PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems

3dfanatic
10-09-2003, 06:29 AM
Any idea why the sound stops recording on the VT3? After about 30 seconds it just stops recording the sound even though when playing the dv camcorder back there is diffenetly sound. Any help would be great.

PIZAZZ
10-09-2003, 08:44 PM
more details would definitely help us help you.

That doesn't happen here that I have seen.

3dfanatic
10-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Well looks like one of my brand new hard drives is screwed up. I unstripped the 2 73.6 cheetah drives and one got 33 m/s and the other got only 2 m/s so I am taking that one back today. There is still a problem when capturing from a DV camcorder though. On my good set of drives I am still getting the sound to fall behind the video. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Any help would be great. Thanks for the help.

Paul Lara
10-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Are you using Update 1?
We've identified an audio synch bug that's affecting some DV captures.

3dfanatic
10-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Hi Paul,
yes got the update the newtek tech support suggested that my firewire drivers might be the wrong ones so I updated them today. GOt my fingers crossed going to start to capture dv stuff in just a few minutes if it all goes good or bad I will let you know.
thanks for the help

3dfanatic
10-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Well I got everything working but the sound is still way off. I remember that in the past with vt1 you had to send ur audio to a different drive is that the same situation on vt3? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Scott Bates
10-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Audio on a separate drive was the case only with VT[1] (VTNT). That was changed when VT[2] was released and remains the same with VT[3]. Many of us still have separate audio drives for music, sound effects, etc., but there is no option to send audio that comes with video to a separate drive when capturing or transferring DV via firewire. If you do move it off your video drives your projects won't know where to find it and if you then load it into a project from elsewhere you won't be able to lock it to it's video.

3dfanatic
10-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Boy this is so frustrating trying to get this dvd done but can't even line up the video with the sound so frustrating. I hope some one can help me soon with this. To bad there tech support isn't in on Saturday or Sunday to help out. Tryed to do the old fashion way s-video in and sound in but the sound doesnt seem to be coming in. Hmm what a nightmare. Anyway thanks for all those that try to help.

Scott Bates
10-11-2003, 11:26 AM
You haven't mentioned if you've checked your firewire/audio cables to make sure they're good. Swapped firewire cables when trying to transfer DV? Swapped audio cable(s) when trying to capture analog? Do you have a BoB that you're running things through?

At the beginning fo this thread you said DV audio stopped transferring after 30 seconds, but in posts #2, 4 and 5 said the audio didn't sync with the video which would infer that you got all the audio, but it wasn't synced?

Are you writing to a new (different) file name each time you try? Seems like someone else had a similar problem and traced it down to the fact that each time they tried capturing/transferring they were saving to the same file name, that orginal file still existed on the system and was causing audio capture to stop. Just a shot from vague memory....

3dfanatic
10-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Actually,
the sound was stopping in the middle at first due to a bad hard drive. Now i am running 4 other scsi drives and the sound just isnt finishing up at the end and falling behind. It sounds fine when i preview on the tv monitor. I have not tryed new cable which I will try tonight. Also it is always saving a new file. I get to the new one and make sure to delete the bad one. Thanks for the help just a little frustrated this morning. Thanks for the help.

3dfanatic
10-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Hi all, thanks for all the help finally got this thing fixed tonight. I found out it had to do witha few settings that were set to low such as the ddr cach and also the pci cach. Another thing I did I think had alot to fixing this was a defrag on the main scsi drive. Now I feel much better can get back to getting this thing edited. Thanks again all. Hope to be here much more now. Great community here so far from what I can see. Very helpfull people.

Jim_C
10-12-2003, 01:02 PM
>>Great community here so far from what I can see. Very helpfull people.

you really don't know the half of it.
Mix this forum with these 2:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VTNT/messages
http://www.videotoasternt.com/forums/
and you have access to what is probably the best grass roots support system ANYWHERE!

ps,, are you capturing DV type 1? There have been some issues wth Type1 and the new patch.

3dfanatic
10-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi Jim_C,
I am sorry im just a newbie what do you mean about type dv 1. I am using a Sony PDX10 and was filming the event with DV Cam on which I should of done with Dv SP. Not sure if this is what you meant? I still seem to be having some problems with the sound sync. I got one section of it to record perfect then it went down again not sure what is teadering it to be unsuccesful. I am honestly thinking it might be the hard drives but not sure maybe one of them is intermintante. One last question for those out there. What is the standard setting for the DDR cache PCI bandwidth and what is this to do with? Also what is VT-edit cache PCI bandwidth? Those are 2 settings that I still am trying to figure out what they should be at.
Thanks for any help.

3dfanatic
10-13-2003, 01:06 AM
Well tried almost everything that I could to get the audio to sink with the toaster with no luck! I did figure out another way though to actually capture it with no loss. I finally got a i-link cable 4 to 4 and was able to capture this on my laptop. More of a pain but at least the sound works great now. At least I can get back to work now. Thanks for all the help.