PDA

View Full Version : WebGL Water Effects

SubDProxy
08-15-2011, 07:18 AM
You need Google Chrome to work with this. Have Fun.

http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/

JohnMarchant
08-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Nice

kosmodave
08-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Very cool, thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Dave.

aurora
08-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I get a Shader error in Chrome

link error: [email protected](264,15): warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type
Vertex shader sampler count exceeds MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS (0).

evolross
07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
I can view it in Firefox 13.0.1 fine. I can't get over the soft shadows, simulation, caustics, reflections, refractions, and AO all happening in real-time... WTF?

This is incredible. Was just about to post the link, thought I'd do a forum search to see if anyone else was as impressed as I was.

I know there's a lot on the plate as far as features, but NT needs to roll some of this newer tech into the renderer. Maybe give us the option to do caustics and AO a cheaper way similar to this demo. It looks pretty realistic to me.

evolross
07-24-2012, 07:44 PM
This is amazing too:

http://alteredqualia.com/three/examples/webgl_terrain_dynamic.html

Check out that DOF effect.

SubDProxy
07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
That is wild! Thanks for the link! I really love looking at amazing stuff like this, this blows my mind.
Glen

JonW
07-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Very nice, great for archvis to get a few things moving.

Silkrooster
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Thats cool...

warmiak
07-25-2012, 07:47 AM
I can view it in Firefox 13.0.1 fine. I can't get over the soft shadows, simulation, caustics, reflections, refractions, and AO all happening in real-time... WTF?

This is incredible. Was just about to post the link, thought I'd do a forum search to see if anyone else was as impressed as I was.

I know there's a lot on the plate as far as features, but NT needs to roll some of this newer tech into the renderer. Maybe give us the option to do caustics and AO a cheaper way similar to this demo. It looks pretty realistic to me.

Well, that's just native code components running on GPU hardware - no different than your typical game as far as the rendering part is concerned.

The only difference is that instead of C++ based glue code it is scripted with javascript.

This stuff will not replace renderers build into Lightwave and other apps, but it would definitely be useful as real-time viewport render type of technology.

evolross
07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah, it's really hard to keep in mind that developing highly specialized applications offer the ability to speed up thing to insane levels... and that having similar options in an all-purpose package like LW will need them to be either that specialized that one wants to yell "F-U NT! Why can't I use this here, and that doesn't work either!" or it will be... slooow.
It's a cool demo, but wonder how it looks if the pool had any other shape. Or the collision object would be a box instead of a ball. Or... etc. Now if we get that into LW and the restrictions are "Just sphere collisions (OK, fine, I'll use proxy spheres), only ONE sphere (Uhm... well... ok...), and the pool has to be a perfect square (Are you... kidding me? o.O)" please, anyone, tell me you'd be glad to pay for that? And yes, often these are the kind of restrictions in those demos (not neccessarily for that one, but who knows).
Doesn't mean those examples are not impressive, just means - please forget of ever seeing stuff like this in LW. Ever! By the time LW will have catched up to current demos, those demos will show off stuff LW will not be capable at that time in turn, and people will blame NT for being soooo behind the times again... *sigh*

Good points and well said. It would be neat if there was a way to turn on "cheap" caustics or "cheap" fluid dynamics and then be able to use them when applicable.

Waves of light
07-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Wow. Amazing. Thanks for the links.

The terrain is crazy. Love the DOF with night version on.

rcallicotte
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks. This is cool.

silviotoledo
07-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I tried to take a bath, but had no soap or water wet.

Yeah. Too optimized things for too specific use. Lw will not have this, but I wonder if bullet would give us fast simulations that can be used to make watter also.