PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 10.1 Available Now

DColboch
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi all,

Find the announcement about the release of LightWave 10.1 here. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121202)

Let the discussion begin.

Donetta

Dreamcube017
07-28-2011, 01:05 PM
first post... xD sorry, I rarely get to do that... continue.

BlueApple
07-28-2011, 01:40 PM
The release document says that FiberFX has been improved in this version. Can anyone speak to just how improved? Extra credit if you've tested it on a Mac :)

Nicolas Jordan
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
The release document says that FiberFX has been improved in this version. Can anyone speak to just how improved? Extra credit if you've tested it on a Mac :)

Improved enough that some high profile productions are now using it from what I understand.

Chuck
07-28-2011, 01:57 PM
A couple of new resource posts for LightWave 10.1:

Known Issues Post: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121206

FiberFX Workflow Notes: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121205

Each has a link to a discussion thread.

Chuck
07-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Download the "LightWave_10_1_Whats_New_PDF.zip" from Registration, for a good illustrated summary of the changes.

Chrusion
07-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Can the LW x64 code base/architecture be developed to run 32-bit plugins? If not, why not? Win x64 happily runs 32- and 64-bit applications side-by-side and 32-bit drivers within its 64-bit "house." This ability would negate the need for developers to rewrite/recompile their pre-64-bit LW 32-bit plugins and opens up LW to a major portion of old 32-bit plugins that may never see the 64-bit light.

Just asking as I haven't seen it asked before and it seems that if OS's can do it, why not LW? Of course, I know nothing about app programming v. OS programming.

Greenlaw
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Sorry, no Mac experience to report but FWIW I posted a little info about my own take on the new FFX here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1168832&postcount=9

In brief: direct dynamics support, motion vectors, better brush tool, improved render quality even in motion, and better stability with VPR and just more stable in general. Still no way to save and load guides data in it's own file or as a preset but you can at least export the guides as a regular .lwo. More features and details described in the post.

There's still room for improvement but IMO it's finally ready for production work.

G.

OnlineRender
07-28-2011, 04:13 PM
thought that was always the goal "stability!"

Shabazzy
07-28-2011, 04:20 PM
There's still room for improvement but IMO it's finally ready for production work.

G.

That's all well and good Greenlaw, but is it cute? For the love of God man, is it CUTE?! :D

Greenlaw
07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
That's all well and good Greenlaw, but is it cute? For the love of God man, is it CUTE?! :D
Trust me, you can use FFX to make anything look cute. :)

littlewaves
07-28-2011, 04:34 PM
hope to see some examples soon guys. Some of you who've had the beta for a while must have something??... pretty please?

The motion vecotr thing for FFX is certainly very welcome news and I'll be interested to see what improvements volumetric fibres have had.

Hopefully newtek will make a trial version of 10.1 (currently only 10.0 as I understand) before the end of the offer

monovich
07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty excited they spruced up fiber FX and that people are actually starting to say that its production ready. I've literally NEVER used it, but now I want to swing back around and give it a shot.

rcallicotte
07-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Yah-hooooo!!

BigHache
07-28-2011, 06:11 PM
I used it for a Christmas stocking and a Santa hat and got decent results, but that was in the 9.x cycle. I haven't touched it in the 10.x yet.

dwburman
07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Surface shaders are much more stable in VPR now. :D

jasonwestmas
07-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Surface shaders are much more stable in VPR now. :D

I'm on Win7 64 but the stability when rendering in VPR and working in nodal simultaneously has been super solid so far in 10.1.

k, now say super solid so far 10x fast.

wibly wobly
07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Funny, I find I still get random crashes when I'm playing with nodes and the VPR. Nothing I can do that's repeatable.

jasonwestmas
07-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Funny, I find I still get random crashes when I'm playing with nodes and the VPR. Nothing I can do that's repeatable.

I knew someone would say that. :)

rcallicotte
07-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. Without real evidence [repeatable actions that make an issue] of a problem, it's incredibly difficult to troubleshoot. I ask for screenshots from my users when this happens...or at least ask what they were doing last.

dwburman
07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
It's not perfect, but it's much better than in LW10.0.

I get the impression that a lot people still don't realize that VPR can render shaders.

jasonwestmas
07-28-2011, 10:29 PM
I get the impression that a lot people still don't realize that VPR can render shaders.

I use super cel shader some times and fast fresnel but that's about it. Didn't realize till you mentioned it. Pretty cool!

Myagi
07-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Can the LW x64 code base/architecture be developed to run 32-bit plugins? If not, why not? Win x64 happily runs 32- and 64-bit applications side-by-side and 32-bit drivers within its 64-bit "house."

Windows can run both types of processes, but a single app/process is either or, not mixed. That even goes for something like Windows Explorer, where apps that provide explorer shell integration need to supply 64-bit dlls for that since Windows Explorer is a 64-bit app.

Greenlaw
07-29-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm on Win7 64 but the stability when rendering in VPR and working in nodal simultaneously has been super solid so far in 10.1.
Agreed! I had doubts about VPR before but in the past few weeks I changed my mind. There's still room for improvement but IMO it's actually useful in production now.

G.

dblincoe
07-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Agreed! I had doubts about VPR before but in the past few weeks I changed my mind. There's still room for improvement but IMO it's actually useful in production now.

G.

VPR is pretty rock solid here. I'm working on scenes with billions of instances using hdinstance and have been able to work just fine. Can't imagine how many test renders I'd be waiting for to get this done.

wibly wobly
07-29-2011, 04:57 AM
the VPR is pretty darn handy for texturing and lighting. I bet part of my instability problems are from me using the unreal toon shader. for all I know it isn't quite stable with the vpr. I really don't know because I can't at command crash LW.

monovich
07-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Everyone should probably be reminded about clean configs and all that. Its a pretty big deal for stability.

jasonwestmas
07-29-2011, 08:50 AM
the VPR is pretty darn handy for texturing and lighting. I bet part of my instability problems are from me using the unreal toon shader. for all I know it isn't quite stable with the vpr. I really don't know because I can't at command crash LW.

Yes, that could be. I hooked up BESM shader and Lightwave 10.1 started hanging. Super cell shader had no issues however.

Matt
07-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Quickie FFX dynamics ball.

WilliamVaughan
07-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Congrats on the release to all involved!

bobakabob
07-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Looks great Matt. Are there any tutorials on setting up dynamics with FiberFX?

Matt
07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Looks great Matt. Are there any tutorials on setting up dynamics with FiberFX?

I believe Lino is doing some, but this feature at the moment is not without some known issues, it works, but you really do need to know the gotchas, which of course we will be addressing.

jasonwestmas
07-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Ohhh, hey Matt, did you improve the way the panels slide across the screen. Feels more effortless, less sticky for some reason.

MaDDoX
07-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks Newtek! :thumbsup:

Ohhh, hey Matt, did you improve the way the panels slide across the screen. Feels more effortless, less sticky for some reason.
Talking about performance, how's the bones skin/deformation speed? I've read Lino mentioning that it'd get a solid boost in this version, did it kick in?

jasonwestmas
07-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks Newtek! :thumbsup:

Talking about performance, how's the bones skin/deformation speed? I've read Lino mentioning that it'd get a solid boost in this version, did it kick in?

yeah, deformation and animation interactivity is about 30% faster I'd say. I'm on an i5 quad processor.

a sandwhich
07-29-2011, 08:51 PM
<delete>I can't seem to find the download. Where is it?</delete> Whoops just found it. feel stupid.

jasonwestmas
07-29-2011, 09:20 PM
<delete>I can't seem to find the download. Where is it?</delete> Whoops just found it. feel stupid.

It's in the Hardcore forums if it isn't in your registration yet. Oh, you found it. . .good.

Cageman
07-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Congrats NT on getting LW10.1 out. The overall stability is much better. I also love the new implementation of how LW handles subds on loadtime. Way, way faster.

:thumbsup:

MaDDoX
08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
yeah, deformation and animation interactivity is about 30% faster I'd say.
Nice! ^_^

evolross
08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
With all the work on FiberFx it would be nice if either Newtek or the beta/testing community would release some example videos demonstrating the new features and bug fixes (e.g. FiberFx using cloth dynamics, volume fibers versus pixel fibers, etc.) Either on the website or the forum. (Something beyond the obligatory hairball.)

It seems like a lot of the other 3D apps and companies are good at doing this (ahem, Luxology, ahem). Their websites are always splattered with beautiful images and renders demonstrating all the new features and enhancements. IMO this greatly helps sell the new version.

Chuck
08-03-2011, 04:52 PM
We're working on a set of tutorial videos on FiberFX for 10.1. :)

jasonwestmas
08-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Coooooooolllll Chuck.

hrgiger
08-03-2011, 05:03 PM
yeah, deformation and animation interactivity is about 30% faster I'd say. I'm on an i5 quad processor.

Isn't that just mesh evaluation? Rig speed/IK evaluation has not been improved has it?

jasonwestmas
08-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Isn't that just mesh evaluation? Rig speed/IK evaluation has not been improved has it?

That's just what I notice in general while moving and deforming the mesh with a rather robust rebel hill rig inside it. Yes, the multithreaded mesh eval is turned on. I noticed this increase on a crummy integrated i5 dell laptop and on my i7 desktop with a geforce GTX 560ti

dblincoe
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
We're working on a set of tutorial videos on FiberFX for 10.1. :)

Can't wait!

Thomas M.
08-14-2011, 06:27 AM
So, where are the download links for 10.1? I own two 10.0 licences. I neither got informed via email, nor do I find download links in the registration area. It says that there are no 10.0 registration on my name. What's going on? On the NT Europe site there aren't even any 9.6 links?

Can somebody please give me a hint?

Cheers
Thomas

cresshead
08-14-2011, 06:57 AM
in your registration download area...where else 'should it be' !!

Thomas M.
08-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Like I already wrote: www.lightwave3d.com > Customer care > Register a product > My downloads > LightWave v10.x Downloads > You dont have any LightWave 10 registrations with NewTek for the username you logged in with.

dblincoe
08-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Like I already wrote: www.lightwave3d.com > Customer care > Register a product > My downloads > LightWave v10.x Downloads > You dont have any LightWave 10 registrations with NewTek for the username you logged in with.

Like Cresshead said you would have it in your register>My download area. If I were you I would call customer service and get it straightened out. Not much anyone can do about that on the forums, if it is not showing up there.

Any chance you have multiple usernames?

Thomas M.
08-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Actually no. There should only be the one. I just send them an email. Hope this gets fixed soon. Probably it has got something to do with NT and NT Europe. No clue. So far I did have no problems.

I just remembered that the last time I downloaded something LW 10 related that it was different than in all those years before. Some kind of "hidden" link, how to get to the files. Hidden, that it was not obvious at all how to get there.

At least there weren't any downloads in the registration section as far as I can remember.

Thanks.

Greenlaw
08-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I just remembered that the last time I downloaded something LW 10 related that it was different...Some kind of "hidden" link, how to get to the files.

That was for the beta version, which was downloadable directly from the beta forums. The final version appeared in personal accounts and this was fairly recent development. In theory, if you had registered 10.0 previously, 10.1 *should* have appeared automatically in your account.

If you don't see it after registering, I would contact CS and get this straightened out. It should be a quick fix though being the weekend it might not happen until Monday. I know for some users over in HC that had this problem, the correction was done within a day.

Good luck!

G.

Thomas M.
08-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Good to know that I'm not the only one!

Cheers!

regular
08-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh goodie, new stuff!

What can a novice user like myself expect from 10.1 that would be immediately useful?

VonBon
08-31-2011, 06:13 AM
being a novice probably nothing except the price.
instead of spending 3k on a AD product to find out
if you really want to do 3D you can purchase LW for less.

once your not a novice you'll know what you need/want.

DrStrik9
08-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Can the LW x64 code base/architecture be developed to run 32-bit plugins? If not, why not? Win x64 happily runs 32- and 64-bit applications side-by-side and 32-bit drivers within its 64-bit "house." This ability would negate the need for developers to rewrite/recompile their pre-64-bit LW 32-bit plugins and opens up LW to a major portion of old 32-bit plugins that may never see the 64-bit light.

Just asking as I haven't seen it asked before and it seems that if OS's can do it, why not LW? Of course, I know nothing about app programming v. OS programming.

Wow, wouldn't that be nice? :) But it apparently can't happen for some good reasons. What can happen though, is that you can run LW 10.1 in 64 OS, and run LW 9.6 (32) also in 64 OS, with all its 32-bit plugs. It's almost as good.

In the mean time, all the old plugs must be updated to 64. Also for Mac 64.

jasonwestmas
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Wow, wouldn't that be nice? :) But it apparently can't happen for some good reasons. What can happen though, is that you can run LW 10.1 in 64 OS, and run LW 9.6 (32) also in 64 OS, with all its 32-bit plugs. It's almost as good.

In the mean time, all the old plugs must be updated to 64. Also for Mac 64.

Yes, Lightwave has always been a 4 application program since I have to use both 64 and 32 bit versions. :D

nickdigital
08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
What can a novice user like myself expect from 10.1 that would be immediately useful?

Using VPR while working on surfaces and lighting is useful.

Greenlaw
08-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah, VPR is impressing me more each day. I did, however, find a bug this morning when tweaking fog settings. Unaffected by Fog works with VPR, however if you enable fog and try to use a lower Fog Level for an object, VPR renders it with the full fog effect. F9 + F10 will render it properly though. Will Fogbugz this later today after I get some content together for them.

Also discovered that Ground Fog does not affect HD Instance (regular fog works fine with HDI though.) Probably not technically a bug but I'll Fogbugz anyway and let Graham know about this issue too.

jasonwestmas
08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah VPR surfacing and lighting is top on my list as well. Though srgb doesn't refine as nicely as linear color space in VPR viewport, plus lights are much brighter in VPR when compared to F9. Little annoying in that respect.

rcallicotte
09-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Any word yet on the progress of these 10.1 FiberFX video tutorials?

jasonwestmas
09-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Any word yet on the progress of these 10.1 FiberFX video tutorials?

I haven't heard anything and there is no official announcement if that will ever become a reality, just a "yeah we want to do that" kind of statement from Matt or Lino.

rcallicotte
09-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Okay. Thanks.

I haven't heard anything and there is no official announcement if that will ever become a reality, just a "yeah we want to do that" kind of statement from Matt or Lino.

jasonwestmas
09-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Okay. Thanks.

I may do a few videos on the subject because I use hair and fur a lot, it is usable now I think, and I know it's not a popular subject on the forums because of the poor release it first had.