PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to create a script that will toggle the scene editor window?

lertola2
07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Hello,

Does any one know if there is a way to write a script that will toggle the scene editor window open and closed? I find the current behavior of the command for opening the scene editor very annoying. If the scene editor is closed and I press my hot key to open it its fine. The scene editor opens and comes to the front. However if the scene editor is already open but burred under other windows nothing happens. The scene editor remains hidden from view. The behavior of the classic scene editor hot key is much better because it toggles the window open and closed. So at most there are two key presses to get the classic scene editor window visible. Any advice would be appreciated.

-Joe

funk
07-30-2011, 11:44 AM
I actually bug reported this because it annoyed me for the exact same reasons. Newtek replied that the SE was an external plugin (while other windows are internal), so that behavior couldn't be fixed :/

If you find a way, please let us all know! :)

Cageman
07-30-2011, 12:10 PM
+1

lertola2
07-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I actually bug reported this because it annoyed me for the exact same reasons. Newtek replied that the SE was an external plugin (while other windows are internal), so that behavior couldn't be fixed :/

That is too bad. It completely interrupts your work flow when you need the scene editor and it does not show up when you press the hot key for it. I occasionally try to get organized and put each window in its own place on the screen so that they don't get burred. But that never works for long. :bangwall:

-Joe

Greenlaw
07-30-2011, 12:49 PM
I wonder if part of the problem is that Layout allows you to have multiple Scene Editor windows open and each one can have different configurations. Simply commanding open/close window isn't adequate; you would need to be able to tell the system which Scene Editor window you want to toggle.

evenflcw
07-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Horse manure!

NT "integrated" the new SE into LW. They have the source code (anything else would be unthinkable). They (should) know the SDK.

You can create either of the two behaviours mentioned.
A) open if closed, close if open.
B) open if closed, bring to front if already open.

It's possible in lscript and its possible using SDK (LWPanels;I dont know about LWXPanels) without direct OS calls. It's simply not coded properly as is. Not a bug, but not proper either. They just need to allot somebody an hour to fix it and save all user a common annoyance. If they can't do it, maybe they should contact a 3rd party?

funk
07-31-2011, 03:34 PM
I need to make a correction. They didnt say it couldnt be fixed, just that it was not an easy fix. Here was the reply:

The new scene editor is a plugin. that's why is not possible to get the same behavior we have with other editors.
So not an easy fix, but something to work on a more general basis.

evenflcw
07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the correction of the quote. I retract the ****** comment. Whether easy or not, depends.

What behaviour would people prefer in general? I'm mostly for A (toggle open and closed) myself as the standard for all panels, internal or external. That also seems to be the norm for most internal panels.

lertola2
07-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the correction of the quote. I retract the ****** comment. Whether easy or not, depends.

What behaviour would people prefer in general? I'm mostly for A (toggle open and closed) myself as the standard for all panels, internal or external. That also seems to be the norm for most internal panels.

I think a toggle open and close would be good as it would match the classic scene editor behavior. And as long as we are asking for for improved features how about a hot key to delete a scene editor instance. I am sure there is a good reason to have multiple scene editors but I have never encountered a situation were I needed more than one.
-Joe

evenflcw
07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
I am sure there is a good reason to have multiple scene editors but I have never encountered a situation were I needed more than one.

There is none at the moment imho, as the SE isnt complex enough and not reused by NT enough. Had it been able to provide vastly different views of the scene and presets it would have been useful and warranted. But as it is now, it seem superfluous. I think NT had good intentions. Multiple instances with presets could have been really clever. Case in point 1, "SE Item Selector". It uses the SE gui code, clearly. Then why not implement it as an instance from a preset configuration? Case in point 2, "Current Item panel" (small button next to current item dropdown). It's basically the same as "SE Item Selector", just alot simpler and with selection sets all to itself!(?) Now if they instead used the SE system, it would've been much more powerful and selection sets would be in synch. NT writes some good stuff (SE), and obviously they have good intentions (multiple instances), but somewhere along the line they misplace them or forget about them and instead create new bastards (SE Item Selector, Current Item panel). That's my take on it atleast. Good intentions forgotten.