PDA

View Full Version : Dented texture flickering when rendered on different machines in fprime

Ulven
07-20-2011, 03:10 AM
We're currently rendering an animated TV series in fprime and the 'dented' procedural is causing us a lot of headaches. As it turns out, it flickers when rendered on certain machines on the renderfarm, but it is already deployed on a lot of surfaces.
I presume fprime doesn't have it's own implementation of this and is just asking lw for the surface information.
We're rendering in version 9.6.
Please look into this for us asap. (It looks a bit like those old problems one had when rendering on different types of processors)

Sensei
07-20-2011, 03:29 AM
Bake it to image map, if possible.

Ulven
07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
This is possible on only a few of the objects. Some are too large sets, and some of them are applied in world space.

Sensei
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Other idea is to use double resolution instead of AA, then resampling to original intended resolution in Photoshop. It might stop flickering.

Ulven
07-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Actually it's flickering between completely different computations of the procedural. When you go from one machine to another it will sometimes 'jump' the whole texture to a completely new solution, as if you had changed the position settings or something. Perhaps flickering was not the best word to use to describe it.

Sensei
07-20-2011, 10:44 AM
So, it sounds it's randomizing some values in fly.. Probably if you would render sequence, break it, then resume, it would also appear..
Randomizing textures must be baked.

zardoz
07-20-2011, 10:52 AM
are those different cpus?

paulhart
07-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Zardoz is going the same direction that I would first look. With procedural textures on my humble (4 station) "render farm" three of my CPUs are relatively recent AMD, while the fourth is an older Intel. It generates images that look fine individually, but when I composite the whole batch, they are the ones that I can isolate as causing a "flicker."
Paul

3DGFXStudios
07-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I can't seem to find the dented texture in 10.1. Maybe it got removed because it sucks ;). Or replaced by the turbulent noise node with has the same noise types if I remember it correctly

zardoz
07-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I work in a studio where all the computers have intel cpus now, but some time ago we had several amds. I'm the only lw station there, but they render a lot of animations with 3dsmax, and in the past they got two results (in terms of shading): the intel computers would render a 'look' and the amd ones a different 'look'.