PDA

View Full Version : How to rail-clone along a sub-d surface???

cg-freak
10-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Helleu there ya all,

Having problems with accurate rail cloning little cylinders along a path wich has to follow a subdivisioned shape.

I'll attach an example of what I want to do, hope it's clear to you and you will have a solution to this little problem.

I already tried freezing the object and draw a 2d spline in the second layer and then template drill, see second picture, but this just doesn't work for the complex shape i'm working on...

Grtzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

CG-Freak:(

cg-freak
10-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Second picure of a template drill (core)

toby
10-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Are you trying to rail-clone cylinders or solid drill something?? I don't see how they relate at all

Cageman
10-11-2003, 12:53 AM
I donīt really understand the problem either...

I assume that you want to clone/extrude something (i.e a cylinder). along the spline, right?

Then you want to use the cloned object and drill/boolean on the main object, right?

?? :confused:

Cageman
10-11-2003, 01:13 AM
I assume that you would like to do something like this???

cg-freak
10-11-2003, 04:44 AM
Yeah Cageman, that's what I want. Don't want to boolean anything. Just want to rail-clone little objects, for example cylinders, along a path that has to follow the contours of a sub-d object.

Your drawing shows a simple version of it.

Do you know a good technique?

Grtzzzzzzzzzzzz...

CG-Freak

toby
10-11-2003, 12:22 PM
So why didn't 'freeze' and make spline work for you?

You used points from the frozen object to make the spline, right? Then do a rail extrude with a disc. Offset the disc so it gets extruded to the outside of the spline. I'm still confused as to where/why the drill comes in

Cageman
10-11-2003, 12:46 PM
1. Here is the the object... (yeah!!)

Cageman
10-11-2003, 12:47 PM
2. Copy and freeze the object on another layer. Select the points were you want the extruded object to be. Once the points are selected, copy and past them on a third layer...

Cageman
10-11-2003, 12:49 PM
3. Select the points in order (i.e from left to right). When selected, select "Make Curve" -> "Open Curve" (under the Create-tab). Go to an empty layer, create a Disc-object. Make sure you see the layer where the spline is. Place the Disc close to the beginning of the spline. Select "Rail Extrude".

Cageman
10-11-2003, 12:50 PM
4. Waaaay to go! :)

Hope you get it to work now...

cg-freak
10-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Well Cageman, I must admit this is a very good tutorial on how to use the technique. The only thing is that I already did it this way.

As you'll probably see my object is a bit more complex with more curves to follow and this one is just an example.

My problem with the technique as you discribed is the part where you have to select the points in the right order to make a curve.

In my case there are so many points to select, and you always select double etc. It's a hell of a job to clean up the points you need to get a nice smoooooth curve.

So what I'm looking for is a faster way of creating the needed curve...

Thanxalot sofar and grtzzzzzzzzzzzz...:)

Cageman
10-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Now, THAT is complex!!! :D

Hmm... I just realized that you donīt need to freeze the object in order to get the spline right...just use the unfreezed mesh, select the points and..well... you know the rest.. :)

Some small tweeks here and there would probably be needed, but this method should be faster...

Good luck and please post a screenshot when youīve managed to get it right...

Cageman
10-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Errhmmm... starting to get tired I guess.. :rolleyes: forgett what I said about using unfreezed mesh... it will probably give you more job than youīve ever wanted...

I canīt for now figure out any other way than what I did in the "tutorial"...

Will do some experiment though! :)

toby
10-11-2003, 04:55 PM
Try seaching for plug-ins with keywords like 'pipes' 'nurnies' or 'detail/s'

cg-freak
10-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Wel there's no way selecting the points in the unfreezed mesh, 'cause there are none, well not enough to select points that define the shape of the curve.

I freezed the object, placed two splines (2D) in background layer to define the basic shape, but what I want is that shape to follow the contours of the object.

For this I use SHIFT+R (Template Drill) and option slice. Then in the next layer you can see the result of this.

Question: How can one extract the curve that is on the object without the hassle of selection a zillion points?

Grtzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

;)

Cageman
10-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Take a look at the object Iīve attached... Donīt know if that is how the spline should be.. :)

cg-freak
10-12-2003, 02:00 AM
Dear Cageman,

Thank you very much for putting so much time and effort in this. I really appreciate your determination.

The curves you extracted were not the ones because the curve is aready on the object.

If you look closer at layer 3 (best visible in perspective window and wireframe shaded mode) you can spot the curve already on the ship. If you switch view between layer 2 and three you can see it clearly.

It's this curve that I would like to extract to use as rail curve...

Have fun and grtzzzzzzzzzz.....

CG-Freak:o

richpr
10-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Take a copy of your model in layer 2 and put in in another layer...

Use your spline from layer 4 in the background...

Same drill operation, however do a tunnel...

Switch to point mode (if you weren't there already)

Now in statistics choose the the 1 and 2 polygons with the + next to them... this is your spline...

You can also choose to select the 3 and 4 polygons in statistics instead and delete all those... You'll be left only with the points that make up your needed spline...

You could clean up some points and either have the spline drawn through the points (I am sure there is a plugin that could probably do that).

Cageman
10-12-2003, 06:00 AM
Ohh... this made it very complicated indeed... :D

Donīt have any ideas right now though...If I come up with anything, ýouīll the first one to know!.. :)

Btw... cool design you are working on!!

cg-freak
10-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Thank you all for reacting to my question so quickly. Really nice to see that when you need help, it is just around the corner at this forum.:)

I know now that there is not a real fast workaround to this, except hard work and maybe a plugin. Will do some searching on this when time comes.

For now I did it the hard way and will post some screenshots of the thingy I'm working on (something completely different) in the WIP-forum, see ya there...

richpr: I used your solution as well, but when you have all those points selected you have to do some cleaning and then reselect them in the right order to get a nice spline. But it still saves some time after all...

Grtzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

CG-Freak:D :) :cool:

Hervé
10-13-2003, 03:22 AM
NOOOOO, you have to download a copy of this free plugin called KO_Pointfit... there is a nice tut (along with the web site where to get it) on NT site in the tut's section, Hard to find... look for benches modelling... this is what you need I think...

Cheers