PDA

View Full Version : object/layer replacement

marklynn
07-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Using V10...

I created an object with 14 layers, with polygons properly located where I want them in each layer. I named all the layers, and set the parent as layer 1 for all of the layers. I named the object "xxx_v001.lwo"

When I sent the object to Layout, the first thing I noticed was that I had to use "Motion Options" or Scene Editor to parent the layers properly. Apparently that work was wasted in Modeler.

In Modeler, I subsequently added another 10 layers with poly's, but they won't show up in layout. I can see them in Modeler, but they have not been able to cross over to Layout, and are not listed in Scene Editor

I saved the object as v002 and tried to replace the object in my scene... only the 1st layer gets loaded.

I can "replace layer from object", but it only does one layer at a time, and that seems limited too, especially when you have a lot of layers. I also have to re-parent the layer AND reposition the object.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? It must be me... it's always me :)

Mark M.

nickdigital
07-23-2011, 03:14 PM
I created an object with 14 layers, with polygons properly located in each layer. I named all the layers, and set the parent as layer 1 for all othe layers.I named it "xxx_v001.lwo"

When I sent the object to Layout, the first thing I noticed was that I had to use "Motion Options" Scene Editor to parent the layers properly. Apparently that work was wasted in Modeler.

This should work as you expected. It wouldn't work if you already had the object in Layout and then changed the parent relationship in Modeler and expected it to update in Layout. Once an object is in Layout the parent-child relationship is in the domain of Layout unless you add the object from scratch.

In Modeler, I subsequently added another 10 layers with poly's, but they won't show up in layout. I can see them in Modeler, but they have not been able to cross over to Layout, and are not listed in Scene Editor

Are you working with the Hub?

I saved the object as v002 and tried to replace the object in my scene... only the 1st layer gets loaded.

I can replace layer from object, but it only does one layer at a time, and that seems limited too, especially when you have a lot of layers.

Are you selecting the first layer of your object and then doing an object replace?

If that doesn't work you can load up your lws file in notepad and do a Find>Replace on your object to swap out to the new one.

Did you add the other layers manually or did they come in as a whole with the other layers? If you're adding layers manually, Layout has no way of understanding that the layer is linked to your other layers from the same object. It assumes you're adding a specific layer from a specific object.

marklynn
07-23-2011, 04:31 PM
This should work as you expected. It wouldn't work if you already had the object in Layout and then changed the parent relationship in Modeler and expected it to update in Layout. Once an object is in Layout the parent-child relationship is in the domain of Layout unless you add the object from scratch.

It may be that I modified the layers while the object was in Layout... this becomes understandable under that condition :)

Are you working with the Hub?

The Hub appears to be on

Are you selecting the first layer of your object and then doing an object replace?

Yes
Just checked again.... started Layout and opened my scene.. 14 of 24 layers were listed for the object in Scene Editor. Started Modeler and selected the model from the pull down list at top right of screen. All 24 layers were present and visible.... ;???

If that doesn't work you can load up your lws file in notepad and do a Find>Replace on your object to swap out to the new one.

Did you add the other layers manually or did they come in as a whole with the other layers? If you're adding layers manually, Layout has no way of understanding that the layer is linked to your other layers from the same object. It assumes you're adding a specific layer from a specific object.

I've been trying to get the layers to load with the object.. no luck... on another note, I've been experiencing some weird refresh issues in Layout with layer visibility... maybe I'll just do a clean re-install.. something sure isn't right.

nickdigital
07-23-2011, 08:19 PM
What happens if you add your 24 layer object from scratch? Do all 24 layers come in then? The issue may be that when you added the object with just the 14 layers, Layout doesn't understand that you've now added 10 more layers. Layout already assumes that you've added the object the way you want...with just the 14 layers.

dwburman
07-23-2011, 08:39 PM
It is possible to have a layer in the model that will not load in Layout. I don't know of any way for that to happen accidentally, so it probably is not the source of your problem.

At any rate, If you open the Layers panel in modeler (F7), you can see all the layers in your object. If you look at the last column on the right of the panel, you'll see an eyeball at the top. If your object layer does not have a dot (bullet point) in that column, then that layer will be hidden from Layout and will not load.

The only ways I can think of for this happening accidentally would be if (a) you clicked on that dot and turned it off it either accidentally or because you didn't know what it did or (b) you turned off a layer so it wouldn't show up in layout and then later reorganized your object and put something on that layer that you actually wanted to show up in Layout.

Again, I don't think that's probably what's happening here, but it doesn't hurt to know about it, and it's the kind of thing that's easily overlooked/unknown.

marklynn
07-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the last couple of suggestions....

The same version of the 24 layer object and v002 of the object both load just fine into the scene with v001 with all of their layers intact. It's like Layout has memorized a separate v001 and doesn't load it from disk, or has it hidden somewhere secret.

The eyeballs are all checked in the layers window... thanks for that. That would have been something I might have done, but didn't this time :)

I'm going to look into the .lws file as suggested earlier, but I'm thinking that might take more time than re-assembling the scene...

Thanks again.