lw 10.1 what is new?

nickdigital
08-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Try this
http://www.newtek.com/media/LW_media_release_07-28-2011.php

Greenlaw
08-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Here are the key things for me:

- Robust FBX support (compared to 9.6 anyway.) It now supports vmaps (weights, morphs, UV,) and corrects for different rotational axis. Some nice LW specific features like recognizing pivot rotation with bones. (I haven't tested that last one.) Can import a rig as joints or bones.

This update has been critical for me since I've gotten deeply involved with 'home brew' motion capture and need to transfer rigs and motion data between apps. There are still a few annoying problems that need to be addressed but for now I'm very happy that I can now get work done with it.

- FiberFX works with animation now, has better dynamics support, and can output motion vectors. Haven't used it in production yet but we got promising results in various tests at work. We intend to try it on our next hair/fur job.

- Skin Material. This new node is awesome! Very easy to use, and if you optimize your render settings, it's pretty fast even with GI. I'm using it in a short film and it looks great.

- VPR is actually useful now. It's very stable and I use it at work and at home everyday.

- Lots of bug fixes. (Okay, and a few new were ones introduced, but what update would be complete without that?) :)

IMO, 10.1 is what 10.0 should have been.

G.