PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Cuts

Daniel H
08-13-2011, 05:29 AM
Hi Guys

I've posted about this before and had lots of helpful advice but have not been able to eradicate the issue. The attachement is a grab of a cut between 2 cameras using the Tricaster Broadcast.

As you see it is what I have nicknamed a 'rogue cut' - it seems to output a mix of the two cameras with a colour flash of red usually. It doesn't appear to show on the Tricaster monitor or program out whilst recording but when I take the MPEG file from the Tricaster and dump it in my editor, they are on there and they are very noticeable when you play back.

I'm using 3 x Sony HDR-FX1 camears, connected to the TC Broadcast using S-Video to 2 x BNC each (I also tried connecting the composite video output on the camera to 1 BNC but the same issue arose).

It doesn't happen on every cut, but is very frequent and its becomming time consuming having to edit these frames, then take the next frame and slow it down to 50% to fill the gap.

I have tried the following already:

- All video cables are 75 ohm BNC, same length
- Latency in BIOS setup has been set to 128
- Tried plugging Tricaster and cameras into a different power outlet
- Tried restoring the Tricaster

It's getting to the point of great fustration now as it happens on every recording - it would be easier and quicker to scrap the Tricaster and record to tape on each camera, then edit them!

The unit is being long term hired from a company who have since used it after I have used it and they advised that they DIDN'T have the same issue when they did there recordings. I have also had this issue in the past but at a different setup with a Tricaster Studio with RCU connected cameras - it only happened once and I'm not sure how it was rectified, it just never happened again.

Some people have suggested trying the 'Studio Profile' record option but this doesn't appear on the model we have, and I'm not sure if the update for this is free?

Any more help or advice you can offer, would be most welcomed.

SBowie
08-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Some people have suggested trying the 'Studio Profile' record option but this doesn't appear on the model we have, and I'm not sure if the update for this is free?I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm pretty certain using the "Studio" capture format (selected in the Record tab) wouldn't have a bearing on it. This seems like some sort of a timing issue. I wonder if it could be caused by instability in just one of the cameras (or possibly, one TriCaster input). Does it seem to occur when switching all of the sources, or perhaps only when switching to/from one particular input?

Daniel H
08-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply.

I've checked back through my edits and there is no one camera that it appears to happen with, its with all - it even happens when cutting to a DDR.

I had wondered if it was something to do with a camera(s) but then I remember having seen the same issue a year or two ago, as I said on a different TC model, different cameras etc.

Just really stuck now, have tried searching every possible term on the forum but to find no similar problem...

:(

Daniel H
08-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Today in options at the top right of the Tricaster screen I turnt on Genlock Termination - this seemed to make the issue happen more often and more intensely noticeable on play back.

I don't have a genlock source so realise this was useless in turning on - but could it be something to do with genlocking?

SBowie
08-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, Genlocking would likely make it go away, but absent a genlock source, I wouldn't expect it to have any effect.

Daniel H
08-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Maybe a stupid question but is there anyway of genlocking without genlock output on the cameras?

Also, could using comonent possibly solve this?

ghoneycutt
08-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Genlock (black burst) provides a stable timing reference to the camera.That signal should match the equipment the camera is being input to. Adjustments are made in the camera to sync to that signal. If the cameras don't have a genlock input then the answer is no.

The genlock bnc on the tricaster is an input to receive the above mentioned signal so the tricaster can syinc to other equiment.

IF for some reason, the tricaster is hunting a genlock signal, this MIGHT explain you problem. So let's give it a signal by plugging the composite video from camera 1 into the genlock input of the tricaster. Termination "on". The idea is to sync the tricaster to camera one and let the tricaster internally sync the remaining cameras.

Daniel H
08-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Hi Ghoneycutt

Many thanks for your reply, I'll try this as soon as I'm back at our studio on Monday - just a question on the various adjusters available for the Genlock settings - is there any particular default they should be set at, as I think I may have tried adjusting them.

Daniel

Daniel H
08-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Genlock (black burst) provides a stable timing reference to the camera.That signal should match the equipment the camera is being input to. Adjustments are made in the camera to sync to that signal. If the cameras don't have a genlock input then the answer is no.

The genlock bnc on the tricaster is an input to receive the above mentioned signal so the tricaster can syinc to other equiment.

IF for some reason, the tricaster is hunting a genlock signal, this MIGHT explain you problem. So let's give it a signal by plugging the composite video from camera 1 into the genlock input of the tricaster. Termination "on". The idea is to sync the tricaster to camera one and let the tricaster internally sync the remaining cameras.

Tried this today and it made the issue much much worse - there were large flickers across the output when making cuts and the problem I've been having, continued and so much so you could notice it on the programme out which I don't usually do, it usually just appears on the recording.

Have to admit, I'm feeling rather disalusioned by the Tricaster, used one elsewhere for a few years, only experiencing this issue once, I recommended it to my new employers and now I'm going to have to admit defeat and declare it unfit for purpose...

:(

adebats
08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Where are you in Manchester Daniel - I have an event up there in about 3-4 weeks and could try to help you directly if you wanted to pay me a visit (I'm at sportcity).

I presume you can reproduce the behaviour easily and we will have a couple of broadcasts up there so can work on trying to find out what is happening.

I presume you've talked to your reseller who has tried to help ?