PDA

View Full Version : How to route HD video long distances using the Teradek

pdxJoe
07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I produced an event a few weeks ago where we were using a Teradek for wireless man on the street interviews. We also wanted to link the keynote hall tricaster output as an input to our expo hall newsdesk tricaster. (both tricasters were streaming to the Internet). The distance was too far for any type of copper and routing fiber was out of the question as well. We ended up using the Teradek in a wired network setting to accomplish this.

During Keynotes the teradek encoder was with the keynote tricaster, feeding the decoder at the newsdesk. Afterwards, the teradek encoder was placed on a handheld roamer camera for man on the street interviews during the broadcast.

Video Overview of this Tip
Youtube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zapJYKymkKc&feature=player_embedded#at=25)

PROBLEM: You have an HD video signal that needs to be sent from one side of a building to another with minimal latency and quality loss. Laying out your own cable is not an option.

SOLUTION: Almost all business buildings today have CAT5 wiring for computer networking. Using the Teradek product it is possible to route your signal long distances using the the local nework between your video source and video destination.

HOW TO:
Cabling:
You will need to work with the networking contact of the building to obtain live network jacks at your source and destination. Ideally the route between source and destination would be a private VLAN, or routed through off network hubs / switches. Using the office LAN may result in poor performance depending on the network design and traffic load.

Teradek:
The Teradek is an advanced H.264 encoder / decoder pair. It will accept either HD-SDI or HDMI video (720p, 1080i). The encoder will need to be configured with an acceptable IP address. The decoder will need to be configured with an acceptable IP address and also the IP address of the encoder. On a 'dry run' networking pair you will need to manually define IP information. On a functioning network you may configure via DHCP. The source and destination network address must be on the same network, or 'pingable'.

Output:
The teradek decoder will output a signal as HD-SDI or HDMI depending on the model purchased. This can then be brought into your needed application.

Example of Use:
At O'Reilly's Velocity 2011 Conference this solution was used to route video from the Keynote Address to the EXPO hall floor. This included routing the signal through multiple patch panels in the venue. The routing covered a distance of several thousand feet. The advantages are that we utilized in place infrastructure to route video where it would only be possible otherwise through an expensive and unsightly cable drop.

NachoJimenez
07-22-2011, 07:34 AM
I've been looking into teradek cube for roaming cameras for a while, but I'm afraid the latency could be a problem.

How was the latency?

pdxJoe
07-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Latency was 1/2 to 1 second at the most.

If you are using it as a man on the street segment or a cut away shot, it isn't an issue.

But I think you would have issues if you wanted to bring the wireless camera into a live sport action shot.

I don't see latency being a production deal breaker. It will just be something that you know to produce around....

Joe

mewcomm
08-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Excellent Post PDX JOE!

You just saved me a couple of hours of research and general, "can we make this work?" angst!

Thanks from LA

Cheers,
Mike

joseburgos
08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Very nice piece of hardware Joe, thanks for sharing. The WiFi unit seems interesting as well :)

Take care,

PIZAZZ
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Nice find Joe.