PDA

View Full Version : iVGA without second monitor

Yeusef
07-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Hello All!

In short= i want to SIMULATE a second screen attached to my computer so i can then SIMULATE a capture with the iVGA capture. WITHOUT THE SECOND SCREEN!

In Long= I am wanting to use iVGA to screen cast my "second monitor". But i dont want to carry a second monitor with me. I am running OSX on a Macbook Pro. I have a graphics program called Boinx. I am mis-using the program a bit.... The program will switch cameras and has cool layered graphics. When you plug in a second monitor you can make the second monitor a full screen composited "output". See where i am going? I dont want to take the screen just to trick the computer into putting something on the screen. It is so freegin cyclical i cant even type it without confusing myself.

Thanks guys and gals.

Yeusef
07-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

bbeanan
07-30-2011, 02:17 PM
ok I will take a stab at it maybe try:

http://www.dviparrot.com/

or a VNC hardware client. You basically need to plug smothing into the port for windows to see the port, unless you know a programmer who can custom write a driver fro your video card to force it on all of the time

joseburgos
07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
The software he is talking about only runs on Mac Brett.

Yeusef,
Something you should know is iVGA does not preform well on all Mac's. I would just hook up a VGA monitor to the Mac and run iVGA and choose 2nd display. Then test your idea of using it. If you are satisfied with the results, then you can proceed in you "iVGA without 2nd monitor" trek. If it where me, I would purchase a inexpensive Gefen DVI to RGBS Scaler which will take a VGA or DVI input. It cost less than $300 and works well IMHO. This would give you the ability to use the component output of the Gefen as a video source for the TriCaster at full frame rate and very good video quality. But if you think iVGA worked well in your test and you have all your TriCaster inputs filled, then just use the Genfen as a 2nd display as it will be detected as such.
So no matter what, the Gefen device would help your video production needs and is a good addition to your TriCaster.

Take care,

Yeusef
08-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Jose,

Thank You! Good idea, and i was NOT impressed with iVGA on my mac. I need to test again with the VGA keying, but had to scrap the whole graphics computer because of low iVGA performance. (With non supported and non recommended "graphics" programs = BoinxTV and ProPersenter)

I just went with the internal generated text. Which did prove to be sufficient.

joseburgos
08-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Did you try enabling the Keynote feature on iVGA to see if it helped any? I remember doing test with ProPresenter and the Keynote enable helping but that was a while back. This is on the top of my list of things document and test this month, ProPresenter on Mac with TriCaster. I am also going to test the AirPlay feature on the 850 Extreme to see how it works with ProPresenter and other software on the Mac.

NRBC_Media
08-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I am now forced to use Propresenter for iMag, and the iVGA to the Tricaster Studio crashes every show on the iMac. I am almost at the point of buying a scan converter.

Is there any update work being done on Mac iVGA?

joseburgos
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I am now forced to use Propresenter for iMag, and the iVGA to the Tricaster Studio crashes every show on the iMac. I am almost at the point of buying a scan converter.

Is there any update work being done on Mac iVGA?

Just in case, you are using the latest iVGA for MAC added 04-27-2010 right? Its in the downloads section of registration if you need it.

Take care,

NRBC_Media
08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes, I am using the latest in my downloads section. One other annoyance, after it crashes, it always defaults back to monitor 1 output, even though the second display is running projectors. Since I imagine most users select the second display if available, it would be nice to set that as the default.

In my experience, iVGA worked/works great with a PC, not so well with Mac.

bbeanan
08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
a scan converter is your best bet...