PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Tree animation in lightwave3d

dmind
07-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Video tutorial about animating trees in Lightwave 3D using displacement mapping and weight maps. This technique can be applied to any vegetation and can be used on any version of lightwave. This is a technique of many of how to do it, but is very fast and works perfectly. I hope you find it useful. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bliPxn5e7mM

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MjDI07LsJiA/TihKfczAAlI/AAAAAAAAALA/585qxr-xeq4/BlackCave_2.jpg
www.dgmind.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Digital-Mind-Animation/111240865572293
The tree model:

prometheus
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
great results...thanks for sharing..
would be nice if you coud add a voice narration instead of the music thou.

Michael

nickdigital
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

calilifestyle
07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
This great,really enjoyed it.

Cloak&Dagger
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
excellent stuff. Thanks for sharing

LW_Will
07-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Amazing.

Keep it up, dude!

adk
07-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Awesome tute, simple with great results. I'm sure I'll be using it soon. Cheers a heap dmind :thumbsup:

geo_n
07-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks. subscribed on ytube

dee
07-22-2011, 04:13 AM
Thank you. :thumbsup:

archijam
07-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Nice!

Just curious, did you also animate the branches slightly? Seemed so in the animation, but could have been camera movement.

FredyN
07-22-2011, 07:39 AM
:thumbsup: WoooW! :thumbsup:

sandman300
07-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Awesome tutorial.

COBRASoft
07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Damn, that looks simple to do :o! I will try this out :).

Svenart
07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
wow... very interesting.. thanks for sharing

daforum
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
This is a great tutorial, thanks for the share dmind :)

alesxander
07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
excellent tutorial. thanks a lot

alesxander,
http://alesxander.com

Dreamcube017
07-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Great tutorial.

Where did you get that tree from?

I'm trying to find a few free plugins to make trees and I know they were mentioned before, but I'm googling "Free tree and plant plugins Lightwave" and can't find really anything. I'd use Vue if it didn't take 45 minutes to render a frame on this computer.

Fadlabi
07-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks very much :thumbsup:

Boris Goreta
07-23-2011, 02:06 PM
DPont has free Verdure tree generation plugin:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Verdure/DP_Verdure.html

Great tutorial.

I'm trying to find a few free plugins to make trees and I know they were mentioned before, but I'm googling "Free tree and plant plugins Lightwave" and can't find really anything. I'd use Vue if it didn't take 45 minutes to render a frame on this computer.

JeffrySG
07-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Very cool tutorial! Thanks for sharing! :)

dmind
07-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Great tutorial.

we use x-frog, not a plugin, is a stand alone aplication. In his web you can find a lot of free models, but Dpont plugin (previously posted) is great and free.

http://xfrog.com/2011/01/130-free-xfrogplants-now-available/

Important!! For faster rendering copy tranparency texture in Clipmap (Object properties/render), but only for leaves. Also this fixes the problem of fog with transparency and alpha/depth channel will be correct. :thumbsup:

prometheus
07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
we use x-frog, not a plugin, is a stand alone aplication. In his web you can find a lot of free models, but Dpont plugin (previously posted) is great and free.

http://xfrog.com/2011/01/130-free-xfrogplants-now-available/

Important!! For faster rendering copy tranparency texture in Clipmap (Object properties/render), but only for leaves. Also this fixes the problem of fog with transparency and alpha/depth channel will be correct. :thumbsup:

X-frog used to be a plugin for lightwave, but support for later versions of lightwave..dunno?
X-frog plugin for maya seem to be going strong yet thou.

Michael

H_Molla
07-25-2011, 09:11 AM
very good..

Cesar Rodriguez
07-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Very nice, I saw the film before this tutorial. So its interesting to see approach on that project. Good Job

Nicolas Jordan
07-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing. :)

Salv8or
07-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Great tut! Easy to understand and a simple technique.
Well done, and thnx.

Amurrell
07-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Nice!

Just curious, did you also animate the branches slightly? Seemed so in the animation, but could have been camera movement.

Starts at about 2:29 - 2:31 in the vid.

lardbros
07-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Great stuff... I've done this with grass before, but never with a tree... looks great! :D

Thanks very much!

AmigaNewTek
07-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Great!!! Very nice tutorial.

How do you draw the trees and leaf?

zapper1998
07-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Important!! For faster rendering copy tranparency texture in Clipmap (Object properties/render), but only for leaves. Also this fixes the problem of fog with transparency and alpha/depth channel will be correct.

Ok I am lost on this ....
Do U have an example
Please
Thank You
Mike

lardbros
07-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Do U have an example
Please
Thank You
Mike

Hopefully I can explain in words for you, atleast until an example can be posted. (Apologies if any of this is patronising, I will go into a little bit of detail to try and explain.)

So, the transparency map just tells a surface to be transparent where needed... in this case it will be the leaves objects, wherever there isn't leaf, it needs to be see-through. The edge of the polys need to be transparent, but the Lightwave renderer will still trace through these transparent parts of the polygons even thought they are effectively invisible. To stop the renderer wasting time on this, you can apply the same transparency map to the object, properties, 'clip map' and this will literally cut the transparent parts of the leaves away, and therefore not waste time raytracing through the transparent parts as they will have been clipped from the render.

Hope my lame-ish explanation helps a bit at least! :D

archijam
07-28-2011, 06:42 AM
To add to lard-bros explanation, try rendering a scene with transparent glass in it, and one with a clip map.

- The transparent glass scene will still take more render time, as it will be checking for refraction,light intensity, etc. The clip map scene will experience almost no render difference.

- The second (HUGE) difference is the z-buffer. Imagine rendering with fog, and solid elements. the glass will show up in the z depth image, the clip-map not. for compositing, this is a must.

dmind
07-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Do U have an example
Please
Thank You
Mike

Lardbros and Archijam have explained it very well, but i hope this image clarify your doubts. The render with clipmap is more than double faster.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/966/clipmap.jpg

NinoK
07-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice!

He did this in the middle of the video by adding another displacement map but this time not limiting the effect to a weight map for just the leaves but rather used Y distance to keep the trunk of the tree from moving while still allowing the thinner branches towards the top to sway.

Great tutorial by the way!

Mr Rid
07-31-2011, 03:17 AM
Cool!

Or you can do something stupid like make a tree out of hyper voxels-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cLzWWETGpc

But I think this weight method is a better alt to what I've been doing with a MorphMap in the Normal Displacement where a texture may function as a mask to break up a morph- 97033 But its good to know the MorphMap gag as it may be used for other groovie effects, like morphing this car (I believe Greenlaw set up)- http://www.box.net/shared/static/2ncizz2a4dg6eh3f6975.mov

MorphMap leaves:

- A set of leaf 'cards' may be generated from a tree mesh using FiberFX Strand Tool in Modeler.

- Then generate the same leaves again but rotate them slightly using jitter. This second set will be used to create a morph for the first set.

- Place the second leaf set in the background of the first set, and create a morph using 'Bkg to Morph.' Load the first leaves set into Layout.

- Apply Normal Displacement under deform tab. In 'Displacement Direction', select MorphMap option. In MorphMap, select the morph's name.

- Apply animated procedural in the texture.

SeaWiz
07-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I've been needing this for project I've been working on lately. Your demo will save me tons of extra work. Looking forward to trying this out.
Thanks again,
Rich Z

dmind
08-04-2011, 04:28 PM

In the tutorial, we animate branches very slightly using a displacement map. I recomend you to use skelegons and animate it by hand (for simulate stronger wind in the branches ). This combined with the animation of the leaves create a very realistic movement of the tree. See the attached image.

Mr Rid
08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I've also had luck simming blowy branches using a wind and bone dynamics.

lardbros
08-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Cool!

Or you can do something stupid like make a tree out of hyper voxels-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cLzWWETGpc

But I think this weight method is a better alt to what I've been doing with a MorphMap in the Normal Displacement where a texture may function as a mask to break up a morph- 97033 But its good to know the MorphMap gag as it may be used for other groovie effects, like morphing this car (I believe Greenlaw set up)- http://www.box.net/shared/static/2ncizz2a4dg6eh3f6975.mov

MorphMap leaves:

- A set of leaf 'cards' may be generated from a tree mesh using FiberFX Strand Tool in Modeler.

- Then generate the same leaves again but rotate them slightly using jitter. This second set will be used to create a morph for the first set.

- Place the second leaf set in the background of the first set, and create a morph using 'Bkg to Morph.' Load the first leaves set into Layout.

- Apply Normal Displacement under deform tab. In 'Displacement Direction', select MorphMap option. In MorphMap, select the morph's name.

- Apply animated procedural in the texture.

Niiiice.... hypervoxels tree? Never would have thought! The leaves falling really sells it, along with the earth popping out of the ground :D

archijam
08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
dmind: Had a chance to implement this, looks great! :thumbsup:

One thing I'm curious about - do you have a rule for the 'speed' of the procedural vs. the frames per second ? (I assume you didn't bother with this part yet in the demonstration...)

Cheers!

dmind
08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
dmind: Had a chance to implement this, looks great!

One thing I'm curious about - do you have a rule for the 'speed' of the procedural vs. the frames per second ? (I assume you didn't bother with this part yet in the demonstration...)

The tutorial shows the technique in a very simplified, in reality can be complicated as you want. We show the base and the idea is that you play with technique.

Really speed and size of the texture can be anything you want, or required by the object size. Frames per second are not important, animation must be adapted to the FPS configuration of Lightwave.

One of the most common errors of 3D professionals is to find rules for all. Most often the simplest way is the right, if it looks good, then fine. (rules of the old school) :thumbsup:

DrStrik9
08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Great tutorial.

Using Pawel Olas' plugin, TreesDesigner, the trunk, and multiple levels of branches all have 0-100 weight maps created parametrically with the modeling of the tree. So you can do the same thing as in this tut using Pawel's models, but make the branches move in very believable ways too - without the use of bones, etc. -- the leaves follow the weight of the moving branches, so it's very good. Believe me, those branch weight maps are a pain in the a** to create by hand, so TreesDesigner, being very well designed and implemented, is incredibly useful.

I used this technique years ago right after TreesDesigner was released. I think it was last year, when Pawel updated TreesDesigner, he didn't include a Mac version. :( He says he's porting it, but it's been awhile, with no port.

Right now, I don't know of ONE decent trees modeler available for Mac. So whoever jumps on that one will get quite a bit of response I would think. I'd LOVE to try Denis' DP Verdure!

Wishful thinking: Maybe Mike Wolf can help Denis to port DP Verdure to Mac, preferably 64-bit? :)

CaptainMarlowe
08-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Despite being written for LW 7.5, DPont lscript Treecage is still more or less working on Mac 10.1.
You also have Arbaro that can create cool trees and export them to .obj that works fine on Mac.

DrStrik9
08-31-2011, 12:14 AM
Despite being written for LW 7.5, DPont lscript Treecage is still more or less working on Mac 10.1.
You also have Arbaro that can create cool trees and export them to .obj that works fine on Mac.

Got links?

CaptainMarlowe
08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Sorry, I was late for work this morning and didn't bother to put the links.
Treecage is available on Dpont's website (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm). It works but not at all attempts.

Arbaro is a java based app, hosted at sourceforge (http://arbaro.sourceforge.net/).

jeric_synergy
08-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Believe me, those branch weight maps are a pain in the a** to create by hand, so TreesDesigner, being very well designed and implemented, is incredibly useful.
IIRC*, somewhere in the dank hollows of the Internet, there's a script/p.i. that will take a branching structure, and apply a gradient weight map to it such that one end is 0% and the furthestmost tips of the branching is 100%.

Or if not, there should be. :devil:

(Just writing the above I thought of like 3 features one would need/want in such a utility.....)
*(Maybe I didn't "RC": identifying the branches purely algorithmically would be quite a trick. OTOH, if the user named the TRUNK and BRANCHES separately, that's significantly easier.)

jeric_synergy
08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Excellent tutorial-- at first I groaned about "no narration", but it was so perfectly paced and clearly illustrated that that was no trouble at all. Well done. :thumbsup:

The breaks to check the effect really made it clear what was happening.

Just to make sure I understand everything: the gradient "Y DIST TO PIVOT" reduces the displacement factor nearer the 'ground', correct?

jeric_synergy
08-31-2011, 01:12 PM
((branch animation)) ((watches video again))

Starts at about 2:29 - 2:31 in the vid.

I looked, but didn't see it. I can see how the leaves are animated, since they have a w.map applied, but it's escaping me how the branches are being displaced. It's all one displacement on the whole object, no?

I'm sure it's in there, but maybe it zooms by too fast. :o

DrStrik9
08-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Treecage is available on Dpont's website (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm). It works but not at all attempts.

Arbaro is a java based app, hosted at sourceforge (http://arbaro.sourceforge.net/).

Thanks, CaptainMarlowe. Both of these are pretty cryptic, but usable enough. I would much rather Denis P. and maybe Mike Wolf port DP Verdure to Mac. :)

IIRC*, somewhere in the dank hollows of the Internet, there's a script/p.i. that will take a branching structure, and apply a gradient weight map to it such that one end is 0% and the furthestmost tips of the branching is 100%.

Or if not, there should be. :devil:

Well, I Googled "Gradient Weightmap on Branching Structure," and guess what came up at the top of Googles' list? YOUR POST in this forum. Hahaha ... and nothing else of significance (sigh).

So maybe it was a dream you had? ... A very good dream nonetheless. :)

dmind
08-31-2011, 04:25 PM
just to make sure i understand everything: The gradient "y dist to pivot" reduces the displacement factor nearer the 'ground', correct?

I looked, but didn't see it. I can see how the leaves are animated, since they have a w.map applied, but it's escaping me how the branches are being displaced. It's all one displacement on the whole object, no?

With the gradient "Y dist to pivot", what we do is to cancel the effect in the base of the trunk (as it would be unrealistic), and focus on the highest branches of the tree (It is important that the pivot point must be at the base of the trunk ). You can increase the amount of movement increasing the value of the fractal texture or vary the speed by changing the position value on the Y axis.
You can also modify the values ​​of the gradient to make the displacement affect to more branches.

sebrady
09-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Nice!

what I did was make a morph in Modeler that sways back and forth. the tree trunk and the leaves were on different layers. you have to apply the same amount of morph to both layers in Layout so the swaying matches up. Then you apply the displacement map to the leaves layer object. so you get swaying AND the rustling of the leaves too..........yes this was an awesome tut, I will duplicate and add to my reel.

Mr Rid
09-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I just used wind on leaves with Cloth applied (using the weight as a 'fix' with 20% at the leaf base) that gets the most natural looking windblown effect as it can rise and fall and change direction, and combine with overall displacement.

For blowing branches, previously I didnt want the trunk to move but only the branches slightly, which were in layers. Each main branch and its leaves were world displaced with a 'distance to object' grad referencing a null where it attached to the trunk. I suppose if I wanted to add the trunk swaying, I could add a few bones and parent the ref nulls to the end bone.

But then I might try bone dynamics again so I could coherently apply wind(s) to the whole tree at once (no displacement) and see what kind of mess results. A few years ago I tested wind and bone dynamics that looked natural for swaying limbs but I wound up not needing. I still hope some day to find an actual use for bone dynamics. 97895 The biggest shortcoming has been that bones wont self collide.

3dworks
09-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Wishful thinking: Maybe Mike Wolf can help Denis to port DP Verdure to Mac, preferably 64-bit? :)

dp verdure pack is looking very cool and will be ported for mac when there is a stable version. apparently there's still a problem with the 64 bit code (windows and mac). i had the chance to test a build of the current version with the help from mike, but it was totally unstable. really looking forward this as well.

about other osx tree modeling software: there's a mac version of the very sophisticated (and rather expensive!) speedtree software suite and also onyx tree is still working as of OSX 10.6.8 (i don't know for lion, and unfortunately, onyx dropped any future mac support some time ago).

c4d has some plugins with mac support: xfrog and katachi dpit plants.

cheers

markus

archijam
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Pawel olas has a nice tree plugin too ...

3dworks
09-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Pawel olas has a nice tree plugin too ...

windows only, though ;)

dee
09-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Well, I Googled "Gradient Weightmap on Branching Structure," and guess what came up at the top of Googles' list? YOUR POST in this forum. Hahaha ... and nothing else of significance (sigh).

So maybe it was a dream you had? ... A very good dream nonetheless. :)

Not a dream, here you go:
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=3a576f67
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=614116b6

jeric_synergy
09-03-2011, 01:46 PM
With the gradient "Y dist to pivot", what we do is to cancel the effect in the base of the trunk (as it would be unrealistic), and focus on the highest branches of the tree (It is important that the pivot point must be at the base of the trunk ). You can increase the amount of movement increasing the value of the fractal texture or vary the speed by changing the position value on the Y axis..
Soooo.... the same displacement is applied to the branches as to the leaves??? 8~ I think I'm missing something in the use of the Alpha mode in the layer stack.

You can also modify the values ​​of the gradient to make the displacement affect to more branches.
Thanks SO much for your help here! :thumbsup: Great discussion.

jeric_synergy
09-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Not a dream, here you go:
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=3a576f67
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=614116b6
Bingo! :) :beerchug:

vector
10-28-2011, 02:07 AM
Muchas gracias.

Thanks. Very useful.

Víctor

medicalart
01-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Video tutorial about animating trees in Lightwave 3D using displacement mapping and weight maps. This technique can be applied to any vegetation and can be used on any version of lightwave. This is a technique of many of how to do it, but is very fast and works perfectly. I hope you find it useful. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bliPxn5e7mM

[

Fantastic ! Extremely interesting technique. I would never have thought of that on my own. I'll need to watch the video a few more times... Thanks!

skype6
03-25-2012, 06:15 AM
I just now stumbled upon this post! What a phenomenal tutorial!!! Big thanks for sharing this..

dmind
03-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks!! you can see in action in the trailer and reel posted here (Full movie very soon and for free):

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=124538
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126707
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/412889_387590264604017_111240865572293_1399195_133 6084784_o.jpg

PabloMack
12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
The results look good but an explanation is lacking. There is no narration and I couldn't follow what he was doing.

jeric_synergy
12-03-2012, 12:28 PM
The results look good but an explanation is lacking. There is no narration and I couldn't follow what he was doing.
If the OP didn't feel up to doing a narration, perhaps someone could watch it and create a narration for it, forward to the OP, and let it be reposted.

dmind
12-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Don´t worry, when I have some time I'll include explanatory texts.
But if you look closely, it's easy, just follow the steps...and play with the values to understand it (more funny!). :)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
www.dgmind.com
www.facebook.com/digitalmind.animation
Reel:www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjSMaGpkag

Bax33
12-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I just wanted to help out. I got so much out of DMind sharing this tutorial I just wanted to give back. DMind, if you'd like me to forward you the Word document i used to create this PDF I'd be more than happy to so you can add explainations. At any rate, I just documented what I saw happening in the tutorial and thought I'd share it.

My question regarding this is how to move the animated tree to a different scene. For example, if I've got a good animation of just the tree and leaves and I want to use it in a scene with a house, do I have to recreate it in that house scene or can I save it and import it into the house scene? I don't think I can save to an MDD file because its a displacement, right?

PS: Thanks so much for this tutorial dmind

erikals
12-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Great, thanks Bax! :]

gotta love the technique!

and... since on the tree subject, here is a small DP Verdure preview \:°
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbF3axvRmEg

:lightwave

dmind
12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I just wanted to help out. I got so much out of DMind sharing this tutorial I just wanted to give back. DMind, if you'd like me to forward you the Word document i used to create this PDF I'd be more than happy to so you can add explainations. At any rate, I just documented what I saw happening in the tutorial and thought I'd share it.

My question regarding this is how to move the animated tree to a different scene. For example, if I've got a good animation of just the tree and leaves and I want to use it in a scene with a house, do I have to recreate it in that house scene or can I save it and import it into the house scene? I don't think I can save to an MDD file because its a displacement, right?

PS: Thanks so much for this tutorial dmind

Simply.."load items from scene" (Be carefully with the scene scale, the fractal noise can vary), creating a MMD is another option. ;)

sami
12-07-2012, 05:07 PM
I might have missed this in this thread, but in case no one has mentioned it, 3DCoat has a secret/experimental/beta Tree Designer (search their forums) if you are a registered user, and makes gorgeous looking trees - but too high poly for realtime work - so for that I use Flora3D http://flora3d.net/ - which is simple to use and very inexpensive for what it does (I'm looking at you SpeedTree).

I've tried truckloads of free and shareware tree designers (though haven't tried the Pawel Olas plugin so excepting that) and believe me, most of the free and other ones out there are junk! Like I really want a slider for "Root Soil Nitrogen content per square meter" :twak: But seriously, this one is fairly basic and lets you try different approaches to getting great looking trees while keeping an eye on your poly and texture counts. Last time I tried Vue was the bundle with a LW upgrade and it was a nightmareish UI and I didn't want to invest the time for it's quirkiness when at the time it seemed like it was only for people making fantasy elf pr0n (I'm looking at you DAZ3D store). :D

Kaptive
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
One thing I find very useful, and this is a little tip for when dealing with trees...

Because you ideally want them set up using clip maps instead of transparency (which can only be done in layout), and now with a bit of wind (many thanks for the share dmind! genius!)...

So, it is worth setting up one big scene with all of your regular use trees in it, so that when it comes to adding trees to another scene, you just use (as Dmind said above) "load items from scene" and bring in the trees that you want to use en masse... clip mapped and animated. Call it the "Tree archive" or something.

This saves a tonne of time if you tend to create a lot of scenes with woodlands and trees in them. Nothing worse than having to set up clipmaps every time you load in a tree to instance etc.

Thinking about it, it'd probably be worth having several tree scenes to load from now...

1. Tree archive with No wind
2. Tree archive with light breeze
3. Tree archive windy
4. Tree archive gale force

That way you can pick clip mapped trees with the correct settings for what you are doing at the time. It really speeds things up.

I can't thank dmind enough on this clever and simple way of creating tree movement. It seems so obvious when you watch it, but I've messed about trying to do this for ages and used some stupid methods to get sub standard results using morphs and what have you. Watching the video is like having a moment of clarity... and then going away and banging your head against the wall screaming "I'm so stupid!!!!!".
I can't wait to try it!

sami
12-08-2012, 04:12 AM
good tip, but only if you are rendering. I tend to use Transparency maps with double-sided polys so that they can work in and be exported to game engines. This is a good method of animating leaves in LW. Some game-engines that I use LW made trees in have hardware shaders that act similarly and do a displacement mapping from the root to the branches and rustle quite effectively with that method and the GPU does all the grunt work.

Kaptive
12-08-2012, 10:11 AM
good tip, but only if you are rendering. I tend to use Transparency maps with double-sided polys so that they can work in and be exported to game engines. This is a good method of animating leaves in LW. Some game-engines that I use LW made trees in have hardware shaders that act similarly and do a displacement mapping from the root to the branches and rustle quite effectively with that method and the GPU does all the grunt work.

Never done any game stuff, so that is a new one to me. Interesting to know.
So yes, that tip is purely for rendering and making scenes in layout :)

SteveH
12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks to dmind for the tutorial and thanks to Bax33 for taking the time for the pdf explaination!

erikals
12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
thanks Sami for the link > http://flora3d.net
located the 3DCoat Tree Generator link > http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1003
also found this free one > http://ngplant.sourceforge.net