PDA

View Full Version : iVGA and PowerPoint Video

garypen
07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
iVGA does not broadcast WMV videos that play from within PowerPoint. We just get a black box where the video would be. Is this normal? Is there a way to get it to work?

I see in another thread that playing non-WMV videos in a separate player seems to work for some people. Would this work with a non-WMV video within PowerPoint? I'm not sure what other formats besides WMV that PPT can play from within a slide.

Thanks in advance.

Will Waters
07-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Hi Gary,

Try right clicking on the iVGA icon in the system tray once it is running. Make sure Media Player has a check mark beside it. This puts iVGA into a mode to interface with Windows Media Player. Even so, some content that contains DRM may not be able to be viewed.

garypen
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks Will. I don't have that option in my version of iVGA (1.32). So, I assume I need a newer version. Where can I download the newest version? I don't see that file when I login into My Account on the NewTek site. It only lists iVGA for Mac, not Windows.

garypen
07-27-2011, 12:11 PM
UPDATE:
I found the Windows version. Apparently, it's included in the "TriCaster Utilities" file. Not easy to find, I might add. It might be a good idea for NewTek to document this stuff on the download page, so people know what files contain what apps.

Also, the version included in the Utilities file is still 1.32, which does not have a "Media Player" option. (It doesn't have "Enable Uncompressed", which the doc file says should be available when gigabit LAN is selected.

SBowie
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Not easy to find, I might add. It might be a good idea for NewTek to document this stuff on the download page, so people know what files contain what apps.I don't disagree that downloads could sometimes be more clearly labeled, but just to point it out - if your TriCaster software is up to date, you always have the latest version right in your installation, inside the C:\TriCaster\ folder. You will find it either in a sub-folder named "iVGA", or "TriCaster iVGA".

p.s., you could try the Lower Hardware Acceleration option, but I think you might be running afoul of DRM. I haven't fooled with PP for years, but I think it can play most AVIs, so you might find a sensible alternative.

garypen
07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
This has nothing to do with DRM in this case. These are videos that are produced in-house. There just seems to be a general incompatibility with WMP.

This is something NewTek should work on fixing, as the main reason for using iVGA is to capture computer presentations, which in Windows is usually PowerPoint. And, playing videos from within PowerPoint is a fairly common practice.

SBowie
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
This is something NewTek should work on fixing, as the main reason for using iVGA is to capture computer presentations, which in Windows is usually PowerPoint.Odd, actually, that it hasn't come up before, or much. It might be useful for you to prepare a short sample clip that demonstrates the issue, and submit it with a bug report: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110229

garypen
07-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Okey dokie. Thanks.

As for the lack of documented customer issues with this, perhaps they just accepted it as a known limitation, and settled for the workaround of using separate non-WMP player.

SBowie
07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Could be - anyway, appreciate your bringing it up and following thru ...