PDA

View Full Version : Join in...Explosion Workshop 1- particle carrier and trail plumes Hv sprites

prometheus
07-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Im doing a cross post here letting you know about this thread where I was trying to start a Hv explosion workshop, but It seems that very few are interested or have missed the thread or something else are preventing you guys from joining in.

check the thread here..
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1169422#post1169422

If itīs to hard to start with and you need more info or more explanations to get started, let me know, or if the whole workshop has a lack of interest for some reason, please let me know about that too.

This is what we should get close too or better..very basic partice emission and trails with hv sprites.
http://vimeo.com/26926486

Michael

Eagle66
07-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Here are some Testrenders and Settings Attach - HV sprites on the explosion.

This is what we should get close too or better..very basic partice emission and trails with hv sprites.
http://vimeo.com/26926486

You need a higher AA and Blur, it looks to sharp and grainy, the Turbulence Texture seems to small and the Fire Trails and the Main Blast are to unique, add more Random.

prometheus
07-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Here are some Testrenders and Settings Attach - HV sprites on the explosion.

You need a higher AA and Blur, it looks to sharp and grainy, the Turbulence Texture seems to small and the Fire Trails and the Main Blast are to unique, add more Random.

well theres no AA and no blur...this was just a viper preview rendered at show exactly the scene how it would render once setup without any additional editing..fine tuning the whole thing like that is for later stages, so my example isnīt to aim for the ultimate look, its there to serve as a base to aim for those who would like to get some insight.

Your explosion setting is your own right?I thought you could take my scene and improve that, did you watch the sean scott video over at kurv studios..looks like an exact replica:D
http://www.kurvstudios.com/explosions-particles-smoke-and-fire-volume-i.html

those are really a little different to me it seems in terms of explosions, more of a fiery space explosion, that training is more advanced with more complex setup of glow,postprocessing and such..my sample is a simple workshop to get started...and itīs more of a roiling plume effort than the initial big blast with smaller trails.

I need you guys to either work on my scenefile first with the voxels and using sprites only, skip the rest and focus on getting better hypertextures better shading, but please share your information on that.

Eagle66..I do not have a turbulence texture, it is the fbm texture, and I dont quite follow you about to unique main blast..do you mean the particle emission itself or voxel scale random size?

Oh..you could post this where the main thread is at..it just will spread out the discussion over at two different threads if not.

Thanks for your suggestions thou...Ohh..I would need an animation sample of that explosion you posted to be able to compare.
p.s ...Your attached image shows only aa settings and has nothing to do with hv sprites..wich we should work on for the workshop..editing and compositing is another story.

Michael

Eagle66
08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
There are many different ways to render HV. My intension is realism not using Basic tools :) Without any Turbulence texture and additional editing or postwork in Composting you never get explosions realistic.

I have watch many Tutorials for HV - the File above was created by this Particles, Smoke Series (http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave-3d-explosions-particles-fire-smoke.html). Its from all the best way and i used this Setup as Surface HV Preset with own variation for all Explosions. The final image above use additional Motionblur in Fusion, so i only need 2 AA passes instead five or more in LW.

speismonqui
08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I like the one by prometheus by far. the last frame seems like a gas station explosion.

Eagle66, no offense, I just don't see the realism. And what are those yellow blury dots all over the place?

prometheus
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I like the one by prometheus by far. the last frame seems like a gas station explosion.

Eagle66, no offense, I just don't see the realism. And what are those yellow blury dots all over the place?

well..yeah..the explosion type I was trying to see if I could get close is a somewhat gas explosion style, or the matrix reloaded truck collision style, I would probably have to use volume mode thou for best effects, but I wanted to give a try with hvīs and to see how that could work out with some different gradients on different channels to get more volumetric feel.

space explosions or galactica explosions tend to be more high blurred straight forward bleached out blasts wich might suit space explosions, but the nature between space blast and earth bound explosions is a little different, especially if you want that roiling gas expanding.

I havenīt seen kurv studios explosions training, but Iīm pretty convinced I could match that closely if I work on it, but that kind of look hasnīt been my attention to match for this topic.

dynamite would probably suit very well with itīs metaball blending and fireshader, I might take a look at that too later on, as well as turbulence fluids.

There might be issues working with sprites with high density, occasionally I get sharp blending of the sprites, so It is not Ideal.

Anyway, the workshop was just initiated for us all to be able to understand voxels a little deeper, not just rip off a finished master tutorial
and call it a day.

Another sample ..more particles..different shading, I get some halting non smooth playing on vimeo weirdly thou...just render straight of viper no processing or blurring or particle blur.

http://vimeo.com/27101544

Michael

prometheus
08-02-2011, 10:12 AM
The yellow blurry dots in eagles post, are supposed to be that high glowing sparkles that occour often in space explosions, thou they look better when you see the full animation, but I think the sparkles should probably be much more white in color temperature, and perhaps toned down a little.
Classic sparkles as you see them in ol starwars explosions.

Michael

prometheus
08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
There are many different ways to render HV. My intension is realism not using Basic tools :) Without any Turbulence texture and additional editing or postwork in Composting you never get explosions realistic.

I have watch many Tutorials for HV - the File above was created by this Particles, Smoke Series (http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave-3d-explosions-particles-fire-smoke.html). Its from all the best way and i used this Setup as Surface HV Preset with own variation for all Explosions. The final image above use additional Motionblur in Fusion, so i only need 2 AA passes instead five or more in LW.

Turbulence isnīt an absolute de facto standard for the "correct texture to use"
I used fbm for this, but all this is opened for debate, there are lot of other texture to use as plugins too for use with hv hypertexture.

Realism..sure Im all for that, but Im not sure I would call galacticta the best there is thou, even if they are very good and awarded, Not to say that I could beat that stuff thou..if I could I wouldnīt be sitting here doing my simple product renderings of gym machines, I would be out there in hyperspace blasting off:)

Michael

BigHache
08-02-2011, 11:15 AM
I didn't see the other thread you linked, prometheus. Very nice looking work and I'm interested in learning, though that's not my main focus ATM.

prometheus
08-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I didn't see the other thread you linked, prometheus. Very nice looking work and I'm interested in learning, though that's not my main focus ATM.

hereīs the thread...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1169422#post1169422

no one has yet used the actual scenfile to add in some hv sprites, that would be necessary for us to evaluate the whole thing.
just add some hv sprites and see if you can get better looking "sprites" and trying to get a rolling explosion effect and a somewhat volumetric thou it is sprites.

Michael