PDA

View Full Version : best cable/input set up for long runs

hastingstv
08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
TriCaster greetings,

We're a public access station that shoots a lot of indoor and outdoor events with multiple cameras that require 100' runs. We now have the TriCaster Studio and am wondering what the optimal set up for our video feeds would be. We use Canon GL2's which have Svideo and a 1/8" AV jack for outputs. 100' is not an svideo friendly length. So at this point my solution is running CAT5 with CAT5-Svideo converters on either end. CAT5 is cheap, reliable and doesn't lose quality at 100'. Converters run about $30/piece. However the Studio does have other input options that maybe we want to convert CAT5 to if possible. Any ideas, thoughts out there??? Anything is appreciated!

joseburgos
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
You could do component to CAT5. I use the Intelix CAT5 adapters. I have ran it close to 800' a few times and it looked good.

Take care,

vanderwielen
08-15-2011, 01:24 PM
He's using GL2s which don't have component. Get S Video Baluns and you'll be happy.

PIZAZZ
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Well if you want the best solution for cabling then go with fiber.

Not gonna help much with your GL cameras though. With those cameras, the Cat5 and baluns are your best bet. I personally would say stay away from the cheaper Muxlab or MCM Electronics versions. Baluns do come in different qualities.

hastingstv
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses. It sounds like CAT5 with Svideo baluns is the way to go with our Canons. What brand of baluns do you recommend Pizazz? Is there a particular brand of CAT5 we should be looking at (or avoiding) too?

PIZAZZ
08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
We use a tactical grade flexible Cat5 from Clark Wire for our projects. You can literally run a truck over it without issues. (actually has happened more than I would like to say) The cable also rolls up easily. We always keep a couple thousand feet around for last minute jobs. It costs a little more than off the shelf Cat5 but it lasts and lasts and lasts.

hastingstv
09-04-2011, 12:29 AM
FYI for anyone interested - set up worked great. We just shot our first football game with the TriCaster Studio and three Canon GL2's with the CAT5 and s-video baluns and I'm happy to say it went without a hitch. I did get the muxlab baluns too, only ones offered at B&H and were $10 less a piece than some black box ones found elsewhere. And we used 150ft and 200 ft runs for the CAT5 and had no delay, glitch, etc. problems. The quality of the video seemed to be just fine too. Thanks again for all your help on here!