PDA

View Full Version : Huh? Can't put rendered Fade on Timeline!

Chris Moore
10-09-2003, 11:35 PM
I rendered a TEd project in VT2 to an RTV file. When I put that file back on a fresh timeline it drops the first fade-in. Gone. The clip starts BAM!...like a hard cut!

When I hold the cursor over the rendered file in the file bin it plays complete from the top, complete with the fade-in from black.

What's happening? I need the whole clip on the timeline so that I can do some scoring!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.
P.S. Remember that I am talking about VT2.

Rich Deustachio
10-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Check your preferences to see if you have offset on, default is on at one frame. Either turn off off set or select the clip and hit "g" to expand the clip to it full length.

tfrank
10-10-2003, 11:18 AM
In addition to the above, I always place at least one second of black before my "fade-up" into the entire project. I also put a second of black at the end of the project. Then make sure that the entire project, with black, is positioned on the time line after the 00:00 time mark before I render.

kleima
10-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Expanding on what Rich said: your clip has been trimmed by the VT because of your preference settings (the default is 1 second, not one frame). The purpose of this is the leave some pre/post roll for the transitions esp. if using the storyboard for editing. If you don't want it to do that set "VTedit automatic I/O offset" to "no offset."
I'm saying the same thing as Rich, just with more details, so you understand the point of having the ability to do an automatic offset.
BTW, using the timeline and the storyboard in conjunction with each other is one the things that makes the VT the fastest editor in the world. Don't overlook this power. I did, for a long time, until I discovered how fast editing can be using both together! Don't just stay in timelineland.
Everything I said here applies to both VT2 & 3.

Chris Moore
10-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm learning. FYI, here's what the problem was:

I had inadvertently bumped the whole project back a few seconds before the zero mark on the timeline before rendering. Don't know how but...

the interesting part is that I did select the pre-zero clips to render and they apparently did (as per the resultant .rtv file crouton playing those clips), but when pulling that rendered file to the storyboard or timeline those few seconds/clips were missing. Weird.

Thanks again.