PDA

View Full Version : Oldest bug in Lightwave

Mr Rid
08-06-2011, 02:03 AM
...is alive and well. :thumbsup:

Have two objects and one spotlight with a shadow map. Both objects have 'cast, self & receive' shadows enabled. Object-A is casting a shadow onto object-B.

-If you only disable 'cast shadow' for object-A, it will continue casting a shadow onto object-B.

-If you only disable 'self shadow' for object-A, it will continue to self shadow.

-If you only disable 'receive shadow' for object B, it will continue to receive shadow.

Its been like this since shadow options were added to LW 4 (dont think were in 3).

However, the VPR works correctly.

stiff paper
08-06-2011, 10:46 AM
However, the VPR works correctly.

Ha ha ha ha... ha ha...

Ah, humor. Thanks for that.

You never know, maybe it's a fix that'll seep backwards up into the old LW code.

cbreton49
08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
wow Mr. Rid, very impressed with your Demo Reel, AWESOME!!

Mr Rid
08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Bleh, its six years old.

Danner
08-11-2011, 03:19 AM
VPR works because it doesn't use shadow mapped lights, it converts it to a raytrace light. Shadow mapped lights have a lot of gotchas.. I still use them a lot for their speed tho.

akademus
08-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Good one! I almost forgot about that as I stopped using shadow maps sometime in the past.

Mr Rid
08-15-2011, 11:54 PM
VPR works because it doesn't use shadow mapped lights, it converts it to a raytrace light. ....

Ah, so it is cheating.

Danner
08-16-2011, 02:54 AM
fprime does the same thing. My guess is that shadow maps require a preprocess that would make interactive renders choke for a few seconds before showing anything (on complex scenes) and defeat their purpose.