PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10.1 and hyperthreading

windbane
08-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I have an i7-860 with hyperthreading, giving me a total of 8 cores (4 physical and 4 virtual). When I set how many threads to use during rendering to "AUTO", LW uses 8 threads to render with. Problem is that this causes my system to shutdown (powers right off), when I set it to use 4 threads everything is fine. Now this only seems happens on complex scenes, such as the FiberFX_Leopard scene from the LW10 content DVD (which you would want to use the extra threads for). Is LW10.1 not compatible with virtual cores or is my processor to blame?

Rest of my specs:

16GB DDR3 dual-channel ram
RadeonHD 6870 1GB
Gigabyte P55-UD4P mobo

Lightwolf
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
With that limited information I'd either blame your PSU or your cooling. More likely the PSU though.

What are the specs?

Cheers,
Mike

windbane
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
It's a Corsair 750tx @750 watt, in a CM Storm Sniper HAF case. And the CPU is stock clocked.

rwhunt99
08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I have been using an i-7 920 stock for some time using a corsair 750 watt P/S with an X58 MB and 12 Gigs of RAM and I haven't seen any hiccups in any version of LW.
I will say that that scene does tend to slow it down though, still works. Mine is also set for auto and I do use all 8 threads with no problems. I have one Nvidia I believe it is a GT 260 with 1 Gig mem.

windbane
08-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Hmm...I did some more testing and it'll work fine up to 7 threads, but soon as I enable all 8 the computer just shuts off. I am going to have to dig around the bios to see if some setting is messing things up. Otherwise I may have to get a new CPU, or at least a new CPU cooler first as it may just be overheating.

RebelHill
08-10-2011, 06:09 AM
When u say shuts down, I assume you mean immediately... it doesnt go through a shutdown procedure, it just goes off, BOOM...

Assuming thats the case, then there's 2 possibilities. If you run the render for a lil while, and it works but then after some, a few or many minutes, it goes, then its a cooling issue, and your system is overheating.

If the shutdown is instant upon launching the 8 core render, then u have a damaged CPU.

4dartist
08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
RebelHills ideas sound spot on to me. I've had issues similar in the past and they backup what he is suggesting.

TalleyJC
08-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Yea Craig is right

Go download coretemp and start a render... its free and will show you all of your core temps. the i7 tjmax is somewhere near 92c before it shuts down, so if your temps are anywhere near 75 or so... go get better cooling

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

windbane
08-10-2011, 12:18 PM
It shuts down after about 2 mins into the render of the FiberFX_Leopard scene. I did download the coretemp app yesterday and when idle my cpu is at 58 C. and Under load ramps right up to 98 C, then the computer shuts off to save itself. So I re-seated the cooler(stock cooler) as I found out it really wasn't making contact with the cpu at all. After cleaning and reapplying thermal paste the cpu is still at 58C idle. So I ordered an aftermarket cooler, hopefully that will take care of things. I never really stressed my system till I bought LW10 last week, when gaming it never shut down once. I have a 240mm fan blowing right on the cpu, and another sucking air into the case at the front and one on top exhausting, and a 120mm exhausting out the back, probably why the cpu has run this long, this way. Anyway thanks for the tips and hopefully the new cooler will take care of things.

TalleyJC
08-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Yea 10 crushes the box hard... I had to replace the stock cooler as well. Now in a render with all 8 threads maxed ay 100% my temps don't go over 60c

NinoK
08-10-2011, 02:29 PM
After cleaning and reapplying thermal paste the cpu is still at 58C idle. So I ordered an aftermarket cooler, hopefully that will take care of things.

Good call. 58 is pretty high for idle. My i7 (first gen) typically sits in the mid 30s at idle (32-34).

warrenwc
08-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I know you've already ordered another cooler, but to anyone with this problem I wholeheartedly recommend Cooler Master's Hyper212 plus.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/cooler_master_hyper_212_plus

It took my i7 from near 100 down to 68 at full load on hairy renders.

windbane
08-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I got my new cooler, an Antec KÜHLER H2O 920, and now I idle at 28-33C and when rendering the FiberFX_Leopard scene my CPU temp hovers arounf 54C, and ya know doesn't instantly shutdown! I even ran prime 95 for an hour and it the temps stayed at 54C, best $80 I've spent lately. Wish I would have had LW running on this system last year when I first built it, been outta the 3D game for two years and decided to get back into it again. Been using LW since version 4.5 in college in the '90's, can't wait to get creating again. Anyway, thanks for the replies...cheers!!