PDA

View Full Version : N e t w o r k r e n d e r i n g...

paulseling
10-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Happily for me ,i ,ve got about 10 Pentium 4's at 3 Ghz in the office :)

I would need some technical help ( links ,advice , anything ) about

NETWORK RENDERING...

Could this dream come true for me too ?

Red_Oddity
10-10-2003, 03:53 AM
go to http://www.flay.com and click on plugins, do a search for screamer or network..

or go to http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/rendering.htm

meshmaster
10-10-2003, 12:34 PM
3d world mag that came out a little while ago (the one with the free cinema 4d) has a tutorial on lw net rendering.

Jure
10-10-2003, 02:10 PM
I envy you so much "horse power".
Just keep in mind that setting up a render farm is usually very tricky and can cause u extreme headaches... At least to me it did... I tried different apps for managing render farms and not one was easy to set up. Currently I use Amleto which I think is the easiest to work with, though it has its bugs...
There's a free one called Spider (search for it on flay), I heard it's good, never tried it though. There's also one called LightNet (http://www.joejustice.org/lightwave/lightnet/index.html) that simplifies handling of ScreamerNet render farm. I used that a while ago too...
You can find many ScremerNet tutorials here:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/rendering.htm#Screamernet.

I whish you good luck.

--
Jure
Live long, render fast.

Tronam
10-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Without question, the easiest distributed rendering system I've used is Maxon's for Cinema4D. Simple to administer and setup, the server runs as a web server, you can manage jobs on the web page, see thumbnails of frames being rendered and it intelligently distributes frames to machines as it guages their performance. It's smart about boxes that enter or leave the network and dynamically adjusts itself accordingly. It takes the cake. I *really* wish NewTek would overhaul ScreamerNet a bit and implement something like this.

-Tronam

cg-freak
10-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Go here http://www.meshweaver.com/ and then to tutorials and screamernet.

This one worked for me without any third party program as LightNet wich was used on the 3DWorld magazine tut.

Although I must admit that this program also does the job, but still won't work if you don't setup the mapping of drives and network.

The most important thing is to make sure every pc has acces to the server with mapped drives and so on.

But when you use this tutorial you will get there, and thing will work!

Grtzzzzzzz....

CG-Freak
:D

Cageman
10-11-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by paulseling
Happily for me ,i ,ve got about 10 Pentium 4's at 3 Ghz in the office :)

Happily for me, Ive got 20 P4 2.8GHz and another 18 PIII 733 at school... :) And no, Ive not used those PIII machines in screamernet... but the others.... YES! :D

bill boyce
10-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by cg-freak
Go here http://www.meshweaver.com/ and then to tutorials and screamernet.

Although I must admit that this program also does the job, but still won't work if you don't setup the mapping of drives and network.
:D

Don't use mapped drives, it's a PITA. UNC paths are far easier (\\server\Lightwave\LWSN.exe etc) to setup and manage.
Anything that requires you to copy all content to all machines is going to get old real fast too. Not necessary!

Triple G
10-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Setting up Screamernet (PC) (http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/screamer/screamer.htm)
Setting up Screamernet (MAC) (http://homepage.mac.com/nonplanar/)

Noclar7
10-13-2003, 09:53 PM
If you have a bit of cash you can chuck at into it:

http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/

This is what we use here and it works like a dream. The setup, updating/monitoring is rediculously simple. Once it is setup, you can have it running as a service at low priority on your nodes, hidden away, so the others who are running 2 pixel programs dont have to worry about you interfearing with them.:p

Also:

The makers of tequilla scream network renderer
http://www.digitaltoons.tv/shop/

have a free Tequilla node on there site plus a tutorial on how to setup screamernet.

Both companys have demos so try them out

--

BTW wouldn't it have been cool if Stealthnet would have worked! and all LW users could have tapped together at one massive LW Farm!
one can only dream....

RJ,

Noclar7
10-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by bill boyce
Don't use mapped drives, it's a PITA. UNC paths are far easier (\\server\Lightwave\LWSN.exe etc) to setup and manage.
Anything that requires you to copy all content to all machines is going to get old real fast too. Not necessary!

I second that emoticon

meshmaster
10-14-2003, 08:42 AM
I downloaded spider and tried to use it but kept getting errors... does it run on xp, and if so, does someone have any tutorials on it?

Blondepower
10-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Instead of using maped network drives for Network rendering, can you use SAN storage? I have several XT395 dual 2.8 xeon servers (16) and a Clariion CX200 storage array. Couldnt I give everybody access to the same LUN (storage)?

AJ

bill boyce
10-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Don't know much about how SAN's work, but the key principle is that all machines need to be able to "see" the shared directory and have their path's set corrrectly to config and content directories.

Our render nodes have nothing on them but a shortcut to the lwsn.exe on the server, with config info in the command line. Make sure the nodes have permission to access the shared folders, and are config'ed right, and you're away laughing. Once you grok how it works (not hard), it's not half so complex as it seems, or is made out to be.

mlinde
10-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Blondepower
Instead of using maped network drives for Network rendering, can you use SAN storage? I have several XT395 dual 2.8 xeon servers (16) and a Clariion CX200 storage array. Couldnt I give everybody access to the same LUN (storage)?
Yes. In fact, this is an ideal setup. Make sure all your nodes map the SAN to the same drive letter, you can put the project directory on the drive as well as render to it. This is the setup used in some of the larger animation/FX houses.

Blondepower
10-15-2003, 10:39 PM
great!!
I will setup LW and use my servers and arrays. If anyone needs anything renered, just let me know and I will do it for them.

AJ

Maxx
10-16-2003, 05:52 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but I've got a question about network rendering. I've got my main system (LW is installed and used on this system) and my server (used for testing web sites and extra storage). I've got no monitor or keyboard or mouse hooked up to the "server". When you set up Tequila Scream, ScreamerNet, or Spider, do you manually have to go to each machine and let it know the content directory for each scene you're going to render, or can I control all that from my main computer without having to tear down and swap over mouse, monitor and keyboard each time?

Sorry for what is probably a simple question - I know nothing about network rendering, but am going to have to set it up somehow this week as I'm staring down an impossible deadline for one system rendering...

Noclar7
10-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Maxx
When you set up Tequila Scream, ScreamerNet, or Spider, do you manually have to go to each machine and let it know the content directory for each scene you're going to render, or can I control all that from my main computer without having to tear down and swap over mouse, monitor and keyboard each time?

Once its setup properly you shouldn't have to touch those nodes again. Not to be playing favorites again on the apps, but, with butterfly network renderer you can also connect to each node directly threw the program with VNC viewer.

Maxx
10-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Excellent! Thank you for the info. I'll probably be trying to set everything up this evening, so I may be smiling or crying next time I post.... :D

Red_Oddity
10-16-2003, 08:11 AM
When using Screamernet and LW alone you have to manually change content directories...
But if all the scenes you need to render are in the same content directory it should go well and you need to start a node just once.

Tequilla and Spider allow different content directories AFAIK, as does Lightnet.

btw, here a little bat file script thingie i use to run nodes on all computer (it has a link to the bat file on all computers using UNC directorie naming)

-----------copy paste in own .bat file-----------

@echo off
cls
echo ---------------------------
echo rendernode setup
echo ---------------------------
:project
echo.
echo project directory name:
set /p project=""
if "%project%" == "" goto project
:node
echo.
echo render node:
set /p node=""
if "%node%" == "" goto node
title=Screamernet Node %node%
cls
color 4e
echo running project %project% on node %node% on Metfilm3D
echo.
\\Metfilm3D\D\SCREAMER\Lightwave7.5\Programs\lwsn. exe -2 -c\\Metfilm3D\D\SCREAMER\Lightwave7.5\Programs -d\\Metfilm3D\D\Gebruikers\Sven\%project% \\Metfilm3D\D\SCREAMER\job%node% \\Metfilm3D\D\SCREAMER\ack%node%

---------------------------------------------------

All my content dirs are located on D:\Gebruikers\Sven\ ('Gebruikers' is dutch for 'Users' b.t.w.)
Metfilm3D is my computer.
The Lightwave i use for rendering is located on D: aswell, in the SCREAMER folder, the config files
are located in that Lightwave's programs folder...

So whenever i need a couple of machines to render the scenes on the Metfilm3D machine i just click the link to the bat file
on all machines, enter the name of the content folder (i make content folders per project, but all located in my User (Gebruikers) folder, enter a node number that isn't used yet, and it just runs.

So for a scene named nettest.lws located in the project netproject i run the bat file, enter as project name netproject and for rendernode a number
that isn't used yet.
(The Lightwave for rendering is running from another bat program, but this is just so it runs using some config parameters i like)
For the Command Directory (in the network rendering panel) i use \\Metfilm3D\D\SCREAMER\ (this never changes)
Add the nettest.lws scene, init and go...

!!!Warning, make sure your scene file has proper UNC paths aswell for its' savepath. You can check this by opening the scene file in, say, wordpad and do a search for a ":"
If it finds one of those double pointy things that means there's a drive name in there, change it (delete everything except the proper location)
I for one have a render folder in my images folder, so i end up with a save path like this: \Images\Render\nettestpic_

hope this is somewhat helpfull for someone