PDA

View Full Version : Falling elements

Nigel Baker
07-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Hello all,

I have a general question about an animation I would like to try.
I have an element, a map made up of two point polygons. They all make up the map elements. There are about six hundred elements that create the full map.

I wish to have the map fall past the camera and onto the ground from 700m high, out of the camera view to 0m ground level into camera view.
Rather than doing all the elements individually is there a way I can let them fall to the ground by using an effector like gravity or some other way.

Something similar to Cinema4D.

I have one version rendering right now but I would like to have a more gravity like and random feeling to the fall.
Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

Regards,
Nigel

nickdigital
07-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Try using HardFX. Add it to your object via the Object Properties>Dynamics tab. You'll need to add a Collision object for the ground. It could just be a null with the Collision type set to Plane. You could then either add Gravity to the object itself or add it as another dynamics object.

Nigel Baker
07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Hello NickDigital,

Thank you for the suggestions.
The 600 or 700 elements are in two separate nulls each with about 300 layers each. Each layer may have 10 400 two point polygons.

Does the HArd FX need to be added to the 600 - 700 individual elements or can it be added to the Null that houses them?

Thanks for your posting.
It is turning out very interesting.

Regards,
Nigel

nickdigital
07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
The 600 or 700 elements are in two separate nulls each with about 300 layers each. Each layer may have 10 400 two point polygons.

Does the HArd FX need to be added to the 600 - 700 individual elements or can it be added to the Null that houses them?

Do you mean object instead of null? You apply HardFX to each object. So if you had an object that had 10 layers you'd apply it to each layer.

Nigel Baker
07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Hello NickDigital,

No I have two Nulls.
In each null there is about 300 objects each make up the complete map.
That would mean I have to add Hard FX to all 700 objects individually :) sweet.

Is there a way of adding Hard FX by a shift clicking or can it only be added to an individual object one at a time?

Regards,
Nigel

nickdigital
07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Hm, I still don't understand how your nulls contain geometry.

Nigel Baker
07-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Hello NickDigital,

Apologies, maybe I am explaining myself incorrectly.
What I mean is, in layout I have two Nulls.
Each Null Contains a separate .lwo file
Each modeler file has 300 layers in it.
Each layer can have 10 200 maybe more, two point polygons.

I can not merge the modeler files down because the individual layers are need to highlight and use.

I hope that gets the situation across.
Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,
Nigel

nickdigital
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Ah...you're talking about a Parent-Child relationship in Layout. I see says the blind man now.

Not sure about selecting HardFX to multiple objects. If you can merge down that would be easiest but as you said that's not an option.

Good luck with this one. Maybe you can do some creative text editing with the lws file in notepad.