PDA

View Full Version : Storage bins

Snosrap
08-12-2011, 11:02 PM
A storage bin I modeled today for garage project I've been working on. I used an Object ID node and as an input to a color gradient to get the different colored storage bins when cloning the same bin multiple times. Here is a quick couple renders.

Lewis
08-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Interesting, model is SubDs ?

I'd like to see that Node setup for colors, thanks.

zardoz
08-29-2011, 07:33 AM
very nice shading and the modelling looks very clean too

Snosrap
08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Interesting, model is SubDs ?

I'd like to see that Node setup for colors, thanks.

Yep. The node setup is pretty simple. I wanted one storage bin but several colors, so the colors are controled by a Item Info World Position node attached to a Gradient Node with Stepped curves to get the colors I wanted. When the storage bins get moved around they change color. The color layer is just there for the logo UV.

sublimationman
08-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Great!

eagleeyed
09-12-2011, 07:59 AM
That looks really good, very clean mesh, have not seen that node trick done before either, clever idea.

Quick question, don't answer if you don't want to :P. How long roughly do you think just modelling that took you, inc. mistakes if any.

Still learning sub-d's and something like that would take me a couple of days...

Snosrap
09-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Quick question, don't answer if you don't want to :P. How long roughly do you think just modelling that took you, inc. mistakes if any.
A couple hours initially. Then I realized I needed some some detail on the bottom front for one of my shots and also added the card holder detail at that time as well, so it took about another 15min or so to add those details. I did not detail the full bottom as I had no shots requiring that detail. I spent another hour so making the logo in Corel Draw.

Octo
10-04-2011, 05:31 AM
loved the material do you mind sharing the preset?

pilF
10-04-2011, 02:58 PM
That's a smart colour setup, like the material, perhaps some wear and tear here and there?

abdelkarim
10-04-2011, 04:34 PM
wow nice

csquared63
10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Inspiring work!

kopperdrake
10-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Sweet node set up - that would look quite funky if based on world coordinates and having something animated :)

MAUROCOR
10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for sharing the node set up! Simple but efficient.
Very nice, congrats!
:thumbsup:

daforum
10-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi Snosrap,

The storage bins and the renders you posted look amazing.

I had a go a setting up a similar scene so I could learn your node setup and I can't get it to work.
There is a packaged scene attached. Can you have a quick look and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Daforum

Snosrap
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi Snosrap,

The storage bins and the renders you posted look amazing.

I had a go a setting up a similar scene so I could learn your node setup and I can't get it to work.
There is a packaged scene attached. Can you have a quick look and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Daforum
Thanks. Your scene works fine. OpenGL won't display the output. Use VPR, FPrime or an F9 render to see the result. Also experiment with different inputs, for example Item ID will just assign a color to an object and moving that object will not change the color.

gordonrobb
10-10-2011, 01:34 AM
The modelling looks great for sure. What impresses me more (aside from the creative use of nodes) is the photorealistic quality of the plastic. How on earth did you get it to look so good?

daforum
10-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the info Snosrap :)

What was concerning me was that all the clones in my scene were the same colour when doing F9 renders, and would only use the colour at the top of the gradient ladder; unlike your example where the bins are all different colours even though they are all next to each other - and I have used the same setup??

Is it a scale issue? Do the objects have to be larger or the distance between the gradient colours smaller/ bigger?

I tried using Item ID and it did vary the colours but I got little dots of bright colours on the models. That could've been because I didn't have any anti-aliasing on when doing F9 renders.

Snosrap
10-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the info Snosrap :)

What was concerning me was that all the clones in my scene were the same colour when doing F9 renders, and would only use the colour at the top of the gradient ladder; unlike your example where the bins are all different colours even though they are all next to each other - and I have used the same setup??

Is it a scale issue? Do the objects have to be larger or the distance between the gradient colours smaller/ bigger?

I tried using Item ID and it did vary the colours but I got little dots of bright colours on the models. That could've been because I didn't have any anti-aliasing on when doing F9 renders.

Here is your scene with a slight adjustment to the gradient. As you can see it works fine. Without the adjustment it still worked but there were only red and green storage boxes. You are almost there - play with the gradient. What version of LW are you using? VPR and/or FPrime really make it easy to set up. As far as the little dots go when using the Item ID as an input, don't use Item ID with radiosity - there must be a bug within the node or renderer as I get the same speckles. Without radiosity it should work just fine.

daforum
10-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Got it! Thanks Snosrap.

I added some more bins and some more colours to the gradient for the attached image; and used Item ID as the input.

It's a great node setup and will be very useful for work like this in the future.
Thanks for sharing and your help :)