PDA

View Full Version : Locking clip lenghts in the timeline

svbell
10-10-2003, 07:48 AM
This may be a dumb question for the seasoned VT-Edit users, but hey I am still new to it.

How do I lock a clip lenght on the timeline? I made the whole movie edit, and now would like to shift a sequence within the same lenght it is already placed, at the same location it is on the timeline. There's obviously a feature like that, I just could not figure out where it is in the toolboxes!

Thanks fellas!
-sv

UnCommonGrafx
10-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Dream on.
No such beast.
It is a lacking.

:(

:confused:

kleima
10-10-2003, 11:05 AM
I (and others) have requested this feature, and Newtek said it is a "good idea" which means it will be implemented sometime in the future. :)

svbell
10-10-2003, 12:16 PM
:confused:
What?! This is a key feature on other editing packages for ages now! I am truly surprised it still has not been implemeted in VT Edit!!!!!!!

Well this just gave me the reason to upgrade my license of Speed Razor to 5.51, and knock some wood it runs fine with VT[3]

sv

Jim_C
10-10-2003, 12:28 PM
>>shift a sequence within the same lenght it is already placed, at the same location it is on the timeline.

I may be reading your post incorrectly, but I am hearing you want to change the in and points of a clip in the timeline/storyboard but keep the same duration.
This is easily done by opening the edit properties(F8) hold down shift while you change the in or out. It will move the other edit point at the same time.

Not lacking.

svbell
10-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the tip Jim, will try it out tonight. If it works you just saved me $300 upgrade of Speed Razor! :D

sv

Jim_C
10-10-2003, 12:41 PM
If thats what you're trying to do. It works.
If youre using T3 you can also grab this cool little horizontal bar at the bottom left of the screen.
Grab in middle, moves in and out points, grab on either end, moves only in or out. Bar grows as clip becomes longer.
Its pretty cool.

good luck
jim

UnCommonGrafx
10-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Slip and slide, right?

Paul Lara
10-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by svbell
...would like to shift a sequence within the same length

If you mean within the same clip, yes, that's referred to as a 'slip-n-slide'. Where length of clip remains the same. Easy to do in Toaster [2] or VT[3].

I think your comment "shift a sequence" confused people, because they interpret that as meaning you wanted to globally change this across several clips.

bradl
10-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Of course the venerable keyboard shortcut still works fine (use it all the time): Shift+Alt+Drag in the middle of a clip on the timeline. Your In and Out icons and TC updates as you drag.

svbell
10-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Wow! I truly dig the control bar in the bottom of the screen! Way out, man!! :D That is exactly what I was looking for!

sv