PDA

View Full Version : Is VT the one for me?

webshot
10-09-2003, 07:19 PM
First off I am sorry this kind of a double post.

Basically we are trying to push the envelope a lil bit in the web field. I have an animation that I made in LW. We want to use it on the web, the end result will be a 3d flash website with some awesome video and stuff. We have created an intro using LW. Now we want to add special effects. We were looking at buying After effects (adobe). But VT caught my eye. I read up on it but I am still not sure if it is what we are looking for. Has anyone ever had success bringing the animation to life on the web via flash? Any insight or information is greatly appreciated.

UnCommonGrafx
10-09-2003, 07:33 PM
haha!!!
Someone after my own heart!!!

YES!! And it's a BLAST watching your material go from full frame to postage stamp on the web!!

I do it with all of the tools you've mentioned with one exception: DFX instead of AFX. If you've gotten in on the lw/dfx deal, VT would be your next logical step.

But you will get a s***load more than just another editor.
Go see one before you buy. Sit in front of the editor with some of your own footage and edit.

Ok, that was exuberant speak; back to a bit of neutrality. AFX might just be what you are after. After all, it's a compositor. Period. Made for post production, i.e., adding special effects.
Ok, enuff of that!

The VT Suite is just that: SCHWEET!

[A biased opinion. ;)]

webshot
10-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by UnCommonGrafx
DFX instead of AFX. If you've gotten in on the lw/dfx deal, VT would be your next logical step.

Curious what is DFX? I think I missed the deal you were referring to. My LW 7.5 only came with a gigantic book and a cool box :)

VT seemed just way to advanced for us. Maybe I should contact someone in presales. Because I want to make sure we are buying the right tool.

we are looking at creating something similar to this (in theory) with the real high end graphics.

http://www.billybussey.com/highband.html

UnCommonGrafx
10-09-2003, 09:24 PM
That's a well designed site.
I believe it's about the artist as to whether you can do that or not. ;) Yes, you could do that with VT. And it would be fun to do!

It is a pretty ... advanced lil'setup but that is all belied by it's simplicity. There are enough tools in it to make any kind of media event you'd like. Heck, you could even stream your material, right off the edit line, out of Aura, etc.

There was a deal to upgrade to 8 and you would get a free copy of DFX. I got in early enough they gave me a full version, with dongle. I was/am happy with the purchase.
;) :) ;)

kleima
10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
DFX is Eyeon's compositing package (or part of it). It is made to work with the VT[3] or vice versa. They are still advertising the Lightwave/DFX bundle right on the main newtek website. $1595 for both! It's a great deal! I wish I could get it at the moment! I think they have an upgrade version too, since you already have Lightwave. ($495 to upgrade to version 8 of LW plus get DFX.)