PDA

View Full Version : Loading a 3DS object that uses GIF images?

starbase1
07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I've got a rather good object in 3Ds format, but it uses GIF for some of the surfaces, and when I load the main object inmto lightwave I get 'unsupported format' errors on the GIF's and no opportunity to select an alternative.

Is there any trick I can use to make it give me the chance to pick a different image, so I can point an converted PNG's?

Or perhaps a GIF loader plugin?

All clues gratefully received!
Nick

nickdigital
07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Maybe try converting it to a different object format..Obj?

starbase1
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe try converting it to a different object format..Obj?

Thats still going to point at GIF's, so I don't see whats different for LW?

nickdigital
07-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Hmm...I think you might be stuck unless you can get the 3ds file updated to use a different image type.

Good luck.

Lewis
07-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Try to remove/delete GIF (move it to another folder) so it should ask you for replace file and then choose PNG.

starbase1
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Try to remove/delete GIF (move it to another folder) so it should ask you for replace file and then choose PNG.

No luck from 3DS, but if I try that with an LWO converted using Accutrans, it does work. Thing is there are hundreds of them! Lopoking closely Accutrans 3d says it can convert and relocate texture images - but I am having the devils own job working out how to persuade it to do so!

That would be idal, as I have quite a few files to get in...

Nick

MicroMouse
07-27-2011, 02:32 PM
The 'Relocate Textures To New Folder' dialog box in AccuTrans is tempermental.

Be sure to double click on the Folder Name and watch that the folder icon appears as an open folder.

After selecting and opening the new folder, I find it best to click and highlight a file name in the files list for more reliable operation.

Wayne

starbase1
07-27-2011, 03:45 PM
The 'Relocate Textures To New Folder' dialog box in AccuTrans is tempermental.

Be sure to double click on the Folder Name and watch that the folder icon appears as an open folder.

After selecting and opening the new folder, I find it best to click and highlight a file name in the files list for more reliable operation.

Wayne

Now there's a promt response - cheers Wayne!

And if anyone has not tried this neat program,do so ASAP, and register it, (like I did!)

:)

starbase1
07-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Wayne - while I have your attention!

I'm not having luck with the GIF coinversion - but I found a work around. If I move the GIF's awy and leave PNG's there, Accutrans is smart enough to pick up the PNG's without asking!

Cool!
:thumbsup:

I'm now trying to work out which option I have set though which is generating VERY large numbers of surfaces, to the point where modeller crawls...

Clues gratefully received, as always

MicroMouse
07-28-2011, 05:41 PM
When AccuTrans was originally designed it was to be a simple program and only one surface per layer was needed. Therefore one reason for getting lots of layers is because AccuTrans has to divide any layer using multiple surfaces into many layers with one surface each.

To reduce the number of layers you can try the 'Tools -> Merge Layers With Same Materials' menu command.

OR

In the "Save With Options' dialog box, check the '1 Object - Multiple Materials' check box and one layer using multiple surfaces will be written to the LWO file.

If this does not solve the problem, email me directly.

Wayne

starbase1
07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks Wayne, I'll give that a go this evening.

meshpig
07-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Why can't you just convert the gifs to png's or psd's in Photoshop?

starbase1
07-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Why can't you just convert the gifs to png's or psd's in Photoshop?

Because the object still points to GIF. And as soon as it gets to a GIF LW gves an error, and will not let you point to a different file, (not like it does when say a JPG is misssing).

meshpig
07-29-2011, 07:20 AM
I see, an inscrutable exe file.

starbase1
07-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Worked beautifully!

I have found before than ahything that starts out as a CAD file ends up messy and polygon + surface count heavy, but the end result was pretty handy thanks to AT3D

MicroMouse
07-29-2011, 11:43 PM
That's great that your problem was solved.

Wayne