PDA

View Full Version : RTV file x disk space

eBrito
10-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi;

I have a 144Gb Disk Array (SCSI disks).
How many hours of video could i record using this space?

Many people here recomend record using RTV files, is that the best format for me?

Let me tell you what i want:

I record every sunday a 3 hours service at church.
I'd like to keep my masters on DVD but if plug my DVD Recorder onto SX-8 video out, it will encode in real time and lose quality.

so, i think in record it in my disk array and after the service, encode it using "Canopus Procoder" (the best encoder i ever see).
I belivie the software will encode much better then a DVD Recorder do in real time.

I just need to know the best format to record and how many hours could i record into a 144Gb disk.

Thanks

PIZAZZ
10-09-2003, 08:04 PM
The formula we use around here is:

1 gigabyte = 1 minute of RTV storage

So your 144 gb will get you roughly 2hrs 24 minutes ish using RTV files. You might try recording straight to DV but I don't know if your computer can handle that. It usually takes a Dual Xeon and a gig or 2 of RAM. This is because of the realtime encoding that the computer system has to do before writing the file. BTW DV footage would get you about 5 minutes of video per Gigabyte.

Hope this helps you some.

RBernards
10-09-2003, 08:38 PM
The honest truth is the DVD recorder will do fine.

The encoders in the Panasonic and Pioneer DVD recorders
are actually very high quality.
Test it out using your recorder and Procoder and I bet
you'll have a hard time seeing a difference.

Software encoders have the advantage of being able
to "look forward" and real VBR but they are looking for changing video.
Typically fast motion and fine detail.
Probably not a lot of that in church. (but you never know) ;)

Regardless if your goal is to get 3 hours on a DVD you would
have to use such a low bit rate that either way your quality would take a big hit.
But you could record to two DVD discs.
A camera straight into the DVD recorder should give you excellent results.
In fact, mpeg1 may give you better results at lower bit rates
over mpeg2. But I don't think you'd want to do that.

kleima
10-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Yes, RBernards is right!!! Don't waste your time encoding three hours of footage every week with a software encoder!!! It would take a week of encoding to make it look as good as the DVD deck!
If you want three hours on the disks you have, then you will have to record to DV. Recording in DV will give you five times the number of minutes of footage. It is certainly acceptable for DVD. (DVD is compressing MUCH more than DV.) And, a DVD master will still look better than a SVHS master!

eBrito
10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys;

I have a dual Zeon 2.4 with 1Gb Rambus.
Maybe i can use DV without problems.
But i'll record it, during a live production and live webcasting (streming to internet).

Quality is so important to me in my masters because we have to make copies often.

I'm thinking in use DVD because it's cheap and small.
Actually, i need 2 hours and 40 minutes because i copy it to 160 minutes VHS tapes.

As RBernards said, i think i'll try record direct to DVD and use Procoder to see the diference.

I let you know what i get.

Thanks

JReble
10-10-2003, 07:12 AM
If you're stuck with the 3 hour format, I would suggest you look at purchasing a low end DVCAM recorder. A DSR-11 would be great in your situation because it supports the full size DVCam tapes that can record 184 minutes of DVCam video. We use those tapes to master our long format productions such as meetings and presentations and it holds up great for later dubbing down to any consumer format. If you can't afford to go that route, then you should probably just get used to the quality you can get on your DVD recorder. The media is cheap and it maintains its original quality over time which should be superior to the format you'll be dubbing to anyway.

kleima
10-10-2003, 10:42 AM
That's true, if you want to put all three hours on one DVD you will be using the LP compression which give 4 hours. This is the next to the highest compression/lowest quality setting (6 hours-EP is the lowest quality).
I always use XP, the highest quality (only 1 hours record time). So, my comments above about a DVD master being better than SVHS are based on XP record mode. I've never used the LP & EP modes, so I don't know how much visible degradation they would add. If you use those modes the results might not be so beautiful?

eBrito
10-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys.

I made some tests and i get a good result using DVD.
(not exactly what i'd like to get...)
The DSR-11 would be the best solution but... it's so expensive for us at this moment.

Actually, the quality is not very very good but, it's better then VHS and we use to copy it to VHS to distribute.

I'll talk to guys here to buy a DSR-11 soon because the tapes are about $30, if we spent one tape a week, it's no expensive.

Thanks guys.