PDA

View Full Version : First details on the possible AMD/ATI 7000 series.

Ernest
08-01-2011, 09:05 PM
http://vr-zone.com/articles/next-generation-gpus-amd-s-cray-on-a-chip-/13163.html

After observing the new architecture and comparing it with the previous stuff from AMD and Nvidia alike, I concluded that the 'next gen' AMD GPU is even more of a 'graphics-enabled vector processor' than the Nvidia Fermi in their current GeForce line up attempted to be. Basically, as you see here, we're talking about a mini Cray supercomputer on a chip, with X86-compatible 64-bit addressing and memory management, essentially able to share both virtual and physical memory with the X86 main processors in the system and, if somehow connected via HyperTransport [...] to the CPU, could literally be a very tightly coupled co-processor with its own memory on a side, yet able to address all the main memory at near CPU speed, without PCIe bottlenecks.

biliousfrog
08-02-2011, 04:13 AM
What they failed to mention is that the drivers will be useless and most CG applications used with the ATI cards will have serious display glitches

Rayek
08-02-2011, 11:51 PM
What they failed to mention is that the drivers will be useless and most CG applications used with the ATI cards will have serious display glitches

If that's true, why was I forced 8 months ago to return the 480gtx due to all sorts of horrible opengl lagging issues? My old 280gtx performance was superior to the 480. I swapped it for an ATI 5870, and it has been performing admirably well in all my 3d apps. Performance is superior in most 3d apps I use. No display glitches at all.

At some point I even installed soft-modded FirePro drivers, which screamed.

For the past 5 months I am using the lastest catalyst drivers which cause no issues at all - whether in games or in cg apps. Actually, I had display artifacts with the 480 in games.

The "bad ati drivers" syndrome is gone and past - at least in my experience. Two years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you - but things have changed. Last time I checked nVidia is deliberately slowing down the performance of their 4**/5** consumer cards in opengl.