PDA

View Full Version : 80's retro arcade cabinet

kevman3d
08-14-2011, 12:00 AM
This is a weekend project - its a generic arcade cabinet (ie. not an official Galaxians one - but I found a few GFX for Galaxians and needed some game to put into it - so I figured why not :D )

Just done scratching it up, and I think at this stage I'll say its finished - and before anybody critiques it here's some facts:

No - the cabinet graphics are not supposed to look authentic to an official Galaxians machine. In NZ, a lot of arcades just had generic cabinets - this is kinda based on that idea, hence why it kinda looks that way. :hey:
Yes - those coin slots are based on what we had here in NZ. Before someone thinks that I should have built those classic "25c" slots. We don't have quarters in NZ - only 20c - but these days its anything from $1 to $2 a game... That said, gone are the days of arcades with the advent of home consoles... 8/
No - you can't play the game. Its a computer model, for gods sake! :D
Yup - That UV map could be tighter (its a bit wasteful of space - the original is 3072x3072 (this ones a 512x512 preview of it))

But seriously, always open to critique and ideas. Its unlikely I'll change this model since it was more a time-filler project, but I'm sure there's always good advice for the next arcade cabinet I model.

JR_LW
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I want to play; I used to play this game at Kutztown University (Tony's Pizza) almost everyday in 1998-99 Very Cool. :thumbsup:

Needs cigarette burns near controls.

kevman3d
08-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Needs cigarette burns near controls.

Nice idea! That's a detail I hadn't considered - and it was fairly common back then where you'd see the perspex with melt marks in it. Well, in those days when smoking in a bar wasn't illegal. :thumbsup:

raw-m
08-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Hi kevman3d, really like it, perfect weekend sized project as well! How did you texture the Galaxian perspex logo at the top, with the light behind? Looks great!

kevman3d
08-14-2011, 03:12 AM
How did you texture the Galaxian perspex logo at the top, with the light behind? Looks great!

Its basically a poly with image, with the translucency set to 100% and the diffuse set to 0.1% - Diffuse is deliberately low for a couple of reasons...

I didn't want any front lighting to affect the surface
Translucency doesn't work if diffuse is 0%

Behind this panel are 3 point lights to provide that "Lightbulb" look - each one is set quite low (20%) and uses a falloff with Inverse Distance^2 (which is the one I tend to use most cause it gives a more natural look - creates a very hot spot close to the light).

The settings are in the image below.

raw-m
08-14-2011, 03:52 AM
Lovely, thanks for sharing. I always overlook that translucency option.

abdelkarim
08-14-2011, 05:19 PM
wow nice and great texturing :D .

brunopeixoto
08-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Good photo!

KSSO
08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Love that scratchin'.. Great work man.... love it!!

MDSPECIFIC
08-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah man, Galaxian, great render! :thumbsup:

evolross
08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Love that scratchin'.. Great work man.... love it!!
+1. As a long-time arcade enthusiast, the texture work is pretty sweet and accurate. It really gives it a photo-real look.

If you ever go to Glendale, CA (suburb of Los Angeles), there's a great vintage/modern video-game warehouse retailer. It's called Vintage Arcade - http://www.vintagearcade.net/

Lewis
08-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Looks beautiful and very real (feels like back to childhood ;)).

sublimationman
08-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Great looking. I spent the better part of my life working on coin op games and equipment.

Those coin slots were common on Nintendo games. And yes many games were cabinet swapped. Still common today, I actually still kit games (put a new board in an old cabinet) for a friend of mine that runs a route.

kevman3d
09-01-2011, 03:37 AM
If you ever go to Glendale, CA (suburb of Los Angeles), there's a great vintage/modern video-game warehouse retailer. It's called Vintage Arcade - http://www.vintagearcade.net/

Damn! Wish I knew about this in 2010 when I was in LA... The last week there we finally worked out the bus route system and went to Glendale to check out the shopping center/galleria.

This place looks sweet! Maybe 2012 - I think Siggraph is back in LA and well, I'll start saving for it now... :thumbsup:

kevman3d
09-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Great looking. I spent the better part of my life working on coin op games and equipment.

Nice... Sounds like a cool job!

I have a couple more "generic" cabinets (kinda based on real ones, but more made-up) I created but unfortunately the LW workstation blew out a few days back (both PSU and looks like the mobo is fried as well) and I have no money to repair it right now... Otherwise I'd post another render with 3 machines together with textures.

In the meantime, here's a few old renders (without the final textures (these are just WIP ones) - that's on the other machine :( ).

The grey curvy one was supposed to be a "cartoony" design, but I ended up building it to be more "realistic" with the coinslots, stick, buttons and screen, etc. I figure hey, it still looks like some kinda flashy custom cabinet. I'll texture it up when I get my LW back up and running (and the files back off the HDD of the workstation (providing the drive hasn't been fried as well - gulp!)

sublimationman
09-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Here is one I made many years ago for an advertisement It had to be generic for legal reasons and I was not that good with Lightwave back then.

Maybe I should make another one now that you have inspired me. :D

JEFFilm
09-01-2011, 09:49 PM
That's great :thumbsup:

kevman3d
09-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Maybe I should make another one now that you have inspired me. :D

Cool! Go for it - maybe we start a new CG trend here - recreating things from our past lives... lol! ;D

Matt
09-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Cool render Kevman, brings back many memories.

kevman3d
09-10-2011, 01:20 AM
My LW 10.1 box has crapped itself in a big way, but I figured I'd post up this smaller res image I was just working on before things went to custard - this time using an old Athlon and LW9.6.1...

The render was kinda dark and uninteresting - so I threw in a little smokey-style effect using Photoshop.

The machines are all textured now - I decided to make up the game for the 3rd one "Blasterbots" - But once I'm up and running again, I have a few more things I want to work on in relation to this initial project... :D

tvtom
09-20-2011, 06:34 PM
That's funny (ironic)... I just made this one this past weekend. It wasn't meant to be a show piece or anything. I'm building a MAME cabinet so I built it in Lightwave first to get an idea of the scale and all. I also wanted to see what some graphics might look like on it. These were like 4 second renders by the way.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5895/render01x.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6474/render02.jpg

kevman3d
09-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Nice! Sexy stuff indeed... :thumbsup: I always wanted to build a MAME cabinet, but its one expense I can't afford right now, and well, I don't think the wife looked somewhat happy at the mention of it... lol! :D

So, 4 second renders? What hardware are you running? :hey:

tvtom
09-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a decent i7 machine. LW renders are lightning fast on it (this model has no subD surfaces so it's REALLY fast). This was 9.6.. I paid all that money for LW10 and still haven't installed it.

I sure wish they would make a Linux version of Lightwave. It's the only program I duel boot for nowadays.

Yeah, the MAME machine is a hard sell to the wife. This will be my second machine and they always cost more than what I planned.. but I sold the last one quite fast for what I had in it. The last one was way too big so this time I'm going with a more standard size cab.

evolross
09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
OMG... sweet design! If I ever built a MAME cabinet, I'd make it a classic Street Fighter 2 Tournament Edition cabinet for sure. Cool renders too!

Make sure to upload pictures of your cabinet when you finally finish it.

djwaterman
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Just went to Kevman's website and read the run-down on Lightwave, he does a waaaay better job of talking up Lightwave than Newtek does.

MAUROCOR
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Very nice! Old and good times, I would say.
Well done, congrats!
:thumbsup: