PDA

View Full Version : AfterEffects/Pshop Plug-in to fix aliased edges

nickdigital
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
For those of you that have problems with aliased edges and have access to After Effects or Photoshop this plug-in may be of interest to you.

OLM Smoother
http://www.olm.co.jp/rd/technology/tools/?lang=en#post-233

Attached is a render out of LW with no anti-aliasing. The 2nd image has OLM Smoother applied.

Keep Color on their site is impressive as well but is more for people who deal with anime/cartoons.

wibly wobly
08-04-2011, 02:29 PM
How is it for patterns withing a silhouette object? They only have a black silhouetted image for an example (well, there is a small pic of an anime eye but, it doesn't seem all that helpful).

Celshader
08-04-2011, 02:39 PM
For those of you that have problems with aliased edges and have access to After Effects or Photoshop this plug-in may be of interest to you.

OLM Smoother
http://www.olm.co.jp/rd/technology/tools/?lang=en#post-233

Attached is a render out of LW with no anti-aliasing. The 2nd image has OLM Smoother applied.

Keep Color on their site is impressive as well but is more for people who deal with anime/cartoons.

Cool. Could you compare the 2nd image to a render out of LW that has no anti-aliasing but the Box Reconstruction Filter applied?

nickdigital
08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't fully understand your question but the plug-in seems to do a decent job. It's by no means a replacement for using anti-aliasing.

nickdigital
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Could you compare the 2nd image to a render out of LW that has no anti-aliasing but the Box Reconstruction Filter applied?

I assume you meant to use Box(Soft).

Image 1 is the Classic Camera with AA set to Classic
Image 2 is the Classic Camera with Box(Soft)
Image 3 is Image 1 with OLM

erikals
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
hey...! that's mighty nice...! :]

wibly wobly
08-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Sorry, I was wondering how it handled detail within the shape of an object not just the edges of a silhouette. Like if you have a character, front on, how does the lines of the plaid shirt look. Does it mainly work well on the silhouette edge of an object as apposed to the internal detail. I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly enough. Maybe I'll need to post a picture.

stiff paper
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
It's a 2D post process. How would it know anything about shirts?

nickdigital
08-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Sorry, I was wondering how it handled detail within the shape of an object not just the edges of a silhouette. Like if you have a character, front on, how does the lines of the plaid shirt look. Does it mainly work well on the silhouette edge of an object as apposed to the internal detail. I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly enough. Maybe I'll need to post a picture.

I did a render with a ball and the Dots texture and it smoothed out the lines in the Dots texture. So it doesn't work off of a silhouette. So your shirt example should be fine.

daforum
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the link nickdigital - very useful tools.

I have registered, downloaded and will try them out :)

erikals
08-04-2011, 03:59 PM
tried some tricky textures, and it does keep the texturelines intact.
you might wanna combine the plugin and use AA on only the shirt though...

wibly wobly
08-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Tkx guys, that's what I was curious about. The examples on the site only showed that solid black image and no detail within the shape. I might have a look at it then. Do you guys think it might be a partial substitute to AAing a render?

nickdigital
08-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Do you guys think it might be a partial substitute to AAing a render?

I don't think I would consider it a complete replacement. I'm thinking if you had a part of an image that was problematic you could try dialing up and down the softness setting to fix that area in PShop or AE.

Or for those that do the 2x rez render and then scale down you could throw this on top of that to further smooth out the image.

wibly wobly
08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
It makes me wonder if it's something like an advanced reverse version of unsharp mask.

vector
08-05-2011, 12:17 AM
I have to try it. I wonder how it works on an animation...

Vector

nickdigital
08-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I have to try it. I wonder how it works on an animation...

Vector

It's used on one of your shows.

daforum
08-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I like the Colour Keep tool. It could come in very handy in future projects.....

I'm curious about the other tools on this page:http://www.olm.co.jp/rd/technology/tools/?lang=en
whether or not they will become available soon?

nickdigital
08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm curious about the other tools on this page:http://www.olm.co.jp/rd/technology/tools/?lang=en
whether or not they will become available soon?

I'm told there has been no decision made about releasing the other tools.

adk
08-08-2011, 07:27 PM
A very nice find nickdigital :thumbsup: cheers a bunch for the heads up.

papou
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Wow, Lightwave AA need improvement again. Give us MLAA filter!

in the past, it was possible to use 8bf.p to add photoshop filter to Lightwave image process... (Anybody have tried if it is working onto our actual lightwave?)

erikals
02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
(Anybody have tried if it is working onto our actual lightwave?)

no, just the photoshop OLM, which had problems here and there, but still great. not sure about the AE one, but it's version 1.0 so looking forward to something cool :]

btw, Geometry based AA in LW like in Max would rock... NewTek (double-hint)