PDA

View Full Version : FibreFX Layout guides

j0SH
08-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Is it me or is styling hair using "Edit Guides" in layout really buggy? I'm using 10.1 and for whatever reason the guides don't remain how I had them when I reload a scene or when I load from scene into another scene.

Ideas? Or use sasquatch?!

Greenlaw
08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Just wondering but are you using clean configs as recommended? FWIW, the Layout Guides were persisting for me a few weeks ago during beta testing. I haven't had much chance to use this tool after it was officially released though. (Intend to get back to it after I finish the project I'm working on now.)

Hope this helps.

G.

j0SH
08-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Does it make a difference if I hadn't done any FibreFX work before 10.1?

Greenlaw
08-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Are you referring to configs? If so, yes. Lightwave 10.1 uses different configs from 10.0. In many cases where users have run into problems with 10.1, it has been because they did not start with clean configs as recommended in the installation notes.

Good luck with the new FFX! I was having a lot of fun creating animated hair and fur on a character using a recent version of FFX during the last few weeks of 10.1 testing. However, I had some problems with the new FFX motion vectors and I didn't have time to finish testing that feature with the final release version of 10.1. Hopefully the motion vectors issues was fixed as I am looking forward to trying it again in actual production. :)

Glad I'm reminded about this. Will have to test motion vectors again this week; really don't want to get bitten by that bug during production.

Otherwise, LW 10.1's FFX seemed to be working quite well for me during testing, and it is significantly improved from the version that appeared LW 9.6 and 10.0. Render quality was pretty and realistic, and no more shadow flickering when animated.

G.

j0SH
08-15-2011, 12:13 AM
I like working with FibreFX. Fairly easy to style with decent results. However it's just this little issue that really is ticking me off. I have even set up a separate test object that does what I like. So I'm thinking it is object/scene specific, I just don't know what.

jasonwestmas
09-05-2011, 05:14 PM
All I know so far is that if I change the surface in the apply to surface pull down then I loose all my guide work. I haven't noticed anything else wrong with it in 10.1 so far. Just can't save your guide work in anything but the scene file though.

I think what you can do too is convert your guide work to polygons and save that out so you don't loose it or I suggest just saving a lot of versions of your scene so you always have something to go back to.