PDA

View Full Version : mocap and ikboost pipeline

nikfaulkner
08-11-2011, 10:17 AM
hi all,

i'm interested in using ikboost to tweak existing mocap data. it seems to have been mentioned alot around here but nobody has actually explained the process. i cant seem to get my head around the steps involved.

once ikboost has been set up do you have to delete the mocap keys or can it work "over the top" of the existing data? anybody fancy listing the steps involved in the process?

lots of mentions of splinegod's kurv seminar (now missing in action) but obviously i can't get to see that anymore.

thanks for any help

n.

vector
08-11-2011, 10:30 AM
This could help you:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96947&highlight=bvh+ikboost

Another way is http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

Vector

nikfaulkner
08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
thanks vector.
i've already seen both of those and used that to get the mocap\ikboost stuff setup. my question is more about actually using the rig and animating stuff. the setup i;ve got sorted.
hmmmmmm, back to tinkering. anyone else?

RebelHill
08-11-2011, 10:52 AM
It works over the top... like an adjustment layer.

Cant really tell u the process myself, but Im sure if u hunt around ull find something somewhere that gives u the basics of laying motion over exisintg motion (be it mocap or not).

Do be aware though, that IKB is a lil bit broken/buggy in more recent releases of LW... especially 10x, so dont be alarmed if u find something that says "set this keying mode"... or "fix/stop" that and things don't seem to work quite as ud expect.

If all else fails, Id try and hit up Scazzino... for all the abuse Ive laid on IKB over time, he's the only person Ive ever seen to wrestle something decent looking out of it, no doubt the result of a LOT of hard work and hair pulling on his part Id wager.

nikfaulkner
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
thanks rh, i think i'm just gonna have to mess around with it.

i'd rather not to be honest but it seems like its the only easy way to tweak mocap. unless its possible with a seperate control rig with the mocap version following it?...maybe

RebelHill
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, the easiest way, by far, to tweak/edit mocap is with motionbuilder, there is honestly nothing like it... that said, there's nothing like it price wise either, even maya is cheaper (and contains a lot of tools that can help u do a lot of what MB can).

Ofc, that may not be an option for you... so Id recommend checking out animeeple. It doesnt come anywhere near to MB, but it certainly measures up to what u could hope to do in IKB, and infact surpasses it as it does retargeting, etc to boot. The "video edit timeline" type interface for positioning, blending and timing clips is a gazillion times more intuitive than IKB too which I bet means you'll get into it more quickly than u will with IKB, and its all free, so nothing to lose all to gain.

nikfaulkner
08-12-2011, 03:47 AM
thanks guys, i didn't realise you can actually tweak animation in animeeple. i shall look further.

so my 3 options now are...

ikboost = maybe helpful athough it doesn't really feel that intuitive to me

animeeple = looking very promising although i shall have to get my head around some of its core conceps a bit more

modify the rig to have extra control bones= a bit old school but i am liking the thought of it (as its lightwave based with existing tools) kevmans old "rigging tools" lscript looks like it may be of use. and he's supplied source so i may be able to hack around and automate modifying my bvh rigs.

http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=plugins&sub=layout

craig, any thought about pros\cons of this old school way?

RebelHill
08-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Kevs scripts... no idea, never used em or whatnot. However, adding in extra control bones is no problem, and Im not sure I see the need for some special script to do it... just clone the bone at the point where you want extra control, and reparent it into the hierarchy as desired (either above or below the original).

The downside to doing this is that you then only have an FK control layer to work on... if you're wanting to push the hips, etc, have the legs IK to the ground, etc, then you're SOL.

You can go though and setup a rig that has IKFK switching built in as layers aswell, but this is a lil trickier, and depending on the layout of the skeleton (its base angles) may be unworkable.

Anywhichway... bvh as a structure to work directly on is horrendous and messy. The standard fbx rig structure is a lot cleaner, both in terms of its layout, and the way it treats bone angles... so no matter where or how u choose to perform the modifications to your mocap, you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort to use something like animeeple to convert bvh skeletons into fbx ones.

Either that or use the MB bvh export option from ipi on your motions, as this gives a much cleaner bone set too, which is more in line with fbx style layout.

LW_Will
08-12-2011, 05:34 PM
you guys do know that Autodesk will give you a copy of Motion Builder if you tell them you are unemployed? Or a student? Or something...

Of course, the output you get from MB has a watermark... That is, except for BVH and FBX output. (!!)

Imagine that.

;-)

nikfaulkner
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
very interesting indeed, i'll check it out

rwhunt99
08-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I believe Larry Shultz had a DVD on importing MOCAP data and he is a big supporter on IK Booster. In it he demonstrates taking a BVH file and then tweaking it with IK Booster. He does a pretty good job on explaining it and I think it might help. Not sure where to get it, it was on KURV Studios site, but he had a falling out with them. He has been in bad health and could use the support right about now.

jasonwestmas
08-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Well, the easiest way, by far, to tweak/edit mocap is with motionbuilder, there is honestly nothing like it... that said, there's nothing like it price wise either, even maya is cheaper (and contains a lot of tools that can help u do a lot of what MB can).

Ofc, that may not be an option for you... so Id recommend checking out animeeple. It doesnt come anywhere near to MB, but it certainly measures up to what u could hope to do in IKB, and infact surpasses it as it does retargeting, etc to boot. The "video edit timeline" type interface for positioning, blending and timing clips is a gazillion times more intuitive than IKB too which I bet means you'll get into it more quickly than u will with IKB, and its all free, so nothing to lose all to gain.

Well any app that can import mocap to a bone template and have animation Layers would work great.