PDA

View Full Version : Current Project at work-Gym interior..Huge scene or?

prometheus
08-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Apart from fooling around with some hypervoxels experiments and some minor turbulence test on my spare time..this is the project at work right now..lousy vpr image thou..just for preview.

A scene with 4.8 million polygons...4830832 polys..
The biggest machine consists of of 906750 polys.

A total of 9 machines at the moment.

Well Ivé done individual renderings of our gym machines at my company, now Iīm on a project of popultating a gym interior, guide lines on how the gym facility will look in the end is pretty much loose and I can do little as I want as loong as it looks good.

So Ivé really never done a full interior rendering and Itīs gonna be interesting how this turns out.

Oboy!.. do I wish I had all these models in lightwave fomat thou, without
the hazzle of all the vertex normal maps needed..those are a memory clogger in big format...and a render clogger to it seems.

The machines are exported from solidworks-deep exploration to obj format and then resaved as lwo in lightwave with vertex normal maps intact, some remodeling of cushions since our constructor using solidworks didnīt find it easy to do those smooth parts.

I feel that I have overcome the issues with vertex normals now, if youre not careful you could have render artifacts, but generally the perspective cam in lightwave should render it correctly.

I wonder how many machines more I can throw in there thou..we got quite some more machines..

Image attached... a simple print screen of lightwave and vpr, so the image isnīt open for critics..yet,:D
Vpr works for a preview..without radiosity, activating it takes a real long time to start refining...so in the image no radiosity.

Itīs in a to early stage..I just thrown the machines in and will place them better later on, and fix some room stuff and correct lighting and materials...however suggestions are welcome.

Here are some of the individual renders I made on our site that will be in the room...we are not finished with the english translation yet thou, that is expected within two months.

http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/343.php
http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/311.php
http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/321.php
http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/226.php
http://www.gymleco.se/Produkter/370.php

If it all works out well, we will probably expand our 2d illustrated gym floor plans to be fully 3d views.

computer specs at work..are a little of less standard than my home comp wich are specificated under my sign.

works computer specs..
8gb ram
nvidia gtx 460
windows 7 64 bit
intel i7 860 cpu 2,80 GHZ

Michael

Cryonic
08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
If these came from Solidworks, then they probably have a huge amount of unnecessary detail for doing a render. Things like every nut, bolt or screw that holds it together. You could probably go through the various objects and remove the screw holes and such to clean up the geometry and simplify the scene as that level of detail won't show up in the final render (unless they expect you to show all the equipment being assembled with each screw or bolt going into each hole...).

prometheus
08-11-2011, 12:37 AM
If these came from Solidworks, then they probably have a huge amount of unnecessary detail for doing a render. Things like every nut, bolt or screw that holds it together. You could probably go through the various objects and remove the screw holes and such to clean up the geometry and simplify the scene as that level of detail won't show up in the final render (unless they expect you to show all the equipment being assembled with each screw or bolt going into each hole...).

Yes indeed.. a lot of bolts and nuts, and even hidden inside geometry.
I need that for single product renders and more close ups, apart from inside geometry that is.

So sure I might end up reworking some models and do them as lightweight versions, but that means extra job too.

That means double sets of every machine..one none reduced in detail for product renders and one for every machine that is ligthweight.
That is a good way perhaps to have depending on two slightly different projects, but also takes more time to go through the process of reassigning surfaces.

I donīt think it will be successful with reducing the machines inside of lightwave, since you would screw up the vertex normal maps, otherwise I could have gotten away with not resurfacing the stuff.

The polyreduction would probably have to be done in deep exploration, and that would mean resurfacing of all the parts.

Michael

prometheus
08-11-2011, 12:43 AM
As you can see by this preview..bolts and nuts are often visible, so Im not sure if Itīs a good Idea to remove such things, tiny details like that makes realism...otherwise people would get surprised on what the heck is holding the machines together.

Michael

Afalk
08-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Wow, these are coming along beautifully! Looking forward to seeing your progress with this!