PDA

View Full Version : Animation In the News

Dexter2999
08-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Dreamworks declines to renew deal with Paramount
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/08/dreamworks-paramount.html

Paramount decides to start its own animation division
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/07/paramount-new-animation-division-spells-likely-end-for-dreamworks-deal.html

LW_Will
08-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Think those stories came in reverse order....

Dexter2999
08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes, chronologically they are backwards but the gist of the articles is that Dreamworks refused to resign with Paramount as a distributor because they wanted too big of a cut of the profits.

This was the same issue Disney and Pixar had before Disney broke down and bought Pixar.

However, in this instance there really is no chance of Paramount purchasing Dreamworks. This could mean more jobs for animators.

I am a little thrown by the use of the RANGO image in the Paramount article though. Paramount may have a production credit but so does Nickelodeon and ILM did the actual animation from my understanding.

BigHache
08-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I guess Paramount released/owns the film, but yeah, that means nothing as to the actual production. One success also doesn't immediately equal a string of such.

Kinda like Disney thought they could produce films on par with Pixar… and we got "Chicken Little" instead.

Dexter2999
08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Kinda like Disney thought they could produce films on par with Pixar… and we got "Chicken Little" instead.

Easy Thunder!, slow your roll. I liked CHICKEN LITTLE. I'd point at VALIANT as an example of an animation disaster for Disney. As I recall, when Disney started having their fallout with Pixar, they hired an outside company to make a movie for them to release. In my thinking it was to show Pixar they weren't the only game in town. It was a collosal flop (although I think TREASURE PLANET still holds the record for financial disasters for Disney animated releases) Then Disney re-assembled their computer animation division (because they had one before but broke it up because Pixar was doing so well) who gave us CHICKEN LITTLE, but also BOLT, and TANGLED.

BigHache
08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Easy Thunder!, slow your roll.

LOL! you know as I was typing that I thought, "someone will have liked Chicken Little…" I will say I enjoyed the Fish Out of Water character. Valiant isn't even a familiar name to me, I'll have to look back and see how apparently awful it was. I did enjoy Bolt and Tangled.

cresshead
08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Tangled is great...loved all of it except the singing bits

re tangled DVD...was SO annoyed at the jump thru hoops and HAVE to watch trailers from disney that i handbracked the DVD.

BigHache
08-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Oof, yeah Disney's been bad about that lately.

Re: Valiant, yeah, completely new to me. Ick.

Larry_g1s
08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
This could mean more jobs for animators.That's what I'm hoping for. :)