?

Thank You

Sorry... I cannot find the video on Linear Colour Space, maybe it hasn't been released to the public yet? I'm sure it had though. The guy who did it is a bit of a LCS (Linear Colour Space) guru, and the video's helped a lot.

The article in issue 30 of 3DArtist Magazine, and written by Craig Clark... was good, but think video's explain it a little better than text.

If I find the video's I'll let you have a link!!

Shabazzy
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
V10 content stuff -- haven't seen THAT in my downloads as of yet :(

That makes two of us.

Matt
08-19-2011, 03:10 PM
The guy who did it is a bit of a LCS (Linear Colour Space) guru

I'm certainly NOT that! But thanks anyway! :)

(Unless you mean someone else's videos!)

bluerider
08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
here a better image.

bluerider
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I can easily see that the pic has been photoshopped, but its a good photoshop covered up with tons of jpg compression.

Naw but seriously, good for NT
-------------------------------------

The only aspect of photoshop I used was slightly raising the saturation.....honest :angel:

What was cool in this project was I got to work on a great design by a talented artist. I got great feedback from another talented individual from Italy, lino.

As Chuck correctly stated, I modeled Slink's interior, Skeleton structure and internal organs. The internal organs with texture and Normal mapped. Normal mapping was a bit unnecessary, but i couldn't resist, it was fun to do.

The texture mapping of the Skin was also great fun, based on Poison Dart frogs. The skeleton i based on Cats, lizards and humans. The node editor was the "cherry on top", with the new Skin Shader.

:lwicon::lwicon:

lardbros
08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm certainly NOT that! But thanks anyway! :)

(Unless you mean someone else's videos!)

Sorry Matt, meant someone else's video! ;)

Only messing. Well, the video made the whole thing click with me, so you must be almost a guru :)

Philbert
08-20-2011, 05:48 PM
As far as I know, this creature (Slink) and the blue LW10 alien emissary, are creations of Leigh Bamforth. Of course with input and contributions from others, but ye, Leigh rocks! :) http://scary-monsters.org/artist_portfolio/leigh_bamforth

Yes the Slink was used in one of Leigh's free 3D-Coat training videos:
http://vimeo.com/17311673

bluerider
08-25-2011, 09:04 AM
thanks for link. Looking forward to watching this.

:)

Philbert
08-25-2011, 09:10 AM
thanks for link. Looking forward to watching this.

:)

To be clear I don't think he actually made a video on making the slink, he just used the slink as an example in that video.