PDA

View Full Version : HELP:Perspective view in viewport snapping WHY?

dianmozokov
08-03-2011, 03:05 AM
:help:Hello,

Maybe this is dumb question,but i am new to Newtek lightwave 10,and cant get used to Prespective View in viewport.Cant work like that....I want just to turn around my objects without snapping on left or right.How to perform full rotation without my camera to make some really strange for me snapping in viewport???This really get me mad!I like the rotation over my objects when use the icon button,but when i press the ALT+LMB my rotation get nasty!

Lewis
08-03-2011, 03:53 AM
Hi

do you speak about layout or modeler ?

dianmozokov
08-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Hi

do you speak about layout or modeler ?

Oo sorry,i was talking about Modeler.

Lewis
08-03-2011, 04:15 AM
then it's even more weird 'coz modeler don't have snapping. It has only snap to grid but that's for modeling operations and not for tumbling perspective view (BTW modeler don't have camera) so I'm not really sure what you are experiencing.
Can you post some video screen capture to show your problem 'coz i work 8-12 hours a day in modeler and have no such issues.

cheers

dianmozokov
08-03-2011, 05:18 AM
then it's even more weird 'coz modeler don't have snapping. It has only snap to grid but that's for modeling operations and not for tumbling perspective view (BTW modeler don't have camera) so I'm not really sure what you are experiencing.
Can you post some video screen capture to show your problem 'coz i work 8-12 hours a day in modeler and have no such issues.

cheers

Sure Lewis,

Here is the video i have made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx9cmuEQAtk&feature=youtu.be

Notice from video that i cant perform full rotation with ALT+LMB.Just snap on left or right side of viewport!

Lewis
08-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Ahh you have problems with understanding Trackball rotation :). you should let go LMB and click it again to tumble more OR use top interface icon for rotation and not shortcut ALT+LMB. These are two different types of rotations. you just need to understand that ALT+LMB is NOT rotating camera (there is no camera in LWmodeler) but it's behaving like you are pointing your finger in cursor direction and then pulling at that point exactly so you need to let it go and do it again to tumble in all directions.

dianmozokov
08-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Ahh you have problems with understanding Trackball rotation :). you should let go LMB and click it again to tumble more OR use top interface icon for rotation and not shortcut ALT+LMB. These are two different types of rotations. you just need to understand that ALT+LMB is NOT rotating camera (there is no camera in LWmodeler) but it's behaving like you are pointing your finger in cursor direction and then pulling at that point exactly so you need to let it go and do it again to tumble in all directions.

Great explanation Lewis,

Thank you!

I like to see in future options to change this rotation behaviour.:thumbsup:

Lewis
08-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Great explanation Lewis,

Thank you!

I like to see in future options to change this rotation behaviour.:thumbsup:

Hehe it's strange at first (especially if you used other 3D apps first) but when you master it and understand how it works you hardly want to go back to any other solutions (i was using only icons at first and it passed few years until i "forced" myself to really give it a chance and the after 2 days f using it i never ever went back for other type of rotation and that's been 15 years ago :))., You can tumble model in any weird pose this way unlike when trackball is OFF.

But I agree there should be option to use each type of rotation to shortcut keys and interface keys for user preferences. modo solved that nicely with interface checkmark named "trackball ON". NT should consider doing similar route or allow/expose non-trackball version in shortcut editor also.

cheers

dianmozokov
08-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Hehe it's strange at first (especially if you used other 3D apps first) but when you master it and understand how it works you hardly want to go back to any other solutions (i was using only icons at first and it passed few years until i "forced" myself to really give it a chance and the after 2 days f using it i never ever went back for other type of rotation and that's been 15 years ago :))., You can tumble model in any weird pose this way unlike when trackball is OFF.

But I agree there should be option to use each type of rotation to shortcut keys and interface keys for user preferences. modo solved that nicely with interface checkmark named "trackball ON". NT should consider doing similar route or allow/expose non-trackball version in shortcut editor also.

cheers

This is what Iím talking about.I come from Modo.Its my primary 3d package for now.And this rotation just cause to feel like some stupid newbie.Never like this option in Modo and always turn off the trackball rotation.Yes Modo has superior modeling tools,but Lightwave is not bad at ALL!I want learn and master the both software.In future this will be a great advantage in my workflow.

Snosrap
08-03-2011, 09:25 PM
I come from Modo.Its my primary 3d package for now.And this rotation just cause to feel like some stupid newbie.Never like this option in Modo and always turn off the trackball rotation.Yes Modo has superior modeling tools,but Lightwave is not bad at ALL!I want learn and master the both software.In future this will be a great advantage in my workflow.
Yes by default modo has the exact same controls as LW - which I think is an awesome way to navigate within 3d space. I'm a modo user as well since the beginning, and as much as I like modeling in it, LW is way faster for me. (In use, not necessarily tumbling and poly manipulation :D) Actually I do 85% of my work in LW as the rendering with the shader tree really puts me off, but it offers decent scultpting for simple meshes and very robust UV tools. However don't overlook PLG UV tools (free) for LW as there have been a number of occasions when I was unable to get the unwrap results I was looking for out of modo but PLG and LW came through with flying colors. 501 is probably it for me unless NT really drops the ball in the coming few upgrade cycles. (I was almost there when they announced Core's demise, but if they add some of the cool things I saw with Core into LW I'm okay with that.) Welcome aboard!

dianmozokov
08-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Yes by default modo has the exact same controls as LW - which I think is an awesome way to navigate within 3d space. I'm a modo user as well since the beginning, and as much as I like modeling in it, LW is way faster for me. (In use, not necessarily tumbling and poly manipulation :D) Actually I do 85% of my work in LW as the rendering with the shader tree really puts me off, but it offers decent scultpting for simple meshes and very robust UV tools. However don't overlook PLG UV tools (free) for LW as there have been a number of occasions when I was unable to get the unwrap results I was looking for out of modo but PLG and LW came through with flying colors. 501 is probably it for me unless NT really drops the ball in the coming few upgrade cycles. (I was almost there when they announced Core's demise, but if they add some of the cool things I saw with Core into LW I'm okay with that.) Welcome aboard!

Thank you sir!Nice comment.

It's great to see that NewTek community is strong as Luxology forum despite the Core things.Actually we have Core already under the hood of LightWave version 10.This is why i bought in last moment before limited offer end the new 10 version.Now i spare all of my free time to learn this great software and wish to master it at level i understand the Modo and of course BEYOND that.:lwicon: :hey:Both software has very powerful features and deserve to master the power from both:).

Philbert
08-04-2011, 01:26 AM
I've been using LW for 9 years and I've never liked trackball rotation. Drives me batty. I stick to the icons on the top of the viewport most of the time. Sometimes using my 3D mouse.

Andyjaggy
08-04-2011, 01:17 PM
trackball rotation is definitely different. Once you get used to it most people prefer it and find it faster to navigate around with.

I have the same problem with modeler though, when using trackball rotation I get these annoying snaps every once in a while while I move around, what the point of that is I don't know, I prefer it to be completely fluid like it is in Modo.

Philbert
08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
In the video it looked like it was only stopping because his mouse hit the edge of the screen. Maybe I missed something though.

dianmozokov
08-04-2011, 03:38 PM
In the video it looked like it was only stopping because his mouse hit the edge of the screen. Maybe I missed something though.

Actually I hit the edges becouse of that nasty snapping.When i try to turn around my object in some point rotation just snap and my mouse cursor hit edges.

Philbert
08-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Hmm strange.

Danner
08-05-2011, 03:26 AM
If you are using a mouse, and you leave "tablet" as the imput device it limits the rotation you can do with a mouse.

dianmozokov
08-05-2011, 08:10 AM
If you are using a mouse, and you leave "tablet" as the imput device it limits the rotation you can do with a mouse.

This is not a case.My input device settings is set to mouse.

Twisted_Pixel
08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm getting the same affect and don't remember it being like this before. It seems to limit rotation to +/- 90 degrees, without releasing mouse and repeating procedure.

I have my mouse sensitivity higher than in the posted vid, so it happens in even less distance for myself.