PDA

View Full Version : Gradient Query?

daz1761
07-23-2011, 04:30 AM
After watching some more Dan Ablan videos, he briefly explains how to add a gradient to a ball by using a "Slope" from the drop down menu.

I wanted to do something similar on my ground which is just one big square polygon, but I couldn't quite get it to work right, the only way i got any sort of gradient to work was using "from camera" preset after changing it from "previous layer"

tbh, i dont actually understand many of the settings especially "previous layer"

Many thanks

Sensei
07-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Single polygon has just one normal vector, so gradient which is using this parameter to calculate effect, will look like "not working right"..But if you will start rotating such object, and rerendering/vpr you should see difference. But of course it won't be so cool as when you have regular model/ball. Better make such tests with more complicated geometry.

dwburman
07-23-2011, 04:34 PM
The Input Parameter sets what the gradient is based on.

Previous Layer means that the gradient is based on the brightness of the layer immediately beneath the gradient layer.

If you want something like a Photoshop's Radial gradient, you'll want to use Distance to Pivot Point or add a Null, set the Input Parameter to Distance to Object and set the Null as the Object.

I'm actually working a set of tutorials about gradients, but it will be a while before I'm done with them. I'm thinking about breaking it up into smaller parts so I can start releasing (selling) them early.

daz1761
07-23-2011, 05:01 PM
The Input Parameter sets what the gradient is based on.

Previous Layer means that the gradient is based on the brightness of the layer immediately beneath the gradient layer.

If you want something like a Photoshop's Radial gradient, you'll want to use Distance to Pivot Point or add a Null, set the Input Parameter to Distance to Object and set the Null as the Object.

I'm actually working a set of tutorials about gradients, but it will be a while before I'm done with them. I'm thinking about breaking it up into smaller parts so I can start releasing (selling) them early.

Bloody hell, i thought creating a gradient layer would be as simple as photoshop by dragging the gradient tool from one area to the other lol

What you say sort of makes sense but some tutorials would be amazing :) so if i didnt want a radial gradient and wanted a ten a penny white to black (linear), what would i set it to? and also how do you make a null an object? if that doesnt sound too silly as i do probably know and have done it somewhere along the line :eek:

Many thanks

SteveH
07-23-2011, 05:48 PM
To add a null it's a button under the add heading on the left hand side of layout. You can name it what you want, change the shape - so you can find it again easily. Then use that null's name when you set up the gradient. Hope that helps a little.

daz1761
07-23-2011, 05:55 PM
To add a null it's a button under the add heading on the left hand side of layout. You can name it what you want, change the shape - so you can find it again easily. Then use that null's name when you set up the gradient. Hope that helps a little.

Cheers mate, I have used nulls and had objects parented to them and nulls parented to nulls etc, i'm just a little confused still about gradients within LW10, i think im best having another play tomorrow and seeing how i get on unless any other helpfull answers come through this evening

but thanks for your help

Many thanks

dwburman
07-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Nulls are basically object with no vertices that are created by layout.

If you use X (or Y or Z) Distance to Object, you'll get something like PS's Reflection Gradient.

To do a linear gradient, you could move your null to the edge of your plane so that you only see one side of the gradient.You can do a linear gradient in the node editor, but I'm guessing you're not ready for that.

You could use gradient based on a weight map to do what you want. I'll throw together a quick vid to demonstrate it rather than trying to type the instructions all out.

EDIT: Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=you23LuWbCU

UnCommonGrafx
07-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Follow Mr. Burman's Tute.

It is exceptional in its explanation, simplicity and elegance on the topic.

kosmodave
07-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Follow Mr. Burman's Tute.

It is exceptional in its explanation, simplicity and elegance on the topic.

:agree: very nice tutorial Mr Burman thanks for posting. I will be keeping my eye out for your commercial ones as there is always good stuff to learn in your tutorials.

Dave

dwburman
07-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I like to help when I can.

daz1761
07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Nulls are basically object with no vertices that are created by layout.

If you use X (or Y or Z) Distance to Object, you'll get something like PS's Reflection Gradient.

To do a linear gradient, you could move your null to the edge of your plane so that you only see one side of the gradient.You can do a linear gradient in the node editor, but I'm guessing you're not ready for that.

You could use gradient based on a weight map to do what you want. I'll throw together a quick vid to demonstrate it rather than trying to type the instructions all out.

EDIT: Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=you23LuWbCU

Amazing, thank you very much, its a shame your not in the area as I would of bought you a pint ;)

I have used weight maps when we first started to learn LW in uni as we had to create UV maps and put ourselves on a model person so it makes perfect sense when watching your turorial

Thanks again guys, much appreciated :)

Just one question if I may, when i use the VPR and move my null around, the gradient doesnt follow, but when I exit the VPR and go back to it after moving my null the VPR catches up

Is this because i am using a 2 core processor? its just i noticed it was keeping up on your computer

Also, what does "Shift + -" do, does it just remove weight maps?

Thanks again!

dwburman
07-25-2011, 05:32 PM
You're welcome. :)

The VPR updating issue may be one of the things that will be fixed in the next release.

"shift + -" or "_" will clear whatever vertex map you have selected in the bottom right corner of modeler (Morphs, Colors, Selection Sets, Weights, & UVs) from whatever geometry you have selected. Remember that in Modeler, if nothing is selected, then everything is selected.

Sometimes it might be easier to just make a gradient in PS and project it onto your geometry as an image map, especially if you want to spin it for some reason. :)