PDA

View Full Version : The Beginners Guide - 5 Questions

HolyMonkey-
08-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Hello,

Instead of opening alot of thread's I thought I'd just smack my questions together in one thread, and hopefully some other people who are not that familiar with LW can make use of this thread aswell.

Detailed explinations to these questions, much prefered.

Question #1

Does LW have a quick render preview? (If so what it called and where do you locate it)

Question #2

Occlution seem to work a bit different in LW than other programs. Could anyone elaborate on this how to add a normal occlution effect.

Also I saw a nice thread which I lost, someone used the occlution node to add a dirt effect.

Question #3

Workflow with LW of integrating a 3D object into a video, or is this mainly done in post production software such as AE?

Question #4

Controlling your reflections, my knowledge so far in regards to controlling your reflections, is adding a gradient with incidence angle mode. 0-100 to create the effect of "realistic" reflection.

Here's a very clean reflection look http://static.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2011/08/08/1312805543096_66.jpg I assume this is done by a scene setup with a black and white Studio hdri?

If you take a look at this article with the car, it doesn't reflect straight ahead, but on the edge as you would expect in real life there's strong reflections.

http://www.vg.no/bil-og-motor/artikkel.php?artid=10097417

Scroll down there's a slideshow. Pretty impressive renders, If anyone could try to explain or share their scene setting for similar results would be awsome .:thumbsup:

Question 5#

Any indepth video tutorials on how to use variouse functions in the Node editor? Thanks!!!

rcallicotte
08-09-2011, 07:07 AM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php

I'm new and these videos answered most of my questions. You might start with these, if you don't get many responses in this thread.

rwhunt99
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
1. There's a feature called vpr that works right in the viewport as you work, and there is a tool called VPER that helps but isn't a true renderer, and there is a great plugin from Worley Labs called Fprime that works also

2. There is an occlusion node in the node editor that works very well, plus there are other methods to use an occlusion shader.

3. it depends on the size of the piece you are working on.

4. Set up your scene and light it accordingly ; use white panels for reflections and set your paint using incidence reflections. Control the shadows and you're in like flint.

5. See rcallicotte's answer

vector
08-10-2011, 02:17 AM
I would recommend those old objects known as books :) also... wordware ones are nice. Inside Lightwave and Lightwave texturing are useful for the people is learning. For example, at Lightwave texturing book there is a tutorial about shading a car metal using the BRDF shader that I never imagined it could help since it was unknown for me.

Im using LW for almost 10 years and the rcallicotte link it's still useful for me so take a look.

Vector

HolyMonkey-
08-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks for your replies,

I'll check out the videos!, and

rwhunt99 how do you access vpr?

prometheus
08-10-2011, 03:02 AM
heres protons videos..ambient occlusion, I believe He goes through
the dirt part too..or maybe on some other video he has..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCaLyUStvy8

It should also be found somewhere here..search for occlusion within you browser on that page...right mouse click and save the mov files preferably.
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/24hours_training.php

viper is a previewer only for surfaces, but misses some lighting information, you can with viper create previews of particles with hypervoxels.(hvs) but only the particles with hvs ..not in full scenecontext with objects and the rest of the scene.
You can however use the VPR (not viper) for scene context previews of hypervoxels...acessing hypervoxels is to be found under windows/hypervoxels..and you will open the hypervoxels tab from where you
activate wich particles to add hvs too.

VPR is the new preview viewport renderer introduced in lw 10, and you activate it, by selecting it from the same menu where you set viewport display, such as vertices,wireframe,shaded,textured shading etc..VPR is at the end of that list..

see attached image.

Michael

HolyMonkey-
08-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Hey, thank you for your reply. I haven't had time to check it thoroughly out yet but I will check it out tomorow. If the question I have to ask is answered then please ignore it.

Is there any way to controll the strenght of your OCC real time without having to bake it out and adjust it in photoshop?

Cheers!

stiff paper
08-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Workflow with LW of integrating a 3D object into a video, or is this mainly done in post production software such as AE?
Yes, these days this is usually done with compositing in post. There are many tools used in comp that have no true equivalent within 3D, such as roto tools.

Controlling your reflections, my knowledge so far in regards to controlling your reflections, is adding a gradient with incidence angle mode. 0-100 to create the effect of "realistic" reflection.
This phenomenon, whereby reflectivity is higher at glancing angles, is known as the fresnel effect. Searching for fresnel will yield answers. However, in short, this is done most easily in LW by adding a "gradient" in the texture panel for reflectivity and setting the gradient's input as incidence angle. The gradient will then control reflectivity between 0 and 90 degrees, in terms of facing towards the camera.

Any in-depth video tutorials on how to use various functions in the Node editor?
Hmm. Start with the surfacing manual. Then there's the usual books: Essential LW and Inside LW. After that, there's YouTube.

This page: http://www.ten24.info/index.php/shop/
...has a free model and scene of a retro truck. Should be just what you're looking for.

HolyMonkey-
08-15-2011, 01:09 AM
I'd never thought I could get this much help from a cardboard box, thank you though!!!

- Pun intended

Seriously thank you though ;)