PDA

View Full Version : Clay render in lightwave 10

G-Pjube
07-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Hello all,

I used to work with the older versions of LightWave and it was very easy creating a 'clay-like' final render by adding a luminous plane (65%ish and 255 all color settings) and turning off all lighting (but have radiosity on). It used to give me nice clay-renders to show off any work in progresses I had or whatever. But after picking up version 10 and doing exactly the same, the endresult just isn't the same. I've tried a lot of things to experiment with but I just can't seem to come up with settings that produce such a render.

So I'm asking, anyone knows how to recreate this effect or point me into the right direction? Much appreciated. :)

Cheers.

dwburman
07-30-2011, 12:04 PM
In what way is the render different? Can you provide renders? Does the look match after a gamma adjustment?

G-Pjube
07-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Well the first one is the wanted effect I'm looking for (which was produced in that way as I described earlier). However when I use settings like these on current renders I get the second image.

I'd like to see it a bit more grainy and smooth rendered but somehow I can't seem to reproduce the effect in LightWave 10. The first one was done in 9.6 if I recall.

On a side note, when I look at the render in VPR it looks more grainy and clay like but somehow this does not correlate to the final render.

UnCommonGrafx
07-30-2011, 02:20 PM
They cleaned up the renderer. lol

Turn down your AA. **** This idea is wrong. Is better to augment settings in the Global illumination panel.
Lower Rays per evaluation will get it for you. As well as reducing the size of your lighting poly.

This is a different complaint: the renderer is too clean. Too cool.

dwburman
07-30-2011, 05:29 PM
There are ways to add grain in via an image filter.

If you turn off interpolated GI, you should get a grainier image.

XswampyX
07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Leave your lights on and try the occlusion node.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/PaintBrushOcc.jpg

Drop the number of samples to increase the grain. :)

G-Pjube
07-31-2011, 04:03 AM
Cheers for all of your replies.

I must say, XswampyX that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks so much!

However could you please elaborate a bit on how you would set it up from a new scene? I've only been fiddling around with the node editor (which I think I managed to pull off) and radiosity. But I'm not getting the desired effect. Bit more detail on background settings, specific light/radiosity/render settings or modified some of the properties in the node editor (besides occlusion) etc would be really appreciated. :D

probiner
07-31-2011, 08:49 AM
G-Pjube there is a scene kindly attached in Swampy's post. Cheers

G-Pjube
07-31-2011, 05:25 PM
My bad sorry, I didn't realise I had to drag that into the surface editor.

Got it up and running now, this is what I get so far and I'm quite pleased with it! I'll continue to tweek it but I like it.

Cheers for the help everyone :D

amsvartnir
02-04-2014, 05:00 AM
hi, i've read this thread just now!

and i've tried in my scene this "tutorial" for this cool clay render mode, but i can't understand how to start my scene. (setting of radiosity, etc)

the color of the plane for example, or the type of the light, the intensity! can you explain this metod for me...i'm a newbie
sry for my

XswampyX
02-05-2014, 02:19 PM
They broke/fixed? ambient occlusion in LW 11+
You need to up the shading sample number in the render globals -> render tab.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/th_Clay_Test_zps5b0a1e92.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/Clay_Test_zps5b0a1e92.jpg.html)

Here's the LWS...

amsvartnir
02-06-2014, 05:17 AM
Thanks very much!, i'ts fantastic :O