PDA

View Full Version : CG cinematographer, is there such a job?

shrox
08-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I think my greatest strengths are cinematography and editing, then mechanical motions, then modeling. Are their any jobs where I can put my cinematic skills to use?

nickdigital
08-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I think my greatest strengths are cinematography and editing, then mechanical motions, then modeling. Are their any jobs where I can put my cinematic skills to use?

In animation I believe they're called Layout artists. No reference to LW's Layout obviously.

shrox
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
In animation I believe they're called Layout artists. No reference to LW's Layout obviously.

That's good to know, now I can at least search for something. Thanks!

ericsmith
08-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Probably your best bet is to be looking at previs. It's getting to the point where there are entire companies that focus just on this aspect.

Eric

biliousfrog
08-04-2011, 01:25 AM
As Eric says, previs seems the most likely route as editing CG after it is created is wasteful and almost unheard of.

wibly wobly
08-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Storyboarding and previz might be up your alley. Storyboarding in animation that is. Outside of heavy FX shots in live action, I don't think too many directors board anything outside of a few scrawls on a napkin. Either that or become a DP.