PDA

View Full Version : 10.1?

rcallicotte
07-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Any word when we will get the upgrade to 10.1? Not rushing, just wondering.

Nicolas Jordan
07-24-2011, 09:01 PM
If you own 10 you have access to the beta builds of 10.1.

hrgiger
07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
If you own 10 you have access to the beta builds of 10.1.

Not necessarily. Apparently, anyone who bought in within the last month or two (don't know the exact date) is no longer eligible for the private forums. The cutoff was sometime in mid to early June I think.

Nicolas Jordan
07-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Not necessarily. Apparently, anyone who bought in within the last month or two (don't know the exact date) is no longer eligible for the private forums. The cutoff was sometime in mid to early June I think.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was not aware of that. So I guess this means no more new Hardcore members.

Philbert
07-25-2011, 02:11 AM
It seems like a good guess that they would like to have something to show for Siggraph.

littlewaves
07-25-2011, 03:06 AM

I was about to email customer service and ask just that question.

I was thinking seriously of taking the plunge before the end of next month but they've moved the goalposts yet again. What was already going to be a serious a leap of faith has now looking like a bridge too far.

Until recently the offer on the site said buy by end of this month and get the same locked in upgrade price for the next few versions. The (before the end of this month) they changed that offer to still have the reduced price until end of august but no more locked in upgrades. (An I guess now no beta access)

If I'd not had beta access during the LW9.x cycle I think I'd have left already.

Unfortunately I think Newtek are continuing to make dreadful decisions with regard to their customers.

Newtek should be begging people to stay at this stage not ending offers permaturely!

Philbert
07-25-2011, 03:19 AM
As for ending prematurely, technically they were going to start making us buy 11 pretty soon but it looks like that has been pushed off (I'm presuming).

littlewaves
07-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Just seen Newtek Europe still lists the offer including the rigging video and locked in upgrade price for next 5 versions.

I'll ask customer services to clarify.

I'm thinking the smart thing to do here is wait for LW11. By that I mean an actual software release not just some smoke and mirrors and an overly optimistic press release with a delusional "coming at the end of this quarter" release date. That could take years I guess

I really like lightwave and really want to stay but they're not making it an easy decision!

I'm half expecting the LW11 "announcement" to come at Siggraph but I think the actual release of the software is more likely two to three years

akaracquel
07-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Ohhhhhh, so THAT's why both customer & tech support have treated me like one hell of a bloody mudfunter!! Purchased/Received LW10 last week. The thing I pulled fresh out of it's box - is more buggy than MINECRAFT-alpha. No sir, it ain't "gold" at all!

Got access to core / beta builds a few days ago. Meh. I'll write more about the sucky install and absofinglutely pathetic journey of how I got access later. Probably worth sharing, because I couldn't find enough info about it on the DB or via google. In the meanwhile, I think I'm better off by just watching to see if this thread gets deleted or suspended first.

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/emoticons/555.gif

lardbros
07-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Ohhhhhh, so THAT's why both customer & tech support have treated me like one hell of a bloody mudfunter!! Purchased/Received LW10 last week. The thing I pulled fresh out of it's box - is more buggy than MINECRAFT-alpha. No sir, it ain't "gold" at all!

Got access to core / beta builds a few days ago. Meh. I'll write more about the sucky install and absofinglutely pathetic journey of how I got access later. Probably worth sharing, because I couldn't find enough info about it on the DB or via google. In the meanwhile, I think I'm better off by just watching to see if this thread gets deleted or suspended first.

Any chance of giving us details of where the bugs lie? Just saying it's buggy and leaving it at that is pretty useless... we might be able to help?!

rcallicotte
07-25-2011, 05:42 AM
I haven't had any problems with 10.0...well, hardly any and I've had it since March. I have the educational version, so I don't get access to the CORE forums. I know 10.1 was supposed to be released last month, from what I remember.

I know things have changed, since the latest announcements and I'm expecting something to be released soon - the 10.1 release was on the cusp right when the announcement about moving CORE to LW versions, so this is my expectation. Hope it's soon.

lardbros
07-25-2011, 05:58 AM
10.1 has had a lot of work done on it... expect some nice things, and more stability. 10.0 wasn't too bad for me, that's why I'd like to know the problems akaracquel was having!

Amurrell
07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Problems are usually caused by configs.

10.1 should be out soon (I can feel it) but NewTek is squashing as many bugs as they can now before the gold release with the help of the HardCORE community. I believe that's all I can say at this point, and if I said too much, Steve knows how to redact this.

Nicolas Jordan
07-25-2011, 07:02 AM
is more buggy than MINECRAFT-alpha. No sir, it ain't "gold" at all!

I've discovered that some issues I came across in Lightwave that I thought were bugs were not really bugs at all. I just didn't completely understand how certain features were intended to be used. From what I have found Lightwave 10.0 is a pretty solid release as far as Lightwave goes.

Bill Carey
07-25-2011, 07:59 AM
I recently picked up a different package. While there are very nice features in it and I'm having a good time learning it, stability-wise LW is very solid in comparison. 10.1 will do nothing but improve this.

dblincoe
07-25-2011, 08:27 AM
All packages have their bugs. 10 was pretty stable for me. 10.1 is shaping up to be solid...waiting to see what remaining issues are stamped out. There is hope guys and gals! Just hang on!

Remember it is wait for a stable product or get one too early and wait for bug fixes.

rcallicotte
07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks. Cool to know. I'd rather wait for solid, anyway. I'm a programmer and know testing is better than not.

Problems are usually caused by configs.

10.1 should be out soon (I can feel it) but NewTek is squashing as many bugs as they can now before the gold release with the help of the HardCORE community. I believe that's all I can say at this point, and if I said too much, Steve knows how to redact this.

littlewaves
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
CS got back to me BTW.

confirmed all the deals are off

However Newtek Europe still lists them (as below) - I've asked them to confirm (or more likely deny)

Special Offer - for a limited time only
Your LightWave 10.1 purchase includes these additional benefits:
- Guaranteed no price increase for the next five LightWave upgrades
- Shipping version of LightWave 10.1
- Free DVD, LightWave 10 Rigging: Revealed.
The DVD is not available yet and will be shipped when available.