PDA

View Full Version : sRGB - gradient layer question

JML
08-08-2011, 08:27 AM
when sRGB is on, the orginial color value is altered to make it look right in the render.
My question is, does it do the same with the gradient tool when it's in the reflection,bump,specular channel ?

if it does, then the reflection,specular, is going to be too strong, (if used a color value to control it, like the gradient tool)
(i'm loading objects textured without sRGB)

gerardstrada
08-13-2011, 03:07 AM
As far as I can see, in the layer system, the global color conversion affects the color channel only. If you have a gradient there, it will be color corrected. All other channels don't get any correction - they are assumed linear, which will provide correct results. Be aware also that if you copy a color corrected gradient (let's say a b&w incidence angle gradient with linear interpolation) from color channel to bump channel, bump channel will preserve the color correction - this doesn't happen with scalar channels - but if you create this gradient from scratch within the bump channel, it won't get any correction. Colors in the Gradient node however (and in the nodal system in general - excepting the color layer node) don't get a global color correction.

If you want to avoid confusions, better solve this in the picker. Just set the Picked and Light colors as Linear in the CS panel, and use SG_CCPicker (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/CCTools/) (free) as your color picker instead. There, you can specify the sRGB conversion (Rec. 709 or any other gamma value) for any picked color (backdrop, environment, layer or nodal system indifferently), and switch to linear where appropriate.

Gerardo

JML
08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
thanks for the tip