PDA

View Full Version : stencles...how they work?

Darttman
10-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi there,

I am trying to wrap an image of a label on a bottle. The label has an edge which is goldfoil in appearence which run the perimeter of the label. What I was trying to do is define two seperate surfaces for the label one for the goldfoil edge and one for the label.
I have defined the goldfoil edge of the label by using the stencil tool to create a seperate surface, then I tried defining the label surface on top of the goldfoil using the stencil tool again but....the polys that lay over the top of the first stencil surface (goldfoil) tend to get mishapen and uncontrollable.

Any suggestions or alternatives as to creating a reflective edge on a label to apply to a bottle?

Thank you very much, darttman

Dellik
10-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will help you out if what im about to say is wrong, but i think your making a mistake by using the stencil the 2nd time.
Once you've used the stencil to make the outer edges a seperate surface then you'd automatically be able to make the inner part of the lable another surface.
I hope that makes sense.

mlinde
10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
You actually don't need the second stencil anyway. Just make the label surface (bitmap) the same size as the foil surface, and have an alpha mask (bitmap) to "reduce" the image size so the foil is visible as a border. Saves on polygons, saves on render time.

toby
10-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Just leave it all one surface and use a different layer ( in the surface editor ) for each image, label in the top layer, gold foil below it, and set "tiling" to 'Reset'

Darttman
10-11-2003, 12:42 PM
thanks all for the differnt ideas