PDA

View Full Version : VT[3] Update 1: Reports?

tmon
10-10-2003, 01:34 PM
How has it been working for people?

gosmond
10-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Don't hesitate. The performance is better and very soon you will be talking to a bunch of folks that have applied the update and if you haven't - yer' talking apples and organges. Afterall, if you don't like the changes, you can always reinstall the original disks.

VT RULES!

ScorpioProd
10-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Well, let's remember that it's not all rosy if you're a DV user, though! :mad:

bradl
10-12-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm still curious about anyone's impression of the video subpixel/anti-alias 'improvements'. Posted that question at "Video Quality Any Better with the Patch?" (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12002) but got no responses.

Before the patch that was one of the most complained about items as far as I could tell...

vanguard
10-13-2003, 07:30 AM
It is definately an awesome inprovement over VT2.

The only ding I have is its a bastard to get started.

Usually 3 or 4 restarts, and usually have to reset the modules too.

I've just started leaving it on 24-7. We'll have to see how Windohs copes.

As for the improvements in the pixelization reduction... I think its looking better, the edges sure are.

Cheers.

Pete Draves
10-13-2003, 07:41 AM
We have gone back to T2.
Reason
T3 even with patch lacks many features that are important to fast thruput for us.
We only do uncompressed.
Audio is not better
screens are unstable a lot of crashes
a project that should take 1/2 day takes 2 days

Pete

RayLarson
10-13-2003, 11:03 AM
We have also gone back to T2. Just a question of reliability and stability. Guess for now, I own a very expensive set of coasters. Maybe later this year...if issues are fixed.

Jim_C
10-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Sorry to hear of folks having to go back to T2 instead of T3 patched.
T3 is rock solid on both machines I use and has only gotten faster with each upgrade.

Pete Draves
10-13-2003, 12:24 PM
T3 locks out other applications that use open gl
such as boris red
I is also not friendly to inscriber cg all of which I use with razor
also it does not allow any other use of toaster scope like other versions
All of my projects need cg's of a certain length that is sharp not time streached
and disolves and other transitions done on alpha chanel clips and stils.
If it gets any worse I may have to abandon the platform and either go back to the Targa 3000 or digisuite
to get the speed of editing that I need
BTW slo mo rendered in razor is much better than rt in Ted

Pete

tmon
10-13-2003, 12:33 PM
I wonder if there is any diff in operational stability if using Win2K Pro vs. WinXP.

We haven't migrated to XP, and except for using Premiere Pro on one audio workstation for possible DVD and audio post work, have no plans to do so.

I think I remember reading that the patch was written for XP, hope it works OK on Win2KPro....

mgrusin
10-13-2003, 02:07 PM
VT3, first patch, Win2K SP4.
Single P4 2.4GHz, 1GB Rambus, 250GB IDE RAID.

Our system is very stable. Very few crashes. New features are the bee's knees.

The only problems I've run into: DV audio sync drifts, doesn't antialias still graphics as well as T2, T2 projects come in with elements positioned differently, some graphical-interface slowness, and I'm currently characterizing an odd CG page-sizing issue. Nothing show-stopping (literally).

I don't doubt that it's giving some people/systems headaches, but on my box it's not a disaster. Using the new features, you can do things with a few clicks that would have taken all day in T2. I expect a certain number of these issues, especially when Newtek has gone back to the drawing board as they have. And having enjoyed many free updates in T2, I expect these issues to be solved with time.

$0.02, -MG

Tom Wood
10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Hmmm, I guess my little heart attack doesn't rate much then. When I first fired up my video monitor after loading the patch I heard a 'tink' sound and the monitor went black and white. Uh oh. After testing the monitor to make sure it was okay, I decided the VT card had fritzed. A couple hours later I thought, oh surely not... Yup, the patch had reset preferences to component out, I use Y/C. :rolleyes:

So far so good, not sure what else was reset though.

TW

Scott Bates
10-13-2003, 09:17 PM
...the patch had reset preferences...
That's why one of the things I always backup before installing a new patch or build is the prefs files, along with the Hot List files. I reload them after installing, but always check the prefs anyway to make sure they haven't added/changed anything.

bradl
10-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by sbates
That's why one of the things I always backup before installing a new patch or build is the prefs files, along with the Hot List files.

I'm always afraid if I replace the prefs with my old ones I will hose something up... I have taken to printing (inverse video in PS first) the prefs out for each build just to have a record and an easy set up on the next build.

Dan Hong
10-14-2003, 07:47 AM
For the guys who have gone back to VT2, what are your machine specs? VT3 is quite a bit more demanding on the machinery, but we've been running it very succesfully on our older (and not up to spec machines). The software is very stable in WinXP (Service Pack 1). I find that I will do a little more waiting for background renders. The only problem that we've had with our old Athlon systems is that the Fade up/down to black on the bottom layer is whacked (looks like the fields are reversed). I think the new features in VT3 far outway the 15 more seconds I have to wait for the machine to catch up.

Pete Draves
10-14-2003, 08:06 AM
basically with ted and just the toaster running all works fine
4 layers in rt
all of the problems other are having with dv
bat cap no so good
but an all around editor that most people can use easily

BUT

I need an editor that can run up to 40 or so layers in a render mode. (Ted will not do this, it is a rt only editor)

My client base supports this kind of style ( vertical editing)

the features that made this possible to use 3rd party programs with T3 have benn boggled or removed.

So I use T2

When these issues have been resolved (Not within this forum)
I will reload my upgrade and patch.

The Toaster capture card is the best in the market.
Its' quality of image surpasses even the Targa 3000!

This I will not get rid of!

But I do not want to change my style to use Ted.
Yes I do know ed well, I teach it and show off the new features.

best cheers
Pete

edmellnik
10-15-2003, 12:42 AM
So far it has been solid as a rock. I just finished a two hour piece and have not had a single problem.
I think all the memory leaks they fixed solved my problems.

P4 Supermicro, 2.4ghz
4 striped ides for video

WIsh List: The three D positioning needs work. any angle different from straight on causes all the edges to be stairstepped.
This makes this great new effect capability very limited.

Ed

eon5
10-15-2003, 10:50 AM
T3 + patch works fine, better that T2

W2K here

im waiting a new patch with new improvements!

Rob222
10-15-2003, 11:02 AM
Hoping to see a patch REAL FAST on the DDR problems that have been happening while using selection.

Would also like to see the CG fixed. (Speed, and Leading).